West Ham Cockney Boys

Who,s your 2nd favorite team ?

Admin
    1st team

Who,s your 2nd favorite team ?

Post  Admin on Sat 04 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

I,m gonna go with Hammarby , Stockholm,s working mans team .........share a brand new arena ( Tele2 Arena ) with Djurgården and very good chances they will be moving up to the top league this season .
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Re: Who,s your 2nd favorite team ?

Post  manurewa hammer on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 8:36 am

Don't know why, but my boss was born in Burnley, and there is something about Burnley fc that appeals. There are a lot of similaraties between them and us. Passionate fans they are.! Small club, small budget, but all power to them " No Nay Never" !
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 4:51 pm

I retain a lot of love and affection for Man U having spent the first part of my life up to 14 as a fan.
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 5:17 pm

Blades ?
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 5:31 pm

I used to sit there in their mop with my West Ham shirt on. It was a good and cheap experience, but no. Never a supporter.
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 9:30 am

Like Tony I also follow Hammarby over here.  Goes back a bit for me.  My ex lived in the area when she moved from Mariehamn, in the same block as one of their most famous players.  When we moved here I followed them via the tv, but it cooled a bit when our local team, IFK Mariehamn, made the Finnish top flight.  Then my son started following them a bit more seriously.  We went over in May & saw them play in front of 22,000 (for a Swedish 2nd flight match against a "nobody" club).  It was a great atmosphere, one of the best I have ever been at, & they are currently getting bigger crowds than all the Swedish top flight clubs.

I also follow IFK Mariehamn in the Finnish league.  The atmosphere is not so good but it's a nice little family club.  They got to the top flight 10 years ago for the first time & as the smallest club in the division have managed to stay there.  My son also plays in the youth set-up now so I have added interest.

While I'm on about Finnish football, an interesting development.  HIFK - the traditional Swedish speaking club of Helsinki - have been promoted to the Finnish top flight for the first time for donkeys years.  They were Finnish champions many moons ago but have struggled with finances & dropped down the structure.  They reached the 2nd flight & had a 5 year plan to reach the top division but got promoted at the first attempt on saturday. They do not meet the criteria for a top flight club at the moment but I really hope they get accepted.  They have the fanbase & tradition & there will be a real Helsinki rivalry (almost Celtic-Rangers in Finnish terms!) for the first time for ages.  It could kick start Finnish football.

In England I have a few clubs I look out for.  Orient used to be the main one but I've cooled on them since the Hearn business.  Enfield Town are probably top of the list now but I also like Burnley as I knew 2 good blokes in the 1980s who were big fans.  I've always liked Man City & for some reason most of the SW clubs.  Bristol City, Yeovil, Plymouth, Torquay & Exeter. I also look out for MK Dons - probably on the basis that you are meant to dislike them & because I couldn't stand Wimbledon!
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 11:19 am

alfiehammer wrote:I retain a lot of love and affection for Man U having spent the first part of my life up to 14 as a fan.

Brave to admit that on here! But good on you Alfie!
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 11:22 am

Johnny K wrote:Like Tony I also follow Hammarby over here.  Goes back a bit for me.  My ex lived in the area when she moved from Mariehamn, in the same block as one of their most famous players.  When we moved here I followed them via the tv, but it cooled a bit when our local team, IFK Mariehamn, made the Finnish top flight.  Then my son started following them a bit more seriously.  We went over in May & saw them play in front of 22,000 (for a Swedish 2nd flight match against a "nobody" club).  It was a great atmosphere, one of the best I have ever been at, & they are currently getting bigger crowds than all the Swedish top flight clubs.

I also follow IFK Mariehamn in the Finnish league.  The atmosphere is not so good but it's a nice little family club.  They got to the top flight 10 years ago for the first time & as the smallest club in the division have managed to stay there.  My son also plays in the youth set-up now so I have added interest.

While I'm on about Finnish football, an interesting development.  HIFK - the traditional Swedish speaking club of Helsinki - have been promoted to the Finnish top flight for the first time for donkeys years.  They were Finnish champions many moons ago but have struggled with finances & dropped down the structure.  They reached the 2nd flight & had a 5 year plan to reach the top division but got promoted at the first attempt on saturday. They do not meet the criteria for a top flight club at the moment but I really hope they get accepted.  They have the fanbase & tradition & there will be a real Helsinki rivalry (almost Celtic-Rangers in Finnish terms!) for the first time for ages.  It could kick start Finnish football.

In England I have a few clubs I look out for.  Orient used to be the main one but I've cooled on them since the Hearn business.  Enfield Town are probably top of the list now but I also like Burnley as I knew 2 good blokes in the 1980s who were big fans.  I've always liked Man City & for some reason most of the SW clubs.  Bristol City, Yeovil, Plymouth, Torquay & Exeter. I also look out for MK Dons - probably on the basis that you are meant to dislike them & because I couldn't stand Wimbledon!
    Gidday Johnny, How are IFK going this season.? Good luck to your son too, I hope he comes thru and and makes it to the senior side.
    Cheers Stew
    Charlie Ham
    Reserves

Post  Charlie Ham on Mon 06 Oct 2014, 8:29 pm

Tottenham Hotspur was my team before I knew anything about football.
    I was very young at the time and they did win the double with Danny Blanchflower as their captain in 1961.

hatsoff
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:42 pm

Admin wrote:I,m gonna go with Hammarby , Stockholm,s working mans team .........share a brand new arena ( Tele2 Arena ) with Djurgården and very good chances they will be moving up to the top league this season .
    blimy that takes me back I went to see them play each other back in about 1978 when I had a holiday in Stockholm (curtesy of HMG embassy there) wasn't much of a game as I remember and all the chants were in English which was weird!
    Great holiday but even then was a seriously expensive place. Spent three days with the Swedish old bill who were very nice but a bit how shall I put it 'soft'. The guy who arranged my time with them was a very senior (Swedish) police officer who later got done for being a Russian spy!!
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:45 pm

My second team was in the past Leyton Orient, not any more since Hearn has been involved with them.

With my Narrfolkshire connection have always had a soft spot for the Canned fairies, and as I live close-ish to Kings Lynn now always look out the Linnets results.
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 1:42 pm

mottinghammer wrote:
    Admin wrote:I,m gonna go with Hammarby , Stockholm,s working mans team .........share a brand new arena ( Tele2 Arena ) with Djurgården and very good chances they will be moving up to the top league this season .
    blimy that takes me back I went to see them play each other back in about 1978 when I had a holiday in Stockholm (curtesy of HMG embassy there) wasn't much of a game as I remember and all the chants were in English which was weird!
    Great holiday but even then was a seriously expensive place. Spent three days with the Swedish old bill who were very nice but a bit how shall I put it 'soft'. The guy who arranged my time with them was a very senior (Swedish) police officer who later got done for being a Russian spy!!
    He didn't make a run for it & end up taking refuge in the Russian consulate in Mariehamn, did he?  There was a Russian spy who fled Stockholm & suddenly rolled up here way before I moved here - or had even heard of the place. 

That story is one of the few times Åland has been in the international news!
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:46 pm

Growing up in Forest Hill SE London I always had a soft spot for Crystal Palace. Not now though. Can't stand them and their stupid "ultras"

Like others I always looked out for Orient's results but Hearn has put a stop to that

If I am brutally honest I don't care about any other team except my own
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 10:12 pm

Oh no has the "Ultra" sheeps come to England too   It's the same as foreign teams singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". Be original ffs.

I only follow West Ham. I absolutely love our transformed hard working West Ham team this season and believe it could be the start of something big that we have not seen before in the clubs history. I hope everybody wants to give Fat Sam a few more years and see where it takes us. Up The Irons!

I always check results and tables for the local teams here though and hope they do well. These are Vendsyssel FF, who are in the top of the 2nd best Danish division for the first time EVER, which is a really big thing here, and then there is Aalborg BK which is the biggest team in my region, the North of Jutland, and they won the best Danish division last season.

I try to follow what is going on in all Premier League teams and read news about championship teams aswell just because I'm interested in football in general and want to win the predictor! I want England to have the best teams in Europe and I can't stand money teams. I like honest hard working passionate football players and fans. I think the people who booed Nolan should be banned for a year.

Then there is the Danish national team, they will never win anything except for the Euro in 1992 Very Happy but it is still funny to sit and have a beer with my dad and yell at them. Our best forward is nicklas Bendtner
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 9:20 am

IronDane wrote:Oh no has the "Ultra" sheeps come to England too   It's the same as foreign teams singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". Be original ffs.

I only follow West Ham. I absolutely love our transformed hard working West Ham team this season and believe it could be the start of something big that we have not seen before in the clubs history. I hope everybody wants to give Fat Sam a few more years and see where it takes us. Up The Irons!

I always check results and tables for the local teams here though and hope they do well. These are Vendsyssel FF, who are in the top of the 2nd best Danish division for the first time EVER, which is a really big thing here, and then there is Aalborg BK which is the biggest team in my region, the North of Jutland, and they won the best Danish division last season.

I try to follow what is going on in all Premier League teams and read news about championship teams aswell just because I'm interested in football in general and want to win the predictor! I want England to have the best teams in Europe and I can't stand money teams. I like honest hard working passionate football players and fans. I think the people who booed Nolan should be banned for a year.

Then there is the Danish national team, they will never win anything except for the Euro in 1992 Very Happy but it is still funny to sit and have a beer with my dad and yell at them. Our best forward is nicklas Bendtner

Do you follow ladies football in Denmark, ID?
    One of the yank girls who played for Åland United is playing there now. She's a bit of a babe, actually!
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 9:41 am

manurewa hammer wrote:
    Johnny K wrote:Like Tony I also follow Hammarby over here.  Goes back a bit for me.  My ex lived in the area when she moved from Mariehamn, in the same block as one of their most famous players.  When we moved here I followed them via the tv, but it cooled a bit when our local team, IFK Mariehamn, made the Finnish top flight.  Then my son started following them a bit more seriously.  We went over in May & saw them play in front of 22,000 (for a Swedish 2nd flight match against a "nobody" club).  It was a great atmosphere, one of the best I have ever been at, & they are currently getting bigger crowds than all the Swedish top flight clubs.

Gidday Johnny, How are IFK going this season.? Good luck to your son too, I hope he comes thru and and makes it to the senior side.
    Cheers Stew

Hi Stew - I didn't see this!
    IFK are 4th at the moment with 2 games left.  Lost the chance to go third by drawing with the 3rd place team on sunday.
    They had a sticky spell in the summer when they dropped to 2nd last (in a 12 team league), & had a Brazil v Germany moment, where they were 0-4 down at half-time & we all stayed in the bar area, where you can just about see the pitch, for the 2nd half in protest. They then re-signed a centre back who was playing in Germany & were unbeaten for about 8 games, winning most of them.
    The chance of Europa League is still on as the cup losers do not qualify this year if the winners have already qualified for CL or EL, & the final is HJK v Inter Turku, with HJK already in the CL.  However, in true IFK fashion, Inter will probably beat HJK in the cup final, as HJK are concentrating on the EL groups right now (where they are playing very badly!).
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 9:53 am

Johnny K wrote:
    IronDane wrote:Oh no has the "Ultra" sheeps come to England too   It's the same as foreign teams singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". Be original ffs.

One of the yank girls who played for Åland United is playing there now.  She's a bit of a babe, actually!
    Hehe well my home town actually has one of the best ladies team in the country, they are called Fortuna Hjørring. Once I saw them play the Arsenal ladies and win. I was so disappointed about the Arsenal ladies that I decided I did not want to watch ladies football anymore Smile
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

IronDane wrote:
    Johnny K wrote:

One of the yank girls who played for Åland United is playing there now.  She's a bit of a babe, actually!
    Hehe well my home town actually has one of the best ladies team in the country, they are called Fortuna Hjørring. Once I saw them play the Arsenal ladies and win. I was so disappointed about the Arsenal ladies that I decided I did not want to watch ladies football anymore Smile

That's the team! They are in the CL?
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 3:41 pm

Tony P wrote: I always had a soft spot for Crystal Palace. Not now though. Can't stand them and their stupid "ultras"

stupid
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane on Thu 09 Oct 2014, 11:12 pm

Johnny K wrote:
    IronDane wrote:
    Johnny K wrote:

That's the team!  They are in the CL?
    Wow, what a coincidence!

Yes I guess they sometimes are in the CL, but I just checked here and they are not there this season: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

but Åland United is! Maybe your girl there should move back again to play with the big girls Wink I don't think there is any money at all in women's football, I wonder how much she earn as a professional CL player playing in this small town of ours with 30,000 inhabitants ? Here in the DK it is as it has always been, Fortuna Hjørring has always been in the top since I can remember, which is more than 30 years now, and nothing ever changes.
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K on Fri 10 Oct 2014, 7:53 pm

According to her fb page they are - & I found this for the round of 32

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ÅU played in a qualifying group for the comp in august but didn't get through.

She also put up a radio interview she did in Danish.  Pretty impressive after 6 months!  I only ever heard her speak English up here - in a very cute American accent!

Women's pro football is not very well paid.  Most are students or have part time jobs as well but she only just played football here for 3 years so I guess she is one of the better paid.

She moved to Denmark because it is a bigger club & a stronger league.  Mariehamn only has a population of 12 000.  Åland 28000.
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 12:27 pm

mottinghammer wrote:My second team was in the past Leyton Orient, not any more since Hearn has been involved with them.

With my Narrfolkshire connection have always had a soft spot for the Canned fairies, and as I live close-ish to Kings Lynn now always look out the Linnets results.
    When I was a kid, & even more of a statto than I am today, I used to go through the lower league tables in the sunday papers with pinpoint accuracy.  I can always remember Kings Lynn being a consistent member of the Southern League.  I was a little bit fascinated by them - the name, the geography.  i think we may even had seen them play at Margate one year on a family holiday.

What league do they play in now, Motty & are they stiill get a decent crowd?
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer on Sun 12 Oct 2014, 8:13 am

Very, very little in interest in England if that counts as a second team?
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 12:12 pm

Johnny K wrote:
    mottinghammer wrote:My second team was in the past Leyton Orient, not any more since Hearn has been involved with them.

When I was a kid, & even more of a statto than I am today, I used to go through the lower league tables in the sunday papers with pinpoint accuracy.  I can always remember Kings Lynn being a consistent member of the Southern League.  I was a little bit fascinated by them - the name, the geography.  i think we may even had seen them play at Margate one year on a family holiday.

What league do they play in now, Motty & are they stiill get a decent crowd?

five years ago they were Conference North went into administration over problems with the ground and basically went bust. Restarted the next year as Kings Lynn Town they started in what was I think is called the Combined Counties League Div 1 and have been promoted three times in four years. Now playing in step 4, which for them is the Northern Premier League Premier Division (One below Conference North), where they are currently 8th. When they were Conference North they were averaging just over a 1,000 now they are getting just under 600. Still the second best supported team in the league, only FC United of Manchester get more with around 1900 have a lovely little ground at the Walks which hold about 4,500. Standard of football is not bad and its nly a £10 for a decent seat so worth going along to every so often.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 12:36 am