West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

2 posters

Après Palace

Hungry Hammer 66
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Boot Cleaner

Après Palace Empty Après Palace

Post  Hungry Hammer 66 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 5:14 pm

I read this on F.B.  thought it was beautifully written, how I feel and worth sharing

"It's really sad. The West Ham brand is diminishing game by game. Sure, we've been brought up to have low expectations about winning trophies or finishing high in the league. Sure, we've been brought up to expect to be in a relegation battle every now and again. Sure, if we're honest with ourselves, we probably expect to lose more than we win. But we always expect that West Ham will try and play attacking attractive football. And that just hardly ever happens any more. Time moves on, things change, but we can't call this shambles progress. This is a breach of our values. It's a shattering of our DNA. It's obliterating our history, our brand and the imagery we all associate with West Ham. It begins with the owners and translates to the manager. It's not really Sam's fault. The owners knew what they were getting when they hired him. He's just trying to do his job the only real way he knows how. He's trying to do what's worked for him elsewhere. But, it's not the brand that West Ham followers want to see. It's not the brand that entices our expectations and our dreams. It's not the brand that entertains. And, right now, it's not even the brand to pick up enough points. The owners need to reengage with the DNA of the club and sponsor a change back to the way we expect our team to play. If they pop onto yoiutube and watch a few videos of McAvennie, Cottee, Devonshire, Brooking & Ward, then they'll see the true West Ham we all want to support. Come on Board, bring back the genuine West Ham before our dreams fade and die"
    RichB
    RichB
    Boot Cleaner

Après Palace Empty Re: Après Palace

Post  RichB Wed 04 Dec 2013, 5:44 pm

It is well written and I'm glad the writer referred back to Brooking and Devonshire, Cottee and McAvennie because to be honest we haven't played football "the West Ham way" for decades. I am old enough to remember the Greenwood and Lyall sides who played attractive football and earned us a reputation for entertainment. However in my nigh on 50 years supporting the Hammers I've seen them win the FA Cup 3 times, the ECWC once and the World Cup once. I've also seen the relegated more times than I can remember and fortunately always bounce back. But please don't tell me the decline in the style of play is entirely down to Allardyce because it clearly is not. I would love to see a manager with flair return to the Hammers and return us to the Johnm Lyall way but at the same time, I'm getting older and it would be nice to see us win something again other than the Championship Play Offs !Very Happy
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Hungry Hammer 66 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:53 pm

RichB wrote:It is well written and I'm glad the writer referred back to Brooking and Devonshire, Cottee and McAvennie because to be honest we haven't played football "the West Ham way" for decades. I am old enough to remember the Greenwood and Lyall sides who played attractive football and earned us a reputation for entertainment. However in my nigh on 50 years supporting the Hammers I've seen them win the FA Cup 3 times, the ECWC once and the World Cup once. I've also seen the relegated more times than I can remember and fortunately always bounce back. But please don't tell me the decline in the style of play is entirely down to Allardyce because it clearly is not. I would love to see a manager with flair return to the Hammers and return us to the Johnm Lyall way but at the same time, I'm getting older and it would be nice to see us win something again other than the Championship Play Offs !Very Happy
    Great reply and I'm hearin ya mate, although my West Ham journey only started  2 days before we won the World Cup as I was born on the
    28 /07 /1966 !!
    With reference to Allardyce and his style (moreover lack of it ) he states

"It begins with the owners and translates to the manager. It's not really Sam's fault. The owners knew what they were getting when they hired him. He's just trying to do his job the only real way he knows how. He's trying to do what's worked for him elsewhere. But, it's not the brand that West Ham followers want to see. It's not the brand that entices our expectations and our dreams. It's not the brand that entertains. And, right now, it's not even the brand to pick up enough points".

I totally agree with this and it's compounded by the fact that other clubs around us have moved forward with their footballing philosophy's / managers / brands etc and we, yet again
    Have got it so wrong.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 3:23 pm