West Ham Cockney Boys

Liverpool vs West Ham - 2018/19 season opener

westhamonkey
    1st Team Bench

Re: Liverpool vs West Ham - 2018/19 season opener

Post  westhamonkey on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 2:58 pm

another Liverpool freekick on the edge of the box...

we get that one away too
    westhamonkey
    1st Team Bench

Post  westhamonkey on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 3:01 pm

see, Liverpool actually look a little rocky when you put them under pressure....

the trick, is to put them under pressure...

ooh, we got a free kick...

but all it does is fly into the keeper's hands
    westhamonkey
    1st Team Bench

Post  westhamonkey on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 3:02 pm

Last season, we conceded 13 more goals than 2 of the teams who got relegated...

I guess when we lose, we tend to lose bad...
    westhamonkey
    1st Team Bench

Post  westhamonkey on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 3:11 pm

ooh, that took a good save from the Liverpool keeper...

7 minutes to get at least a novelty goal and keep us off the bottom of the table...
    westhamonkey
    1st Team Bench

Post  westhamonkey on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 3:16 pm

oh well, normal service resumed... Liverpool get their fourth... unless Arsenal concede a shedload against City... we're rooted to the foot of the table
    westhamonkey
    1st Team Bench

Post  westhamonkey on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 3:20 pm

2 minutes of three minutes of added time has gone by...

westhamonkey
    1st Team Bench

Post  westhamonkey on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 3:21 pm

okay, game over... I'm a head back to bed...
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:22 am

Well done Monkey for getting to the end and keeping up the comms. I gave up after the first went in, could see then we were onto a hiding. 

Always the next game onwards n upwards 
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 9:16 pm

Bit of gelling and a bit of fight ...... sorted  gay fight

Post  mottinghammer on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 9:23 pm

Or........ 

Play the Portuguese kid we've just signed whose just got three against spuds!!!!
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 12:26 am

mottinghammer wrote:Or........ 

Play the Portuguese kid we've just signed whose just got three against spuds!!!!
    jawdrop

Post  westhamonkey on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 1:19 am

mottinghammer wrote:Well done Monkey for getting to the end and keeping up the comms. I gave up after the first went in, could see then we were onto a hiding. 

Always the next game onwards n upwards 

Cheers Motty... can't give up that easily... not in the first game of the season... although I'll admit I got up to watch it live because if I'd found out we'd have lost I'd never have watched the recording...

next week will be more of an indication... Bournemouth... should be an simple walk over... but then it should have been last year....

Bournemouth and then Arsenal...

Arsenal have a tough away game against Chelsea, so they could come at us on zero points... which will make that game even more interesting...

we should have 4 points by the end of that... really... if not 6.
    westhamonkey
    1st Team Bench

Post  westhamonkey on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 1:20 am

Jiggs wrote:Bit of gelling and a bit of fight ...... sorted  gay fight

Arran
    Ball Boy/Girl

Post  Arran on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 7:11 am

I watched the game and to be honest the better team won fair and square. Liverpool away first game was always going to be a big ask to get anything from it. Personally the only slight issue with the starting 11 was I personally wouldn`t of started with as many of the new players as Manuel did but never the less they all did pretty well imo against a very good liverpool side who no doubt come May will be in that Top 4 for sure.
    I`m sure as time goes by and the players start to gell more we will start to play well and pick up points. It`s only one game , still 37 left yet. We can`t get on the players backs yet , we have to get behind them especialy considering the changes in the summer.
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 1:10 pm

Liverpool away will be tough for any side this season - Man City included. However, we looked awful for the vast majority of the game. Arnie had a couple of half chances but apart from that it was damage limitation

Once again our central midfield looked leggy, slow, weak and ill-disciplined (positionally). If you are going to play a high line with a view to squeezing the space between the lines, then there is no point the back four pushing up if the defensive midfielders in front of you are 30 yards further up the pitch or your wide players do not get back into position to cut the supply from the wide areas. Anderson worked hard tracking back to help Masuaku out (most of the time). Antonio did nothing to help Ryan Fredericks out. In fact his attitude and strolling around drove me mad at times

In the system Pellegrini wants to play - ie a flat back four with overlapping full backs - then the two defensive midfielders HAVE to have the legs, speed, strength and discipline to shield the defence. Neither Noble, Rice or Wilshere did that on Sunday. Taking Rice off may have been the right call as he was out of his depth, but replacing him with Snodgrass and not Obiang was baffling to say the least

Playing Wilshere just behind Arnie may work at home but not away from home against a side as fluid as Liverpool, where he was completely anonymous. 26 touches for one of our key players is just not good enough. I am really hoping that Carlos Sanchez is going to be that midfield destroyer that we have been crying out for for 3-4 years now

If we do not address our central midfield then we will continue to ship goals as we have done for 2 and half seasons now. It will not matter how many flair players we have, they will never be enough to stop us from losing

COYI
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 1:30 pm

yeah that   nailbiter
    Charlie Ham
    Reserves

Post  Charlie Ham on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 4:56 pm

Wife gave me the result whilst I was sitting on the beach by just telling me that the situation was normal.
    Very disappointed.

Arran
    Ball Boy/Girl

Post  Arran on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 6:04 pm

I don`t understand why some fans are moaning about Sunday`s result still to be honest. Yeah I`m disapointed we conceded 4 goals but it was against a very good Liverpool side who along with City have the squad to rip teams apart with the way they play. We wont be the last team to go Anfield and get hammered this year that`s for sure.

I`d be more concerned if we get beat by similar score against the poorer teams but getting beat like that against the top sides as disapointing as it is ,there is no shame in my opinon.
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 5:53 am

Tony P wrote:Liverpool away will be tough for any side this season - Man City included. However, we looked awful for the vast majority of the game. Arnie had a couple of half chances but apart from that it was damage limitation

Once again our central midfield looked leggy, slow, weak and ill-disciplined (positionally). If you are going to play a high line with a view to squeezing the space between the lines, then there is no point the back four pushing up if the defensive midfielders in front of you are 30 yards further up the pitch or your wide players do not get back into position to cut the supply from the wide areas. Anderson worked hard tracking back to help Masuaku out (most of the time). Antonio did nothing to help Ryan Fredericks out. In fact his attitude and strolling around drove me mad at times

In the system Pellegrini wants to play - ie a flat back four with overlapping full backs - then the two defensive midfielders HAVE to have the legs, speed, strength and discipline to shield the defence. Neither Noble, Rice or Wilshere did that on Sunday. Taking Rice off may have been the right call as he was out of his depth, but replacing him with Snodgrass and not Obiang was baffling to say the least

Playing Wilshere just behind Arnie may work at home but not away from home against a side as fluid as Liverpool, where he was completely anonymous. 26 touches for one of our key players is just not good enough. I am really hoping that Carlos Sanchez is going to be that midfield destroyer that we have been crying out for for 3-4 years now

If we do not address our central midfield then we will continue to ship goals as we have done for 2 and half seasons now. It will not matter how many flair players we have, they will never be enough to stop us from losing

COYI

Luckily both Cresswell and Yarmolenko will be fit and available for this weekend. 

Antonio's lack lustre display didn't go unnoticed so I wouldn't expect to see him start on Saturday. 
    Masuaku again is not likely to start with Cresswell being prefered as the Left Back, which, lets be honest, Masuaku isn't. I would suggest that Masuaku should be used as backup for Anderson. 

I would like to see Obiang start ahead of Noble. Noble, imo, doesn't know where he plays. He's not an attacking mid, he's certainly no defensive mid. Lets be honest, we now have far better players for both those positions than Noble. 

Do we continue with Rice or throw Sanchez into the mix, that's an enigma.

Arran
    Ball Boy/Girl

Post  Arran on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 7:41 am

Me Personally would go with this team for Bournmouth game in a 4-2-3-1 formation.:
    Adrian
    Cresswell
    Ogbonna
    Rice
    Federicks
    Obiang
    Sanches
    Wilshere
    Yarmelenko
    Anderson
    Arnie

SUBS: Fabianski,Diop,Zabaleta,Noble,Snodgrass,Chicarito,Perez