West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+9
Sir Ian
alfiehammer
Jiggs
westhamonkey
Campo
manurewa hammer
Dan C
Blakey
Tony P
13 posters

Hammer of the Year

Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Hammer of the Year Empty Hammer of the Year

Post  Tony P Sun 04 May 2014, 9:15 pm

A few reasons here why I voted for Stewart Downing as our HOTY. In what was a poor season I felt that he shone in the creative department in a side mostly devoid of any creativity whatsoever. He was pretty much a 7/10 every game and always stood out for me. All about opinions though

How West Ham winger Stewart Downing raised his game to expose Spurs’ problematic full-backs
    By [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Hammer of the Year Downing-West-Ham-Transfer-Review
    Stewart Downing will end his career renowned as one of the most divisive characters in the Premier League era, as his performances have continued to separate those that rate him between those that feel he is little more than a one-trick pony.
    It could be fair to say that Downing has been on a downward slide in terms of his impact for the past three years, with his move from Aston Villa to Liverpool having failed to prove effective and leading to his sale to West Ham last summer.
    Downing has perhaps not had the desired impact he might have hoped for at the Hammers as his season had no goals and just two assists to show before Saturday, but he upped his game to be one of the key players that helped [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and completed the league double over their London rivals.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    No West Ham player has created more than the 60 chances Downing has this season

In truth, Downing has actually been West Ham’s most creative spark in a difficult season that has seen manager Sam Allardyce receive a raft of criticism for his tactics and style of play, but his acquisition of Downing could prove one of his more inspired signings in his time with the Hammers, if the Liverpool man can build on his match-winning display against Spurs.
    Downing was once again the man behind a lot of what West Ham did well against Spurs as he had a hand in both goals and the decisive moment of the match, as his driving run saw him upended by Younes Kaboul, with the Frenchman seeing an early red card that put the Hammers firmly in control.
    Shortly afterwards it was Downing’s corner that was met by Andy Carroll, whose header deflected off the head of Harry Kane and into the back of the net to give West Ham a deserved lead.
    That was one of five chances that Downing managed to create over the course of the 90 minutes, more than any other player on the pitch managed, including 2014′s assist king, Christian Eriksen, as his partnership with Carroll finally has had the desired effect Allardyce signed him for.
    Carroll has suffered an injury hit campaign to deprive the pair from forming the bond that Allardyce wanted to unleash on the Premier League for much of the season and Downing was able to repeatedly find his fellow Liverpool reject on countless occasions as Spurs failed to deal with Downing’s pinpoint crosses and Carroll’s towering presence.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Downing completed five crosses against Tottenham on Saturday
    In addition to his fine creative build-up play, Downing also netted his first goal in West Ham colours as he benefited from some bizarre defending from the Spurs wall, namely Emmanuel Adebayor and Paulinho, to hit his free kick into the bottom corner.
    Tottenham’s wall conveniently parted to allow Downing’s slightly scuffed free kick through and past an unsighted Hugo Lloris, but it was the least the former England winger deserved for his performance.
    Allardyce has endured some bad luck and has made some bad decisions, but the hopes he had for West Ham’s season have finally started to come together in time for an improved 2014/15 campaign as the return to fitness of Carroll and Downing finally finding his feet in East London looks set to bear fruit ahead of next season.
    If West Ham can keep these two fit and playing together in this manner next season, they should not face the nervy relegation-threatened campaign that this season has brought about.
    It’s been a long wait for Downing to make the impact that Hammers hoped for, but if he can maintain this standard on a consistent basis, he could soon become a cult hero at the Boleyn Ground.
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Hammer of the Year Empty Re: Hammer of the Year

Post  Blakey Mon 05 May 2014, 7:38 am

I voted for Adrian
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 05 May 2014, 9:59 am

Blakey wrote:I voted for Adrian

He was on my shortlist but as didn't become our No.1 until 21 December I discounted him
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Mon 05 May 2014, 11:36 am

Downing has been good all season, and impressive at times - I'm a fan of his. Noble too has been consistently superb. For me though, Hammer of the Year is a tale of two halves - Ravel Morrison for the first half of the season and Adrian for the second. I went for Adrian as his entrance into the side lifted both players and fans at a time when it was truly needed. He was a huge factor in crucial wins against Cardiff and Norwich, as well as our vital point at Chelsea. I voted as follows:

Hammer of the Year - Adrian
    Best Individual Performance - Mark Noble (Cardiff away)
    Best Team Performance - 3-0 at Tottenham
    Goal of the Season - Ravel Morrison at Tottenham
    Save of the Season - Adrian from Oscar at Chelsea
    Signing of the Season - Adrian

As an addition, I think it's outrageous that the Hammer of the Year award was not a part of the final home game of the season, as per tradition. There has been plenty of talk this season about season-ticket holders being short-changed - well, why is the prestigious award being handed out in front of a handful of corporate types at £300 a go, rather than in front of 32,000 regular West Ham fans at Upton Park, who put in the time, money and effort every single week? I'm not bothered about the other awards but HotY should have been given to the winner after the game on Saturday. Very poor from the club.
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Mon 05 May 2014, 11:37 am

I've gone for Tompkins
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Mon 05 May 2014, 11:43 am

manurewa hammer wrote:I've gone for Tompkins

I hope you spelt his name right when voting ;-)
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 05 May 2014, 1:17 pm

As I stated before Dan, I have voted for a player who has been consistent for the whole season. Adrian has been mostly excellent since late December and Ravel was mostly good before he went out on loan in January. Downing has played every game when he wasn't out injured (assaulted by Flanagan at Liverpool) so he gets my vote

All about opinions though !
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Mon 05 May 2014, 2:35 pm

Adrian and Downing have been the only stand-out players this season
    I thought that the Downing signing was a big mistake, glad to be proved wrong and he takes HOTY for me this year
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Mon 05 May 2014, 6:44 pm

you can put up all the "what fors" and the "why nots" you like...

but the simple truth is... we've been pretty shit this season and escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth.

there's nothing to be celebrated about the past 8 months except that.

To give someone an accolade saying they're "Hammer of the Year" is pretty insulting to anyone who's watched the team this season and anyone who's actually deserved to carry that honor before now.

It's like there was a "Hammer of the Year" when we got relegated... what kind of shit is that?

Someone at the club should stand up and tell them 'none of you bunch of clowns deserves a prize for this season... '
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Mon 05 May 2014, 6:57 pm

Sorry WHM but that's rubbish. I've been to every home game this season and 18 away games in all competitions and I wouldn't begin to think of it as an insult. It's an opportunity to acknowledge a player who has given his all and show our appreciation to him. As for when we were relegated... Scott Parker..? Arguably the best season from any individual from a relegated team ever. He won the FWA Player of the Year too, while playing in a team that finished bottom. There's always someone who deserves player of the year.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 05 May 2014, 7:16 pm

Dan C wrote:Sorry WHM but that's rubbish. I've been to every home game this season and 18 away games in all competitions and I wouldn't begin to think of it as an insult. It's an opportunity to acknowledge a player who has given his all and show our appreciation to him. As for when we were relegated... Scott Parker..? Arguably the best season from any individual from a relegated team ever. He won the FWA Player of the Year too, while playing in a team that finished bottom. There's always someone who deserves player of the year.

Agreed Dan
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Mon 05 May 2014, 7:28 pm

Sorry Dan,

I've watched ever game except the Carling Cup - only got to see one of those. Can't think of anyone this year that deserves to be "Hammer of the Year" - the bar is set so incredibly low that would you really want to be awarded it under those circumstances.

I actually agree with you about Scotty Parker in the relegation season - but I still feel that having it as a reward, regardless of where we finish, regardless of how shit we might be... just devalues it.

And there ain't always someone who deserves to be Hammer of the Year... I certainly can't think of one.

Yes, there's been players like Collins, Adrian, Reid  who have played better football than their team mates but none of them consistently enough or at a standard early that makes me think... ooh... 2013/2014... Hammer of the Year.

It's like they have that Players Dinner thing where they all go out and spend a bunch of money at a nice hotel... seems to regularly come when we're playing shite and in trouble... sure... everyone needs a pat on the back but it just doesn't sit well with me. You reward success, effort... if there's little to none or either... what's to reward.

Last edited by westhamonkey on Mon 05 May 2014, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typing is not my forte)
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Mon 05 May 2014, 9:27 pm

We always have a Hammer of the year award Monkey boy ..... Even with a bad bunch, someone has to come out on top.  Live with it!  Hammer of the Year 3717672098
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Mon 05 May 2014, 10:22 pm

Dan C wrote:Sorry WHM but that's rubbish. I've been to every home game this season and 18 away games in all competitions and I wouldn't begin to think of it as an insult. It's an opportunity to acknowledge a player who has given his all and show our appreciation to him. As for when we were relegated... Scott Parker..? Arguably the best season from any individual from a relegated team ever. He won the FWA Player of the Year too, while playing in a team that finished bottom. There's always someone who deserves player of the year.

as usual the voice of reason and kind of ties in with my "who would u sign from a relegated club" proving that good players can get relegated...
    Sir Ian
    Sir Ian
    Academy

Post  Sir Ian Tue 06 May 2014, 5:02 am

i voted for nobes, i think he was superb this season there were several games that he took the whole team on his back and just drove them on, swansea at home a case in point imo.
    i also agree with Dan, theres always a hoty and rightly so, joe cole was immense the year we went down under rodent and parker was the same the other year. im sorry monkey but your talking bollix mate.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Tue 06 May 2014, 11:18 am

Posted a link and a screen shot of my choices on book face. But I went for noble in the end
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Tue 06 May 2014, 1:08 pm

What Dan said...  as usual.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Tue 06 May 2014, 4:59 pm

I,m gonna go with Downing and Noble runner up
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Tue 06 May 2014, 7:55 pm

Academy Player of the year award to be renamed the Dylan Tombides award with permission from his family
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Tue 06 May 2014, 7:56 pm

Ben asked Sam did the results against Tottenham save your job? Sam answered 'No David Gold and Sullivan saved my job'

Sam Allardyce last remarks before he left the stage was "See you next season"
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Tue 06 May 2014, 8:34 pm

I don’t believe any of them deserved this so I will leave it up to others to vote.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Tue 06 May 2014, 8:35 pm

Cocky b'stard.........
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Tue 06 May 2014, 8:51 pm

Hammer of the Year 3717672098 
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Tue 06 May 2014, 8:58 pm

Save of the season..........From the Offishul

Well, you have voted your Save of the Season for 2013/14, sponsored by Higgins, to be Adrian's flying fingertip stop to divert a curling shot from Chelsea's Oscar onto the crossbar during the goalless Barclays Premier League draw at Stamford Bridge on 29 January!
    Adrian also took second and third place in the voting for his outstanding stops from Norwich City winger Robert Snodgrass and Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Tue 06 May 2014, 8:59 pm

Campo wrote:Academy Player of the year award to be renamed the Dylan Tombides award with permission from his family

Won by Josh Cullen

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 7:28 am