West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+9
Jiggs
Charlie Ham
Owlish
Tony P
SemiOldIron
Johnny K
Campo
alfiehammer
daib0
13 posters

Reading fan Chat - Reading v West Ham (29/12/2012)

daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Reading fan Chat -  Reading v West Ham  (29/12/2012) Empty Reading fan Chat - Reading v West Ham (29/12/2012)

Post  daib0 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 3:40 pm

A warm hello once again to all Hammers fans – for those who don’t know me yet, it’s a Royals fan 100% in peace on here regularly, and I represent Reading’s ‘Royals Rendezvous’. It would be really interesting for us to have any general comments from you, like how you see the game going and general thoughts on your own team, and your (honest!) opinion of Reading.

We’ve always prided ourselves on large and in-depth match presentations, which largely feature on the team we are playing and not on ourselves. I hope you might all enjoy browsing it this week –
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And a fine as possible mention is given of your forum as the unofficial site suggestion … trust me, our members love to hear what other fans have to say, there are no ‘Wums’ on RR (and we’d stamp ‘em out anyway!).

I know some people don’t particularly like other fans producing a shopping list of questions to answer, and I perfectly understand that, so I leave any comments freely and totally with you. But if you like, these simple following ideas might be used as a very basic guide in case you’d like to write to something slightly longer:

A] What do you feel are currently the strongest areas of YOUR squad, and who should Reading individually look out for / fear most?
    B] Any young stars coming through the academy that we should keep an eye on, now or in the future? Any thoughts on the new national U21 leagues, congratulations on such a fine showing in the first stages, you’re now into the Elite Division …
    C] Well, it’s a re-run of last season at the top of the premier so far, both Manchester clubs are really turning the heat on, but I should like as a genuine fan to say how impressed I am with your own season – it certainly exceeded many of our expectations if I am honest. So … where do you think you can finish at the end of the season if all goes well?
    D] How strong do you see the general level of the premier this season, and any surprises for you? What about Reading FC and our current football (you can be honest!) – do you frankly see us surviving, when there is already a nasty gap opening up above us? ...

Many thanks, here’s to a good game! I’ll be looking in daily, so likewise, any questions from you - just pop them on this thread …

Finally, here’s the The RR Guide for Away fans - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Everything on travel, eating & drinking at Reading …

daib0
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Reading fan Chat -  Reading v West Ham  (29/12/2012) Empty Re: Reading fan Chat - Reading v West Ham (29/12/2012)

Post  alfiehammer Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:13 pm

daib0 wrote:A warm hello once again to all Hammers fans – for those who don’t know me yet, it’s a Royals fan 100% in peace on here regularly, and I represent Reading’s ‘Royals Rendezvous’. It would be really interesting for us to have any general comments from you, like how you see the game going and general thoughts on your own team, and your (honest!) opinion of Reading.

We’ve always prided ourselves on large and in-depth match presentations, which largely feature on the team we are playing and not on ourselves. I hope you might all enjoy browsing it this week –

And a fine as possible mention is given of your forum as the unofficial site suggestion … trust me, our members love to hear what other fans have to say, there are no ‘Wums’ on RR (and we’d stamp ‘em out anyway!).

I know some people don’t particularly like other fans producing a shopping list of questions to answer, and I perfectly understand that, so I leave any comments freely and totally with you. But if you like, these simple following ideas might be used as a very basic guide in case you’d like to write to something slightly longer:

A] What do you feel are currently the strongest areas of YOUR squad, and who should Reading individually look out for / fear most?

Our strongest area of our squad really is its togetherness. We are better then the sum of our parts! If I had to pick one individual then diame has been my fave hammer this year closely followed by Nolan.

B] Any young stars coming through the academy that we should keep an eye on, now or in the future? Any thoughts on the new national U21 leagues, congratulations on such a fine showing in the first stages, you’re now into the Elite Division …

It's shocking to admit this but I know very little about the hammers till they hit the first team. We always had a good youth set up and very proud of our performances so far

C] Well, it’s a re-run of last season at the top of the premier so far, both Manchester clubs are really turning the heat on, but I should like as a genuine fan to say how impressed I am with your own season – it certainly exceeded many of our expectations if I am honest. So … where do you think you can finish at the end of the season if all goes well?

Top ten would be amazing, I honestly would be shocked if we get any higher then 10th. Simply put our squad is just too small once injuries and suspension kick in. Unless we get a lot of bodies in jan. but they have to be the right player at the right price. I don't see it happening.

D] How strong do you see the general level of the premier this season, and any surprises for you? What about Reading FC and our current football (you can be honest!) – do you frankly see us surviving, when there is already a nasty gap opening up above us? ...

It's obvious there is a gap in quality between the coco pops and premier league. It's normally the defences that looked solid in the coco pops that get done by better movement of premier league strikers I think. It's been a funny year in the premier league with decent teams like arse, Liverpoo and Newcastle struggling.

I have to be honest, reading who looked very good last year, along with the saints, now look very out their depth in the premier league. Playing really attacking football like hull, Blackpool and Swansea have done seems to be the best tactic when getting promoted. Good luck to reading but think you lack any kind of a defence and a goal scorer up front. Sorry dude.

Many thanks, here’s to a good game! I’ll be looking in daily, so likewise, any questions from you - just pop them on this thread …

Finally, here’s the The RR Guide for Away fans - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Everything on travel, eating & drinking at Reading …

daib0
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Reading fan Chat -  Reading v West Ham  (29/12/2012) Empty Re: Reading fan Chat - Reading v West Ham (29/12/2012)

Post  daib0 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

cheers alfie, much appreciated. yep I know that the move up to the premier was very big - to be honest Reading over-achieved last season (McDermott always did surges in 2nd half of season, perhaps took the others by surprise?) and at the moment we don't look above decent championship class in most games this season. In fact on the prediction thread we've got there are more Hammers wins put up than home victories given so far, at least that means our forum members can't be called arrogant ******!!
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:34 pm

U likely to have any funds to spend in jan? Fear for u lot otherwise! I'd actually forgotten pardew came from u lot till I read the review on the link u provided- a good comprehensive review that. I must admit I'd love at least. A point from the game but you never really know which west ham will turn up. And that game advise, good luck reading, not a bad club at all. handshake
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Thu 27 Dec 2012, 10:24 pm

As Alfie has said, Sam has really got the squad together, the lads like him and that has given us a bit of bite that we have lacked for a few years.
    I think Reading are going to have trouble with Cole this weekend, he is not looking to bad.

Young Hall seems to be impressing on his loan
    Moncur and Fanimo also going well for the wippersnappers

If we can get rid of the injury problems 10-11th
    the way things are going 13-15th

General level of the premier league is not as good as previous seasons
    Reading will need around 6 wins 10 draws in the last 19 games and that is euro league form, its a big ask.
    I am not sure what funds your manager had to spend in the summer but its looking like the lack of premier league experience is going to cost Reading.
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Thu 27 Dec 2012, 10:41 pm

I'm a bit worried about this match. I haven't got the stats to back this up but it seems to me that Reading have been scoring freely this season but have been losing high scoring games by the odd goal. Almost the opposite of ManU. I'm a bit happier now CC is available but out of all the teams down the bottom Reading are the team I'm most concerned about playing as I think they may be waiting to give someone a beating. I hope Winston & Ginge are on top form & we have our best full backs on the field. I'll accept a point.
    SemiOldIron
    SemiOldIron
    Academy

Post  SemiOldIron Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm

Mr Daibo,
    Your website is very good, particularly the advice to visiting fans, many thanks. Wish more people did it. Regarding the match, I will be happy with a point - we might grind out a 0-0, or snatch an equaliser in a 1-1 or something, but I cannot see us doing much scoring as we are at present, even against your defence.
    As others have noted, Reading and the Saints got promoted with a philosophy based on trying to win, which can work in the Chumps but not in the PL. Our current philosophy, BFS's philosophy , starts with trying not to lose, which appears to be a lot better suited to the middle reaches of the PL, which is all that we aspire to at present.
    I reckon it's 50/50 whether you go down again, but I wouldn't like to see McDermott sacked if you do - it's not as if he has wasted the owner's cash or dragged you downhill. I'd rather see Wigan take the drop simply because they cannot generate a proper level of support for a PL team; rather see QPR go because Fernandes thought he could buy a place in the PL ( and employed the Evil Twitcher ); rather see the Saints go because they and their manager are just a bit too cocky. I won't mention those I would really, really love to see relegated, because they won't be.
    Good luck for ther future - after the weekend, that is. Very Happy scarf
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 2:54 pm

Fantastic guys, I made a thread out of these on RR basically around your replies - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Reading fans are wary of Hammers fans on the whole, I think this is due to away fan posters being half-killed on KUMB (though I haven't signed up to that one)and it's also pretty tough on FAH, so it's a real pleasure to give you guys a glowing report as you deserve.

I don't think we're an arrogant bunch on the whole, obviously we've picked up a few plastics, couldn't avoid that cos twenty years ago we had no history of note at all and at least we're now rubbing shoulders with some of the big boys. 'Promise that whatever happens on Saturday, no gloating if we win, and no whinging/WUM-ming if we lose. Perhaps a draw would be easiest for all!! Smile
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

alfiehammer wrote:U likely to have any funds to spend in jan? Fear for u lot otherwise! I'd actually forgotten pardew came from u lot till I read the review on the link u provided- a good comprehensive review that. I must admit I'd love at least. A point from the game but you never really know which west ham will turn up. And that game advise, good luck reading, not a bad club at all. handshake

Yeah, should get some money, but worry is that Brian McDermott seems almost too thankful to be able to be boss, and doesn't go banging in the office asking for far more money. He's a good scout, but in the premier we'll need proven players to get us out of this mess ...
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Fri 28 Dec 2012, 4:22 pm

daib0 wrote:Fantastic guys, I made a thread out of these on RR basically around your replies - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Reading fans are wary of Hammers fans on the whole, I think this is due to away fan posters being half-killed on KUMB (though I haven't signed up to that one)and it's also pretty tough on FAH, so it's a real pleasure to give you guys a glowing report as you deserve.

I don't think we're an arrogant bunch on the whole, obviously we've picked up a few plastics, couldn't avoid that cos twenty years ago we had no history of note at all and at least we're now rubbing shoulders with some of the big boys. 'Promise that whatever happens on Saturday, no gloating if we win, and no whinging/WUM-ming if we lose. Perhaps a draw would be easiest for all!! Smile

Course u can gloat if u win/ whinge if u lose...that's what's being a football fan is all about, long as u got a beer in one hand and hand one over with the other Reading fan Chat -  Reading v West Ham  (29/12/2012) 3777063607
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Fri 28 Dec 2012, 6:42 pm

Sorry but this is just one of many reasons why I cannot stomach Reading FC

alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Fri 28 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

we were awful that day! doh
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 8:17 pm

let's face it, who hasn't been hammered then?!!
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:23 pm

Lets be honest every team has been on the back ending of a right embarrassing one, it just nice giving one back hatsoff
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Sat 29 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

daib0 wrote:Fantastic guys, I made a thread out of these on RR basically around your replies - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You've made me think about a theory about big city clubs that I've been thinking about for some time now. When I was a kid in the 60s I had a neighbour who had cousins from the Reading area. They sometimes came up to London & I went over to Reading a couple of times with him & met quite a few of the local kids (don't ask me exactly where - for me it was somewhere out in the country!). All those kids supported London clubs, or the Brum clubs, partly because Reading was in the lower leagues, but also because their families came from the Smoke & Brum, so mostly chelsea, spurs & arsenal & some brum city & villa.

Fast forward 20+ years to the early 90s. I am working in West London & 2 blokes, who didn't know each other before, are colleagues of mine. Both are from the Reading area & both are Reading fans even though they originally come from London families.

I found this very interesting. Clearly it was partly to do with Reading being more successful, although I think they were fresh out of Div 3 at that time, but I also think it is evidence of development of loyalty to the area they have been raised in. Both had fathers who supported London clubs but were taken to Reading as kids & decided to go with their local club. I think Reading were the first example of this but other clubs just outside the capital & even other cities are following suit. Wycombe, Stevenage, Crawley - Burton in the Midlands. I think this is evidence of the traditional football supporting working class re-defining their roots in their new home areas.

There is a thesis in there somewhere - not sure I'm the man to do it though!
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Sat 29 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

really good post, Johnny ...
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:18 pm

I have grown up in a London over spill town, in the 70s it was all London clubs being supported in Basingstoke
    80 and 90s the Liverpools and the red mancs started to appear
    since the introduction of the SKY TV supporters the shirts around the town change depending on who is top of the prem at the time doh
    Its a bloody shame really, Basingstoke has a population of over 120,000 , yet Basingstoke FC has around 350 through the gate for a home game.
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Sat 29 Dec 2012, 12:48 pm

Campo wrote:I have grown up in a London over spill town, in the 70s it was all London clubs being supported in Basingstoke
    80 and 90s the Liverpools and the red mancs started to appear
    since the introduction of the SKY TV supporters the shirts around the town change depending on who is top of the prem at the time doh
    Its a bloody shame really, Basingstoke has a population of over 120,000 , yet Basingstoke FC has around 350 through the gate for a home game.

that's true, and why don't Basingstoke and Reading have more to do with each other? It's not that we don't get on, but one's another world to the other. Strange that, being so close ...

Anyway, shame is that after being on all week ... I'm working this afternoon and evening (and it's good pay so can't turn it down). Back later tonight or tomorrow morning lads ...

Just enjoy, however it goes!!
    Owlish
    Owlish
    Tea Boy/Girl

Post  Owlish Sat 29 Dec 2012, 1:18 pm

Seconding daib0's comments, and best wishes for a safe trip to any and all Hammer fans making the trip to Reading for today's match. Congratulations on your season to date in the Premier League (yes, I am jealous!) and best wishes for it to continue in the New Year (after our match today and excepting our match in May!). I believe Reading will give your club a good match today and expect however the points fall at the end, they will have been well-earned. See you after the match!

Last edited by Owlish on Sat 29 Dec 2012, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellink - always spellink...)
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Sat 29 Dec 2012, 2:24 pm

Can't help thinking that Reading are going to again do well against us.
    Can see us just trying to defend and always backing off. Just a matter of time before they score.
    Hope I'm wrong.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 29 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm

Charlie.....will you stop thinking those 'orrible things tits
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Sat 29 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

Sorry Jiggs.

Going to be one of those days.
    Owlish
    Owlish
    Tea Boy/Girl

Reading fan Chat -  Reading v West Ham  (29/12/2012) Empty Very fortunate outcome for Reading

Post  Owlish Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:17 pm

We were fortunate to catch your squad a bit understrength from injury and gain a win from a close, chippy (from both sides) match. Not the best advert for Premier League football, but some matches go that way. Had Vaz Te buried that uncontested header (very poor defending on our part) it would have been a draw, and we could have had little to complain of other than our failure to cover him. (I guess by the unwritten Fan Code I should not admit that my side made any errors, but as one of the Reading 'plastics' from America who has never been to Reading, I do as I like.) As fans, we have different impressions of actions on the pitch - that is to be expected.

We are still chasing points and they are hard to come by in this league. I hope we've found a way to play in the Premier League that will gain us the points to stay up, but it will be a tough slog. Full marks to West Ham - you've collected essentially twice as many as we have so far, even after yesterday. When we meet next, things may be decided or not - only time will tell. See you 19 May at UP!

And full marks to your poster Geezer as well - he visited the RR board and was very fair - he had his WHU glasses on and we had out RFC goggles, but fair play all around.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:23 pm

Good post Owlish ,sensible , very rare on here cheesey grin So waht part of the states are you in and why Reading ?
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 7:47 pm

Admin wrote:Good post Owlish ,sensible , very rare on here cheesey grin So waht part of the states are you in and why Reading ?

I can answer that in case he's too modest, visit here, he was on our 'Special Interview of the Month': [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And Geezer, Campo, Jiggs and the gang - would love a couple of you being 'stars' too in these interviews at some point in 2013 as special outside invitations, what d'you say?!! Questions would be sinch, you only choose the ones you like best anyway, and they are getting very good viewing figures! I'll hassle you in a few months, OK?!! Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 11:02 am