West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+10
JulianDicksLeftKnee
Charlie Ham
Johnny K
Suzanne Claret
Tony P
Kray JR
IronDane
Campo
Admin
Jiggs
14 posters

Match Threads for the 2012 Euros

Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Match Threads for the 2012 Euros - Page 7 Empty Re: Match Threads for the 2012 Euros

Post  Tony P Mon 25 Jun 2012, 7:01 am

Jiggs wrote:I love your rants Tony......I'm not too clued up on the tactical side, and try to learn from what you say Smile

Roy Hodgson is 65....He's done great so far...But can he coach, or adapt himself to incorporate the more modern game that you speak of?

I am not sure that he can/will Jiggs. He has been setting up functional, hard-to-beat sides playing 4-4-2 since his time in Sweden. If he doesn't adapt our tactics then we will never see England win a major tournament during his tenure. IMO of course!
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Match Threads for the 2012 Euros - Page 7 Empty Re: Match Threads for the 2012 Euros

Post  Campo Mon 25 Jun 2012, 8:34 am

Tony P wrote:Rooney, Welbeck, Milner and Young truly awful. Formation and tactics antiquated, suicidal and poor

There is not a top side anywhere in the world - domestic or international - that is having any success playing 4-4-2 anymore. Playing that way means you are outnumbered 3 to 2 in central midfield. Pirlo had a field day tonight. Gerrard and Parker were simply worn out trying to mark 3 players. Add to that the fact that we cannot pass a football or keep possession then, apart from a much-improved attitude, we are no nearer to winning a major tournament than we were before Hodgson took over

We need to come out of the dark ages and start playing 4-2-3-1 if we are to compete against the top sides. That formation gives you two holding players to protect your back four. It then allows full backs to create the width whilst matching up in the centre of midfield. We have two of the best attacking full backs in the world but they are so busy defending from getting over run that we rarely see them attacking. In addition we need to coach our players to be comfortable in possession and to cherish the football. Watch Barcelona, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina and even Italy. See how if there is nothing on in front of them they come back and start again until they have dragged the opposition out of position and created a chance. It is simply not good enough to get to a certain point on the pitch and then feel compelled to hit the ball forward in the hope that possession can be maintained

Rant over

nail right on the head
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

Point taken Tony…

The main stumbling block to lasting improvement in our national team is the way kids are coached. We play competitive games on full size pitches where the only goal is to win; our continental counter parts teach kids ball control, to love the ball, to retain possession and to use the ball wisely. Until huge changes are made at the beginning we will always end international tournaments in disappointment. The problem in England is the Premiership, it is god and it governs English football, not the FA. Roy can only use the players that are available to him and although I take your point about formation, it is still early days. I am, for now, prepared to give the benefit of the doubt.

I thought Ashley Young was terrible, clearly not good enough to make the step up to international football. Rooney, I hope that for him it was a case of suffering from not playing in the first two games because he too looked out classed. I think the jury is still out on Walcott and I would have liked to have seen the Ox come on instead.

Cole, Terry, Johnson, Gerrard and Parker all put in good performances.
    Nicki
    Nicki
    Academy

Post  Nicki Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

I hate having to say that I thought Terry had one of his best games for England last night. Does that show how bad the rest of the team were??
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Mon 25 Jun 2012, 1:44 pm

No, I don't think so Nicki......Credit where it is due, Terry played out of his skin.
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Mon 25 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

Indeed he did.

Shame he's such a bell end.
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Mon 25 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

The problems lies with our so called footballing / Skilled players.
    Rooney is regarded as a top player however was well below what is expected.
    Young was just awful and Parker and Gerrard are just not passing type players. In fact Parker cannot hit a barn door with his passing.
    Defence had a good game however the others are just not good enough.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 25 Jun 2012, 8:13 pm

Su formations have changed drastically over the years but they just a starting line-up at the end of the day and/or a position to take up when you are NOT in possession. When I watch the top sides they always seem to have more players than us. That is because they have 5 in midfield against our 4 so can pass around us. Sadly if we did play another system (4-2-3-1 for example) we would still not be very good as we have few players that are technically good enough to keep possession in tight area. As you quite rightly say, until we stop putting kids on full size pitches with the emphasis being on being "big, strong and quick" at the expense of cherishing the ball, passing AND moving into space to receive the ball back we will remain light years behind the rest of the world who have moved on since 1966! I hope that the new FA School of Excellence (or whatever it is called) addresses these deficiencies and that STB and Gareth Southgate get their way.

On the plus side we do have young English players who fit the bill for the new world. Players like Jack Wilshere &Jack Rodwell. I just hope that they - along with other young English talented players - get enough game time in the PL
    SemiOldIron
    SemiOldIron
    Academy

Post  SemiOldIron Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

Tony P wrote:

On the plus side we do have young English players who fit the bill for the new world. Players like Jack Wilshere &Jack Rodwell. I just hope that they - along with other young English talented players - get enough game time in the PL

Agreed, Mr P. It's ironic that the English game has given the framework for the world's greatest league, and then our home players are steadily being frozen out of it. Trouble is with so many foreign owners in the PL now, the people with the influence to change things don't see this as a problem as long as the money keeps coming in.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:48 pm

Spain v Portugal

Spain : Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Piqué, Alba; Busquets, Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva & Negredo.

Portugal: Patricio, Pereira, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Coentrao, Veloso, Meireles, Moutinho, Nani, Ronaldo & Almeida

I,m going for a Spanish win tonight with Silva getting two and Blinky getting one

Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Wed 27 Jun 2012, 8:35 pm

No.

Winkers to win.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Wed 27 Jun 2012, 8:46 pm

Half time 0-0. Brilliant match so far. The Portuguese surprising the Spanish a bit.
    They could have been in front but for the referee, who obviously hates Nani Laughing
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Match Threads for the 2012 Euros - Page 7 Empty Euro 2012 Final Spain v Italy

Post  Tony P Sun 01 Jul 2012, 6:54 pm

Starting line-ups

SpainStarting XI

Casillas; Arbeloa, Pique, Ramos, Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Xabi Alonso; Iniesta, Silva, Fábregas.

ItalyStarting XI

Buffon; Abate, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Pirlo, Marchisio, De Rossi, Montolivo; Cassano, Balotelli.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:03 pm

Should be a good game to watch , dont know who I want to win though , think I,ll go for Italy

Last edited by Admin on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : made a boo boo)
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:40 pm

Admin wrote:Should be a good game to watch , dont know who I want to win though , think I,ll go for Italy

Which ones are they then Geezer?!
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sun 01 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

Oops that came out a bit wrong cheesey grin . I take it your gonna hoping for an Italy win Tone ?
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sun 01 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm

Italians have an up hill battle now after two very good goals from the Spanish
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:22 pm

Admin wrote:Oops that came out a bit wrong cheesey grin . I take it your gonna hoping for an Italy win Tone ?

I was Tone. Totally outplayed though Sad
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sun 01 Jul 2012, 10:49 pm

They played some good stuff along the way though Tony .... running rings around the Germans the biggest highlight and not forgetting Pirlo... heart

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 3:37 am