West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+8
westhamonkey
JulianDicksLeftKnee
Admin
Jiggs
IronDane
SemiOldIron
Campo
Tony P
12 posters

Winston Reid - is he all that?

Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Winston Reid - is he all that? Empty Winston Reid - is he all that?

Post  Tony P Thu 06 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm

Been thinking about this a lot lately. Is Winston Reid really worth all the fawning and pandering that seems to be going on behind the scenes between our club and the player/agent? Is he worth a 4 year contract at c.£75k-£90k per week with a get-out clause if we don't qualify for Europe? Is he really irreplaceable?

I mean "who does he think he is?" He is an average centre back who was given his chance by West Ham. Not that comfortable on the ball. Not that good a passer of the ball. Prone to lapses of concentration

My thoughts are that if he won't sign a contract now then sell him in January for at least £10m and use the money (more if necessary) to get a top, top centre back who does not have ideas above his station. We have no need to spend on any other areas in January so we can push the boat out and replace Reid

He may end up at Arsenal or Liverpool and good luck to him. I only want players who want to play for the club and do not hold it to ransom with unreasonable demands

IMHO of course
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Winston Reid - is he all that? Empty Re: Winston Reid - is he all that?

Post  Campo Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:08 pm

Have to agree Tony, I think he is a decent player but I would give him until Dec 31 to sign or be sold
    It does appear that he is holding the club to ransom a bit
    can not see us getting anywhere near the £10M mark unless the like of Arsenal start getting really desperate
    SemiOldIron
    SemiOldIron
    Academy

Post  SemiOldIron Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:23 pm

I think he finds himself in a very fortunate position; there are several big, wealthy PL clubs who are desperate to improve their defence and there doesn't seem to be much on the market at present. If there's a shortage, the price goes up - basic economics!
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:30 am

If he doesn't sign a new contract within the end of the year, then let the big clubs fight over him. He can be replaced. We should not let him go for nothing in the summer.
    SemiOldIron
    SemiOldIron
    Academy

Post  SemiOldIron Fri 07 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

IronDane wrote:If he doesn't sign a new contract within the end of the year, then let the big clubs fight over him. He can be replaced. We should not let him go for nothing in the summer.

Of course he can be replaced, it's replacing him with a CB of the same standard with PL experience that's the problem. Look at what Liverpoo, Man U and the Arse are fielding at present - you can't tell me that they weren't looking to strengthen in this area during the last transfer window, they just couldn't get anyone. Reid is not (yet?) the dog's bollox it's true, but he would improve the squads of the majority of PL clubs at present IMO.
    As an aside, I think Ginge is playing the best of our CB's now despite having a mare in pre-season. Bringing him back was a brilliant piece of business. handshake
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Fri 07 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

I think his play has deteriorated since the 'big clubs' came sniffing around for him. So it's pretty obvious that we won't now get the best out of him and should let him go.  

If there aren't any PL central defenders to replace him we'll have to look elsewhere I suppose. With a bit of luck, G&S could unearth another unknown gem. 
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Fri 07 Nov 2014, 5:48 pm

long and short of it Reid ain't worth the money he is wanting
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Fri 07 Nov 2014, 5:59 pm

Don't rate him anymore and as most have said he,s giving it too much Large so come Jan sell him on and use the money
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Fri 07 Nov 2014, 6:48 pm

I just hope serious work and effort is going into defence recruitment for January-irrespective of Reid's status.

All very well saying sell him off but not before replacement(s) prepared.

I agree with the sentiment of not being held to ransom/not shelling out huge salary for him.

Remember his value depends on his worth. If he improves, we'll get more (but then the fickleness will not want him to go)!

westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Sat 08 Nov 2014, 1:06 am

I find it funny how people throw around tags like 'not good enough' 'average player'

then follow it up with 'let's sell him for ten million quid'

Reid was very good... he's not been good this year... not terrible, but not as good as he showed he could be

Reasons...?

Who knows

If he's not going to get better and is out the door on a free next year, then try to ship him out in the January sales

but as other people have said... if the 'big' clubs are desperately looking for a 'half' decent centre back, then where are we going to find a replacement?

We can't rely on Ginge on his own. Too hasn't been much better than Reid this year. Song ain't gonna stay and is better in front of the back four anyways...

So it's not an ideal sitch whichever way you look at it
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:42 am

SemiOldIron wrote:I think he finds himself in a very fortunate position; there are several big, wealthy PL clubs who are desperate to improve their defence and there doesn't seem to be much on the market at present. If there's a shortage, the price goes up - basic economics!

as it would for us when signing a replacement. 

But yeah I do agree, sign by a certain date or we will replace. Does his contract expire in May? if so then i can't see us getting more then 3-4 million in Jan. You get piss all for a play run last few months of a contract
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Sat 08 Nov 2014, 9:49 am

I see Reidy signing that new contract soon. i think even his agents now realise its the best deal for him. Maybe it's the contract uncertainty that has affected his form a bit, although he's still playing pretty good. Cmon Reidy, come with us to Europe! Winston Reid - is he all that? 780148547
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:21 am

westhamonkey wrote:
    I find it funny how people throw around tags like 'not good enough' 'average player'

then follow it up with 'let's sell him for ten million quid'

Reid was very good... he's not been good this year... not terrible, but not as good as he showed he could be

Reasons...?

Who knows

If he's not going to get better and is out the door on a free next year, then try to ship him out in the January sales

but as other people have said... if the 'big' clubs are desperately looking for a 'half' decent centre back, then where are we going to find a replacement?

We can't rely on Ginge on his own. Too hasn't been much better than Reiear. Song ain't gonna stay and is better in front of the back four anyways...

So it's not an ideal sitch whichever way you look at it

Nowhere in my post does it say "he is worth £10m" but we are in the driving seat as the selling club. If, as Reid thinks, a top four club (or one playing in European competition) want him then why should we not insist on £10m? We paid £4m as a raw 22 year old. The experience he has gained by playing in the PL means that his market value if a top four side want him should have risen to c.£10m. Admittedly we have to be careful not to price him out of the market in so much as other clubs may simply wait until 1 July to sign him on a "free" also

In G&S I trust not only to handle the situation to the best interest of WHUFC and NOT the player but to also find an even better replacement
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:27 am

if his contact is up in july '15 , normally players go for a bargain as clubs rather get anything rather then nothing at all and that pits the buying club back in the stronger negotiating position. 

I can see him going to a club like newcastle who might be desperate enough to pay 90k per week.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sat 08 Nov 2014, 12:25 pm

alfiehammer wrote:if his contact is up in july '15 , normally players go for a bargain as clubs rather get anything rather then nothing at all and that pits the buying club back in the stronger negotiating position. 

I can see him going to a club like newcastle who might be desperate enough to pay 90k per week.

If, as has been reported, he wants European football then I would suggest that Newcastle Utd would not be the club to join !!

More likely to be Liverpool or Arsenal; possibly even Everton. Man Utd would be an outside bet too
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sat 08 Nov 2014, 2:16 pm

Tony P wrote:
    alfiehammer wrote:if his contact is up in july '15 , normally players go for a bargain as clubs rather get anything rather then nothing at all and that pits the buying club back in the stronger negotiating position. 

If, as has been reported, he wants European football then I would suggest that Newcastle Utd would not be the club to join !!

More likely to be Liverpool or Arsenal; possibly even Everton. Man Utd would be an outside bet too

i was more thinking along the lines of diame who wanted to move to a 'bigger club' (top 4/europe) and ended up at hull. i can see reid ending up at a club no bigger then us but desperate enough to pay his wage demands
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:06 pm

alfiehammer wrote:
    Tony P wrote:

i was more thinking along the lines of diame who wanted to move to a 'bigger club' (top 4/europe) and ended up at hull. i can see reid ending up at a club no bigger then us but desperate enough to pay his wage demands
    Possibly but I think his demands are more than just financial ones. He reportedly wants European football
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:28 pm

I will be sad to see him go, I've watched him grow from Bambie on ice to an accomplished centre back. Our problem, and that of all of the PL, is the complete dearth of decent defenders. If he goes to Arsenal then I can’t really blame him or the club, if what been reported is true about his new contract. I’d like to see though Jenkinson coming the other way on a permanent deal, but Jenkinson is an Arsenal fan, don’t know how open he would be to the move.

Our problem then becomes how to replace him.

This is probably the most crucial career decision Reid will ever make. He has grown up with us, we have stood by him as he matured into a very good centre back and he has stood by us during turbulent times.

So he wants European football, can’t say I blame him as I too wouldn’t mind a Thursday night trip to Kazakhstan or a night game at Upton Park to Steaua Bucharest in our last season there.

If he stays and we don’t meet his expectations will he feel let down and demotivated? What if he jumps ship and we end up in a Europe cup place and he misses out on the ‘glory’ having put in all the hard yards?

If he does go and it’s not to a Champions League club then in my mind he would have made a terrible error of judgement for his career.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:49 pm

Winston Reid - is he all that? 1518089606
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:11 am

Totally agree with your opinions Suz. Still i would love Reid to stay with us.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:34 am

I think that Winston Reid will end up signing a new contract but I do think he will leave as late as possible to see if we will or looking likely to finish in the Europa/Champions league places before actually putting pen to paper the same as Song I think if we finish the European spots then he will join us permanently

The only club I can see him joining is Arsenal for the reason that they need a CB badly and they have been linked with Reid for a long time now but like everyone I really hope he signs a new deal with us which deep down I think he will

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 12:47 pm