West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

4 posters

one of the best excuses ever?!

daib0
    daib0
    Academy

one of the best excuses ever?! Empty one of the best excuses ever?!

Post  daib0 Fri 15 Jan 2016, 1:45 pm

BBC News

Rail operator Southeastern blames 'bright sunlight' for delays

Rail passengers were left angry after being told trains were delayed due to "strong sunlight".
    Services were disrupted because of the angle of the sun in Lewisham, south-east London, train operator Southeastern said. It apologised and tweeted: "We had severe congestion through Lewisham due to dispatching issues as a result of strong sunlight."

Passengers also took to Twitter - to share their disbelief at the excuse.

Paul Malyon described it as "the weakest excuse ever".

Rob List wrote: "I can't have heard properly because if I did, I believe my train's been delayed due to SUNLIGHT?!?"

Zuzanna Sojka tweeted: "Canon Street train delayed due to sunlight! @Se_Railway i admire your creativity!"

A spokesman at Southeastern said: "We know that sometimes it seems that if it is not leaves on the line or snow on the track then it is some other weather issue. But actually glare this morning made it impossible for some drivers to see the full length of their train in their mirrors before leaving stations. When this happens they have to get out and check to ensure everybody has got on or off their train safely before they can move. This can take a little more time but thankfully for all it doesn't happen very often."
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

one of the best excuses ever?! Empty Re: one of the best excuses ever?!

Post  Blakey Sat 16 Jan 2016, 12:06 pm

I have spoken to a train driver about this in t'pub. The driver only has a small mirror to check down the side of his train that all doors are shut and everyone has boarded once he received the all clear from the guard. Under normal conditions, this works perfectly well. However, with the low lying early morning / late afternoon sun, it is a problem. The driver has to make sure it is safe to move off, usually using said mirror. If he can't see then he will have to either look out of the open window or get out and check. Both of these options will add time to an already tight schedule. 

There is a case where a driver failed to check it was safe and a passenger was dragged underneath the train and died. The driver was jailed for negligence. So, before you all get on their backs, just think for a minute.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sat 16 Jan 2016, 12:09 pm

Blakey wrote:I have spoken to a train driver about this in t'pub. The driver only has a small mirror to check down the side of his train that all doors are shut and everyone has boarded once he received the all clear from the guard. Under normal conditions, this works perfectly well. However, with the low lying early morning / late afternoon sun, it is a problem. The driver has to make sure it is safe to move off, usually using said mirror. If he can't see then he will have to either look out of the open window or get out and check. Both of these options will add time to an already tight schedule. 

There is a case where a driver failed to check it was safe and a passenger was dragged underneath the train and died. The driver was jailed for negligence. So, before you all get on their backs, just think for a minute.

There are no guards on SE trains. However at the front of each platform is a big mirror which the driver looks in to make sure all the warning lights above the doors are off. I am presuming that the sun is shining into these mirrors
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey Sat 16 Jan 2016, 12:18 pm

Tony P wrote:
    Blakey wrote:I have spoken to a train driver about this in t'pub. The driver only has a small mirror to check down the side of his train that all doors are shut and everyone has boarded once he received the all clear from the guard. Under normal conditions, this works perfectly well. However, with the low lying early morning / late afternoon sun, it is a problem. The driver has to make sure it is safe to move off, usually using said mirror. If he can't see then he will have to either look out of the open window or get out and check. Both of these options will add time to an already tight schedule. 

There are no guards on SE trains. However at the front of each platform is a big mirror which the driver looks in to make sure all the warning lights above the doors are off. I am presuming that the sun is shining into these mirrors
    Quite probably. 

Some may say it's health & safety gone mad, but in this litigious society in which we live, (thank you USA), procedures have to be observed. 

We suffer from a similar problem on the buses out in the countryside. On occasion our view of what's going on behind us is non existent due to the sun reflecting. Although it is short lived, it does cause problems.
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 12:46 pm

interesting, good posts lads ...
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Sun 17 Jan 2016, 1:56 am

Blakey, thats the Bus man coming out in you- Well done. Safety first and paramount.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 2:08 pm