West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

5 posters

Squeaky Bum Time

Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Squeaky Bum Time Empty Squeaky Bum Time

Post  Blakey Mon 09 Dec 2019, 5:41 am

We have the poorest Arsenal since George Graham tonight. That form almost guarantees them the win. The Daves must surely see the next two results being losses and as such must be looking to bring someone in. 

Now, bear with me here. A former Gazzetto dello Sport F1 journalist was commenting the other day about the rumours of Hamilton to Ferrari in 2021. He said, "You only hear these rumours because someone wants it out there, be it Hamilton or Ferrari. I have seen meetings taking place and people leaving buildings who have almost certainly had meetings that you'd never normally put together, They never get in the press because they don't want it to. People have meetings and discuss things away from the media, deals are done before anyone in the media gets wind of it if that's the way it needs to be done. Public meetings and public comment are more often a smoke screen to hide what is actually happening."

I'm sure the same is true in football in this country. I'm sure phone calls, agent to agent meetings and conversations are happening all the time. It's a way to circumnavigate the Tapping Up rules. I'm sure that Messrs Sullivan et al have been making tentative calls, sending out a message, getting a feel for any potential interest, whilst giving the media, etc their full backing to the manager. 

I certainly cannot believe that the management of the club think that the return of Antonio and Fabianski will be the saving graces and when they are back, all will be well again. At this time of year, with a transfer window fast approaching, it has to be at the forefront to look at the team management. If it's not working, which ours isn't, it needs changing.

Arsenal (H), Southampton (A), Crystal Palace (A), Leicester (H). Out of those four games, on current form, I can only see 1 point at best, a draw away at Southampton. And that my friends is relegation form. Relegation would cost the club ten times what it would cost to replace the management and coaching staff. The next 7 days are crucial to the future of this club. 
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Squeaky Bum Time Empty Re: Squeaky Bum Time

Post  Charlie Ham Mon 09 Dec 2019, 7:48 pm

Well said Blakey.

I see Benitez is in the stadium working for Sky tonight.
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Mon 09 Dec 2019, 11:51 pm

The question(s) as always are:

who do the board think is the right man

and

who would take the job
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 14 Dec 2019, 11:11 am

This board don't have half a footballing brain between the three of them, so it'll be down to money.
    Redknapp would take the job...……..so the board will let him have a go until mid May. 
    Same shit, different season
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey Sun 15 Dec 2019, 9:59 am

westhamonkey wrote:
    The question(s) as always are:

who do the board think is the right man

and

who would take the job

I am of the belief that the board would, ideally, for the long term, like to appoint Eddie Howe. But would they make a formal approach and be prepared to pay the buy out clause? 

As a temporary, to the end of the season appointment, they have the options of Allardyce, Pulis, Houghton, Redknapp, Moyes. To be honest, I wouldn't object to Moyes. I thought, once he'd seen what he needed to see, he settled on a decent style and tactical approach to most games. 

As for who would take the job, that's the biggy. There are rumours that Howe's people have said he would be open to an approach. Whether that was genuine interest or just a stick to hit Bournemouth with for a better contract offer. 

Throughout the game, regardless of what the fans think, G&S are well regarded for giving their managers time and not hiring and firing. As for them being tight with the money, I think fans at all clubs think that. Citeh fans were calling their club tight for not outbidding Manure for the signature of McGuire, saying £60M was too much. It's all down to the perspective of the fan and what they think the club can do.

Whoever does take the job has the unenviable task of sorting out an unbalanced squad. Trying to recoup money for poor purchases like Sanchez, Ajeti, Fornals and getting rid of the aging players with no pace, Yarmalenko and to a degree, Snodgrass. And then, having to replace them with the workhorses that we need to lift the squad. 

It'll be a very tough job but there will be someone out there that relishes it.
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey Sun 15 Dec 2019, 10:09 am

Jiggs wrote:This board don't have half a footballing brain between the three of them, so it'll be down to money.
    Redknapp would take the job...……..so the board will let him have a go until mid May. 
    Same shit, different season

You know, I don't think that would be a bad thing. I think we'd pick up more points with 'arry in charge than with Pellegrini. 

You just know that for the Palace and Leicester games he'll go back to 4-2-3-1 and poor old David Martin will spend most of his time picking the ball out of the back of the net. 

4-4-2 yesterday was only because Anderson & Lanzini weren't available. As soon as either of them or both become available it'll be back to 4-2-3-1. 

Bear in mind Fredericks is suspended for the next game which will mean Zabaletta vs Zaha. Just think about that for a second.
    Arran
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Arran Sun 15 Dec 2019, 7:12 pm

Regardless of last night`s result I`d still like to see Pellegrini sacked and Howe brought in so that he has time to work on the squad before the Palace game.
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Sun 15 Dec 2019, 9:44 pm

I agree with Blakey on most of his points... the only one I disagree on is that I'd hate to see Moyes back at the club.
    If we have to go backwards then I'd be open to Allardyce, Redknapp at a stretch (because he'd find a way to leave us in financial or legal trouble) but Moyes? No... I'd almost rather stick with Pellegrini - and I think Pelle is well past his sell-by date.

I admire (in the loosest sense) the Daves not jumping on the firing managers merry-go-round... but it's clear to the blindest blindman that Pellegrini doesn't have a scooby any more... all he's doing is pissing me off and tarnishing his legacy. The former I doubt he'll ever be aware or of care about, the latter... well, that's up to him and his conscience.

I agree that the tactical formation change was probably forced by Anderson's injury not by any sense of realizing what we're missing... but as I've bleated on about for years... we play two up top and we score and win (admittedly only by Soton being possibly the worst opposition we've faced so far - and even they we only a post width away from beating us).

Of course... as soon as it became clear that Haller and Antonio were trying to build some kind of footballing relationship.. Pellegrini stepped in like the grumpy father in an 80s John Hughes movie and subbed Haller.

I know I'm outside the circle of internet opinion here but for all the people criticizing Fornals, he actually had a decent game yesterday and looks like he just needs a little more consistent playing time to settle in (and not having to carry Anderson probably helped as well)
    And the other place I disagree with most other is that especially in Antonio's absence... Snoddy has actually been probably our best player (not saying much, but it needs to be said)

All the people calling for Fornals and Snodgrass to be dropped, sold, don't seem to either be watching the games or really understand much about the game.

The players who need to be shipped out are...

Anderson - total waste of money
    Roberto - we've taken enough damage from one of the worst purchases we ever made
    Zabaleta - not because he's crap, just because he's old and slow now
    Noble - he's had his 500 appearances, he has his place in everyone's hearts but he's just not good enough. Put him on the coaching staff but not on the pitch.

Keep Antonio
    give Fornals and Haller a chance to play consistently with Antonio till the end of the season. Try a front 'three' giving antonio the option to run in from deep of pick u p in midfield.

Put Reid (when fit) in for noble so if we insist on a two man midfield we have Rice and Reid - see how that works

Get Lanzini and Fabianski fit and playing again.

Everyone else in the squad... if there's a better option available to come in then sell them and do it - there's hardly anyone at the club these days outside of Fabianski and Antonio who I'd be heartbroken to see the back of.
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey Mon 16 Dec 2019, 6:11 am

Reid  rofl rofl rofl

If he ever plays for the first XI again it'll be a miracle.

Noble still has plenty to offer but cannot play 90 minutes every week. Same with Snodgrass, he has been, as you say, consistently one of our better players but he cannot do it every week. 

I don't see Lanzini as the Messiah that other people do. He's ok, but he's not our magical lynch pin. He can be just as poor as he can be good. 
    Fabianski I do hope comes back soon and doesn't take long to get back up to speed. 

If MP is in charge for the Palace game I hope David Martin wears a back brace because he's just going to be picking the ball out of the back of the net. Zaha vs Zabaletta, I think we all know whats coming there. Ben Johnson is apparently fit again, he's recently played for the U23's so he may be in contention. Lets not forget, this could be Zaha's last game for Palace with him strongly tipped to be going to Chelsea this window.

If we only concede 3 against Palace it'll be a good result
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Mon 16 Dec 2019, 5:37 pm

well according to 'the papers' Pelle WILL be in charge for the Palace game...

I just don't get it.

No one anywhere wold ever countenance or consider sacking a manager after 1 loss...
    so why does one victory (against the worst team in the league and barely by a goal) save him?

Agree with you on Lanzini. He's never really set the place alight.

If Noble can't play 90 minutes... what's the point? You can't build a match winning team around players who can only last 15, 20, 45 minutes... it's just a recipe for losing because all the other teams fill their ranks with players who can actually play a full game.
    We have three games in a week coming up.

Fabianski is the key. But at the same time, he's honestly been the paper over the cracks of a terrible team.
    Arran
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Arran Mon 16 Dec 2019, 6:42 pm

Personally I`d like to see Coventry or Cullen given a chance alongside Rice and start building for the future and maybe just use Noble for the Big game`s like the derbies as he knows what it means etc and would fire the players up in the dressing room before hand.
    It`s a risk starting Coventry or Cullen but I personally think both are more then capable of playing at the top level if given a decent run in the team.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 4:18 pm