West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+5
Stooby Doo 2002
Arran H
IronDane
Dan C
Jiggs
9 posters

West Ham United v Aston Villa

Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

West Ham United  v  Aston Villa Empty West Ham United v Aston Villa

Post  Jiggs Fri 01 Nov 2013, 10:41 pm

West Ham United  v  Aston Villa 367 West Ham United v Aston VillaWest Ham United  v  Aston Villa 238

Barclays Premier League
    Venue: Upton Park
    Date: Saturday, 2nd November 2013

West Ham's injury problems have worsened, with Matthew Taylor and Mladen Petric the latest casualties this week.
    The re-signed Carlton Cole is not yet ready for a Premier League start, according to manager Sam Allardyce.
    Aston Villa forward Gabriel Agbonlahor is unlikely to recover in time from the ankle injury he suffered during last weekend's defeat by Everton.
    Left-backs Antonio Luna (hamstring) and Joe Bennett (back) are both sidelined.

MATCH PREVIEW

What a curious start to the season it has been for these two sides.
    Both have recorded eye-catching wins - West Ham at Spurs, 
    Villa against Arsenal and Manchester City - but neither can find any consistency, 
    particularly at home.
    From that point of view, Aston Villa may feel the more comfortable of the two teams going into this fixture. 
    Paul Lambert has won more away games with Villa than at home, with their counter-attacking 
    style better suited on the road.
    Villa will maintain they have had a tough run of fixtures - having faced six of last season's top seven teams
     in their first nine games - but you feel that, until their young side has played together for longer, 
    they will continue to be looking over their shoulder.

The same might be said for West Ham, who will be hard pressed to improve on last season's tenth-place finish.
    The story of their current campaign revolves around the absence of forward Andy Carroll. 
    The resulting lack of a focal point has really hindered the Hammers. 
    Carlton Cole has been re-signed but is still building up his fitness, 
    and Ricardo Vaz Te is out for a while.
    Sam Allardyce's side rely a lot on the midfield axis of Mark Noble and Kevin Nolan, 
    and we have yet to see the best of the wingers brought in by Allardyce, Matt Jarvis 
    and ex-Villa man Stewart Downing.

Villa's cause is helped by the fact they have just got their main striker - Christian Benteke - back from injury, 
    although Gabby Agbonlahor is likely to miss out.

This is a fixture that's produced few goals in recent times and I'm not expecting this occasion to be any different. 
    One thing's for sure, the losers will be looking downwards.

MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head

Eight of the 17 Premier League meetings at Upton Park have ended in draws.

• West Ham beat Villa for only the third time in their last 12 attempts at home on the opening day of last season. Kevin Nolan scored the only goal.

West Ham

The Hammers have lost their last three home matches. They have not suffered four consecutive home defeats since the 2005-06 season.

West Ham have never lost four of their first five top-flight home matches.

They have failed to score in five of their nine fixtures, the joint-worst record in the division.

However, only three clubs (Southampton, Tottenham and Chelsea) have conceded fewer goals than West Ham's tally of eight.

A third of their nine league games have ended 0-0 this season.

• Stewart Downing and Carlton Cole have both previously played for Aston Villa.

Aston Villa

Villa have conceded the opening goal in seven of their Premier League fixtures this season, more than any other side.

They have only taken one point from the last three matches and failed to score in that time. Villa last went four successive league games without a goal between December 2009 and January 2010.

Paul Lambert has won more away league games (seven) as manager of Aston Villa than he has at Villa Park (six).

Lambert's side have won five, drawn two and lost just two of their last nine league away games.

• Christian Benteke has missed two penalties this season. There have only been six penalties missed in total in the top flight this term.

Last edited by Jiggs on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

West Ham United  v  Aston Villa Empty Re: West Ham United v Aston Villa

Post  Dan C Sat 02 Nov 2013, 11:16 am

Interesting to note that Chambers and Potts didn't play for the Under-21s last night, but Ruddock did (incidentally, we drew 3-3 with Chelsea - we were 2-0 up, then 3-2 up, with the Blues scoring a 94th minute leveller, two minutes after we should apparently have had a nailed-on penalty). After the performances of both young full-backs on Tuesday night, I would start with them today. What's the point in having competition for places if, when a player comes in and takes their chance, they don't then keep the shirt? I would also leave out Diame, who has been poor since White Hart Lane, and give young Ravel a rest - for me, he was our least effective player at Swansea. Collison was impressive as we took the upper hand in the second half at Burnley and has earned a start, in my opinion. I do think we should have a striker today which means, with Carlton not match-fit to start and Petric and Vaz Te injured, the return of Maiga to the starting XI. He hasn't earned it, but there's no-one else. I'd go with:

Jaaskelainen
    Chambers, Tomkins, Reid, Potts
    Collison, Nolan, Noble
    Downing, Maiga, J.Cole

Subs: Adrian, O'Brien, Rat, Diame, Morrison, Jarvis, C.Cole.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 02 Nov 2013, 11:45 am

Yeah, why not Dan ...... We need to shake things up a bit and I'd love to see something different today, not least a home win.

Opposition players that have been out injured always seem to get fit in time to play us.  Shame that Benteke couldn't have stayed crocked for one more day!

Setting off to the supps club soon ... COYI!
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Sat 02 Nov 2013, 1:07 pm

COYI! West Ham United  v  Aston Villa 780148547 
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 02 Nov 2013, 3:53 pm

How we are not winning this at half time I do not know ?!? We have dominated Villa in the 1st half with only a few chances for Villa ,

Would like Diame to come on for the start of the 2nd half and maybe Carlton Cole on for the last 10mins
    Stooby Doo 2002
    Stooby Doo 2002
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Stooby Doo 2002 Sat 02 Nov 2013, 4:03 pm

60% possession in the first half.........All that was missing was a goal...That Weimman is pretty bloody quick, need to keep tabs on him......I think Villa will be a different side this half and wont let us play the ball around!
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 02 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm

Looks like it`s another 0-0 draw unless we get a late goal which I don't think will happen.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 02 Nov 2013, 7:29 pm

Where was everyone today?

Just got home myself......What a frustrating day all round .. It seems the whole of London Transport is in chaos, closing stations and terminating trains and buses before they reach their destinations.  

Villa's scummy fans showed utter disrespect in the minutes silence for our war dead and the services that were in attendance today.  Then their team resorted to diving and play acting, because basically they have little else to offer. 

Us? Plenty of crosses going in - to nobody. Goal in sight and no-one wants to take a shot! Then Carlton comes on .... pfft!

Cold, pissed off and not looking forward to the next episode ...
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sat 02 Nov 2013, 9:14 pm

Villa fans = bunch of banjo players , disrespectful West Ham United  v  Aston Villa 3725042725 ,s . END OF
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Sat 02 Nov 2013, 9:21 pm

Joe Cole looked good though, like in the beginning of the season... 0-0 again zzzz. Well at least it wasn't our 4th home loss.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sat 02 Nov 2013, 9:37 pm

All I could do was follow the score line via sky news at work. I do rate benteke so glad we kept a clean sheet but this is the kind of games we need to be winning IF we wish to remain in the premier league
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sat 02 Nov 2013, 11:24 pm

Lining up against a team we should be looking to take points off  with no forwards is shocking.

Poor match. West Ham United  v  Aston Villa 3953004961
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Hungry Hammer 66 Sun 03 Nov 2013, 4:15 pm

At least back in the day we had, The I.C.F. who Knew how to win !!!
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sun 03 Nov 2013, 6:59 pm

fishing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 10:23 pm