West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

Mad Dog appointed Gills manager

Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Mad Dog appointed Gills manager Empty Mad Dog appointed Gills manager

Post  Tony P Thu 05 Jul 2012, 9:43 pm

Ex-Barnet boss Allen takes charge of League Two rivals Gillingham

Gillingham have appointed Martin Allen as their new manager.

Allen has signed a two-year deal and succeeds Andy Hessenthaler, who agreed to step down at the end of last season.

The 46-year-old former West Ham midfielder was most recently in charge of npower League Two rivals Barnet - a third spell at Underhill - preserving the Bees' Football League status on the final day of the campaign for the second year running.

Gills chairman Paul Scally said: 'It has been a very extensive process. We have seen some extremely good applicants but I have got to know Martin very, very well and I am delighted that he has accepted the role.

'I've had over 60 CVs sent to me since May 6. The directors and Andy (Hessenthaler) and I went through them and we saw 16 individuals, some of them for a second time.

'After those meetings we made a shortlist of four and we met with them again. At the end of that process we unanimously agreed to offer the job to Martin.'

Scally added: 'Martin is very determined, he's a football man, he's a winner, he's different, has some different ideas and I think he's going to be a very interesting man to w**k with.

'He has a lot of ability and experience and with his determination and a bit of luck, hopefully we can achieve our goals this season.

'The target for everyone is to try and improve this season and get promotion. That would have been the same target irrespective of who the manager is.'

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 6:36 am