West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+7
Jiggs
Suzanne Claret
IronDane
alfiehammer
Tony P
Kray JR
Arran H
11 posters

Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half .............

Arran H
    Reserves

Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half ............. Empty Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half .............

Post  Arran H Sun 03 Aug 2014, 7:33 am

Do think our Squad is good enough to actually finish in the top half of the table and that the reason we don't seem to play well etc is down to fact that we are not suited to of style play that Sam sets out to play ?
    Do you think if we had a Manager like Gus Poyet , Roberto Martinez etc we would be playing good football and finishing in the top half every year with the current Squad we have ?

IMO I think we have a Squad good enough to finish in the top 10 it just we need a better Manager who can get the best out of the players and Actually play them in their RIGHT positions etc
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half ............. Empty Re: Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half .............

Post  Kray JR Sun 03 Aug 2014, 4:23 pm

The squad and manager aren't good enough IMO.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half ............. Empty Re: Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half .............

Post  Tony P Sun 03 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm

Kray JR wrote:The squad and manager aren't good enough IMO.

stupid
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sun 03 Aug 2014, 5:05 pm

the thing with pre season is although your (hopefully) spending some money and making some good additions (hopefully) to your squad...so too (usually) is everyone else. Everton just bought lukaku for £28 million and swansea bought Gomis etc. So its very hard to make and gains on the teams that finish above your and pull away fem the teams that finished below you. 

That said I do consider us reasonably safe premier league club now. Theres three promoted clubs who are usually the three favourites for the drops and teams like Palace who over achieved last year and may fall foul of 'second season syndrome'. Saints have been ripped apart by liverpool and may take bait of time to adjust and rebuild. Aston Villa are being sold by their owner so won't see much money spent on progressing them. And I believe benteke is injured. 

So somehow there are worse off teams then us. 

I think no lower then 14 ( assuming Cole really isn't our first choice and we persist with nolan off him and O brien at left back when we got cress well). <--------- if we carry on with the stuff in brackets its going to be a long old relegation fight. But I would still expect us to stay safe. 

Top ten? no I really can't see that happening. And thats not just down to BFS, I don't think our current group of players are any better then the 11th spot we did achieve
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 03 Aug 2014, 9:16 pm

As David Sullivan said when he rang into TalkSport last week - "Sam's brief has never been merely survival. We want improvement year on year and to start competing with the big boys" (not quoting him verbatum but that is the gist of what he said). He did not deliver that last year and I doubt he will this year

I don't normally give much credence to pre-season games but this year I am truly appalled by how we have played. I would like to think that Spurs at home will mean the players raise their game, but let's face it if we play the same players in the same positions in the same style as last year then I seriously doubt it
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Mon 04 Aug 2014, 10:40 am

Yeah, I'm with Tony..
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Mon 04 Aug 2014, 2:59 pm

I think the squad is good enough (if they are all fit, yeah right when does that ever happen) but I don't think Sam can get the best out of them.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Tue 05 Aug 2014, 2:21 pm

Tony P wrote:
    Kray JR wrote:The squad and manager aren't good enough IMO.

stupid

yeah that 
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Wed 06 Aug 2014, 8:33 am

I see mid to lower table (12th-15th) security.obsurity
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Thu 07 Aug 2014, 4:17 pm

I wonder what it's like to support a football club without experiencing the fear?  Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half ............. 1803945174 
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Thu 07 Aug 2014, 6:47 pm

Suzanne Claret wrote:I wonder what it's like to support a football club without experiencing the fear?  Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half ............. 1803945174 

We'll never know skinny burd !
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Thu 07 Aug 2014, 10:11 pm

You all are going to Laugh at what I`m about to say but I think we need someone like Gianfranco Zola back in charge as All the players loved playing under him , He gave youth a chance and seem to get the best out of the players and tried to play the right way
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Fri 08 Aug 2014, 10:45 am

muttley  You're right Arran!

While there is truth in some of the things you say, that did not make him a premiership manager of the quality needed at West Ham, neither is BFS, but Gianfranco is not the answer.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Fri 08 Aug 2014, 2:36 pm

Tony P wrote:
    Suzanne Claret wrote:I wonder what it's like to support a football club without experiencing the fear?  Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half ............. 1803945174 

We'll never know skinny burd !

having spent the first part of my life as a man u fan, its not much easier. u have this arrogant expectation of winning (by necessity) every game. my worst moment as a man u fan was drawing at UP in 1995 then losing to everton in the final. As a west ham, it was being relegated the first time around with all that young talent.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Fri 08 Aug 2014, 2:49 pm

mottinghammer wrote:muttley  You're right Arran!

While there is truth in some of the things you say, that did not make him a premiership manager of the quality needed at West Ham, neither is BFS, but Gianfranco is not the answer.

I think Zola had the right ideas but he was essentially trying to 'polish a turd'. the players simply weren't of sufficient quality to play tippy tappy football. If we were to be bought out by an arab and given a silly transfer budget i'd be more inclined to see zola given a crack at playing football the right way. I think he'd need someone like Dicks as an assistant manager to crack some nuts if they players took the piss a bit.
    SemiOldIron
    SemiOldIron
    Academy

Post  SemiOldIron Fri 08 Aug 2014, 8:22 pm

Arran H wrote:Do think our Squad is good enough to actually finish in the top half of the table and that the reason we don't seem to play well etc is down to fact that we are not suited to of style play that Sam sets out to play ?
    Do you think if we had a Manager like Gus Poyet , Roberto Martinez etc we would be playing good football and finishing in the top half every year with the current Squad we have ?

I'll tell you after the Spurs game. Is Our current Squad good enough to finish in the top Half ............. 2067971686 
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Fri 08 Aug 2014, 8:47 pm

I didn't actually mean Bring Zola back I meant bring in someone similar to him ,
    I keep saying it I know but Roberto Di Matteo I think would do a great job for us IMO
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Fri 08 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm

Arran H wrote:I didn't actually mean Bring Zola back I meant bring in someone similar to him ,
    I keep saying it I know but Roberto Di Matteo I think would do a great job for us IMO  

A very credible candidate IMHO
    Sir Ian
    Sir Ian
    Academy

Post  Sir Ian Sat 09 Aug 2014, 8:16 am

squad is maybe good enough if fit but the manager is a waste of space and needs to fupp off now
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sat 09 Aug 2014, 8:17 am

alfiehammer wrote:
    mottinghammer wrote:muttley  You're right Arran!

I think Zola had the right ideas but he was essentially trying to 'polish a turd'. the players simply weren't of sufficient quality to play tippy tappy football. If we were to be bought out by an arab and given a silly transfer budget i'd be more inclined to see zola given a crack at playing football the right way. I think he'd need someone like Dicks as an assistant manager to crack some nuts if they players took the piss a bit.

Have you read Harry Redknapp's autobiography Alfie? If anyone "took the piss" it was Julian Dicks when he was a player. An absolute nightmare to manage. Refused to run, train, do drills, warm up etc etc !
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sat 09 Aug 2014, 8:55 am

funnily enough I'm almost certain i did, but was a long time ago now. Seem to remember it mentioned his nan gambling and having harry run envelopes of cash about? And didn't mentioned his fall out with Bonds at all?
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Sat 09 Aug 2014, 9:18 am

And Dicksy now managing the sheilas! Good luck girls.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 09 Aug 2014, 7:31 pm

No nuts to crack there  cheesey grin
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sat 09 Aug 2014, 8:08 pm

alfiehammer wrote:funnily enough I'm almost certain i did, but was a long time ago now. Seem to remember it mentioned his nan gambling and having harry run envelopes of cash about? And didn't mentioned his fall out with Bonds at all?

Must be a different book. This one is right up to date when he is managing QPR
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sun 10 Aug 2014, 8:21 am

definitely not then, the one I read was at least 10 years ago i'd say...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 10:18 am