West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+7
JulianDicksLeftKnee
Arran H
Tony P
manurewa hammer
Kray JR
Jiggs
SemiOldIron
11 posters

Europa League - is it worth it?

SemiOldIron
    SemiOldIron
    Academy

Europa League - is it worth it? Empty Europa League - is it worth it?

Post  SemiOldIron Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:00 pm

As it don't seem to be tempting fate too much given our current position, I've been thinking about the Europa thingy. Is it really worth chasing? Does appearing in it actually attract any better players than we would otherwise get? Okay, it's more income for the club and a bit of fun for the fans ( long as they can forget Palermo), but you have a load of "unplanned" pre-season games instead of a planned build-up to the start of the PL, and looking at Everton this season it can fupp you up good and proper. Playing Thursday night in Mongolia or god-knows-where before a weekend PL game is not good for the players and your league position, and I don't think most PL sides now carry a big enough squad to cope with both once injuries start kicking in. It is so important that we don't struggle in the PL in the season before we go to the new gaff.
    Any thoughts , brethren? Europa League - is it worth it? 2067971686
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Europa League - is it worth it? Empty Re: Europa League - is it worth it?

Post  Jiggs Sun 21 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

We're not ready yet, certainly squad size and with on loan players.
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sun 21 Dec 2014, 9:17 pm

Kin hate the Europa League, I wouldn't mind if it was a straight knock out competition but you have to play about 50 games to win the bloody thing at the minute.
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:22 am

Don't need the Europa, But the Champions league, well that a different kettle of fish altogether eh!
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 22 Dec 2014, 7:03 am

SemiOldIron wrote:As it don't seem to be tempting fate too much given our current position, I've been thinking about the Europa thingy. Is it really worth chasing? Does appearing in it actually attract any better players than we would otherwise get? Okay, it's more income for the club and a bit of fun for the fans ( long as they can forget Palermo), but you have a load of "unplanned" pre-season games instead of a planned build-up to the start of the PL, and looking at Everton this season it can fupp you up good and proper. Playing Thursday night in Mongolia or god-knows-where before a weekend PL game is not good for the players and your league position, and I don't think most PL sides now carry a big enough squad to cope with both once injuries start kicking in. It is so important that we don't struggle in the PL in the season before we go to the new gaff.
    Any thoughts , brethren? Europa League - is it worth it? 2067971686

If the owners really want to take us to "the next level", as they say they do,then Europa League qualification is part of that step up. Yes playing Thursday/Sunday is a challenge (for the away games) but it exposes our squad to European opposition which is good. It will call for a better use of the squad but that is all part of the evolution. It will also help us to attract better and better players. Once in the Olympic Stadium then a push to break into the top four has to be the aim

Last edited by Tony P on Mon 22 Dec 2014, 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Mon 22 Dec 2014, 1:25 pm

It`s a difficult one the Europa league as on the plus side playing in Europe will attract better players etc and if we were to win it we would get into the Champions league now but on the down side is the amount of games you have to play to reach the final and the fact if you have a small squad and you start picking up injuries through playing in the Europa league it can mess up your league positions etc

But as Tony said the board will see it as a stepping stone situation where playing in Europa will bring more money in and attract better players for when we move into the new stadium which hopefully will bring us the chance to maybe compete for the champions league places better
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Mon 22 Dec 2014, 4:17 pm

It's a competition nobody wants until they qualify for it. I think shit or bust; European football in the Boleyn's last season would be fitting and poignant. Yes we have not had European football to the likes of other teams but it still holds a bit of a place in our history (though many of us not old enough to have experienced it really.)

I think it'd be great to see us out of UP and into a new era.

Can't see it happening though.
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Mon 22 Dec 2014, 8:35 pm

I can't see this happening.

I just think SAM will mess this up with bringing in his Love Children.
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Tue 23 Dec 2014, 12:47 pm

I'll not worry about loving or hating the Europa League until May next year. Our first priority is 38 points and safety, still 7 to go. Then getting in the top half of the table, then and only then will I even consider Europe.

Its the Chairmen's plan t have us in Europe, this season may be a bit early but may help to attract better players and keep some that we have (Song may stay? Jenkinson?).

What I am getting p****d off with is the constant disrespectful way we are being portrayed in the media Europa League - is it worth it? 2723394577  We have beaten two of the 'big' clubs already this season, and I think we can do Le Arse, not so sure about the cheats but overall we are where we are because our results are far better than the teams below us. Maybe we are punching above our weight, but come Jan 1st if we take four pints from our next two games then we will be in fourth spot because we deserve to be. Liverpoo, Spuds and Le Arse go suck on that WHUF

Europa League - is it worth it? 1289607003
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Tue 23 Dec 2014, 5:34 pm

mottinghammer wrote:I'll not worry about loving or hating the Europa League until May next year. Our first priority is 38 points and safety, still 7 to go. Then getting in the top half of the table, then and only then will I even consider Europe.

Its the Chairmen's plan t have us in Europe, this season may be a bit early but may help to attract better players and keep some that we have (Song may stay? Jenkinson?).

What I am getting p****d off with is the constant disrespectful way we are being portrayed in the media Europa League - is it worth it? 2723394577  We have beaten two of the 'big' clubs already this season, and I think we can do Le Arse, not so sure about the cheats but overall we are where we are because our results are far better than the teams below us. Maybe we are punching above our weight, but come Jan 1st if we take four pints from our next two games then we will be in fourth spot because we deserve to be. Liverpoo, Spuds and Le Arse go suck on that WHUF

Europa League - is it worth it? 1289607003
    Agree.  would love to stick this "down with the Christmas decorations" bollix up all their arses !
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Tue 23 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm

Europe?

we have Chelski and the frogs legacy of Arsenal
    then a month without Song and others to that mickey mouse AFCON

lets get 40 points first
    It was not that long ago Hull were at Christmas with around 28 points and went on the run of hell

however let do the russkie arseholes on Friday

Europa League - is it worth it? 1289607003 Bear WH Flag

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 1:35 am