West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+5
Nicki
mottinghammer
Charlie Ham
Arran H
Admin
9 posters

Hit the road Mick

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Hit the road Mick Empty Hit the road Mick

Post  Admin Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:46 pm

LONDON: Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday sacked manager Mick McCarthy just 24 hours after their humiliating 5-1 home loss to local rivals West Bromwich Albion.

Former Republic of Ireland international McCarthy, 53, took over at the club in 2006, guiding them into the Premier League in 2009.

But the club have won just one of their last 11 Premier League games and are now 18th in the table after a Peter Odemwingie hat-trick inspired West Brom in the Black Country derby at Molineux on Sunday.

"The board took the difficult decision after a run of form which has seen Wolves pick up 14 points in the last 22 league games," read a club statement.

"(McCarthy's assistant) Terry Connor will take charge of team training in the interim until a new manager is appointed.

"The board would like to place on record their sincere thanks and appreciation to Mick McCarthy and he leaves with the very best wishes of everyone connected to the club."

McCarthy was already under pressure to improve results after owner Steve Morgan came into the dressing room following a recent defeat against Liverpool and blasted the players for their poor performance.

A 2-1 success at QPR 10 days ago ended a run of 11 games without a victory in all competitions, but it didn't help McCarthy's cause that the Wolves fans had already lost patience with the former Sunderland and Millwall manager.

They had called for his head back in October during a 2-2 draw against Swansea and several hundred supporters protested against the ex-Republic of Ireland coach in the aftermath of Sunday's woeful derby defeat.

McCarthy publicly apologised for his players' capitulation against West Brom and insisted he believed he was still the right man for the job.

But Morgan, who is out of the country on a ski holiday, has decided a change is needed with 13 games to go if Wolves are to avoid relegation to the Championship.

Survival has been Wolves' only aim since their return to the top-flight.

Last year they only held onto their place among the elite on the final day of the season and their failure to show signs of improvement this term has cost McCarthy his job.

However, former Wolves and England boss Graham Taylor believes the players have to take some responsibility for McCarthy's exit after such a poor display against the Baggies.

"There has to be some leadership in that dressing room now," Taylor told Sky Sports News.

"I'm talking about every player. There was a real lack of leadership on the pitch against West Brom. The players have to look at themselves.

"Their Premier League futures are at risk and, irrespective of form and style, they have to get back to winning ways.

Among the favourites to replace McCarthy are Neil Warnock, recently sacked by QPR, former Sunderland boss Steve Bruce and ex-West Ham manager Alan Curbishley.

Taylor admits a change of boss may provide the spark Wolves' need to climb out of trouble and he added: "A new manager can sometimes have an effect on the players for a short period of time.

"Maybe that is behind Steve Morgan's thinking, hoping someone new will get a reaction to help the club stay in the Premier League."
    Arran H
    Reserves

Hit the road Mick Empty Re: Hit the road Mick

Post  Arran H Mon 13 Feb 2012, 2:19 pm

I know i will slated by some people on this forum but I find McCarthy quite a decent Manager , I would much pefer we had Allardyce but if we were to sack him i wouldnt mind McCarthy incharge of us .

When you looked at what he has done at wolves I think they are wrong to sack just because of a few bad results and the fact they are hanging aound in relegation positions which is where Imo i expect wolves to be .
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Mon 13 Feb 2012, 6:28 pm

Losing 5 - 1 to WBA at home, a team similar to Wolves did not help.
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Mon 13 Feb 2012, 9:37 pm

Sorry Arran but you are right I'll slate you! Haveing BFS is far better than McCarthy, he is crap, was crap and will remain crap! Ask Wolves, Eire and Pikey fans I think they will all agree with me!
    Nicki
    Nicki
    Academy

Post  Nicki Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:03 pm

Yeah he is crap. Still a big character like him will soon get some other mugs to take him on. PLEASE GOD it is never us!!
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Tue 14 Feb 2012, 4:39 am

CRAP , Nuff said
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:52 am

Arran H wrote:I know i will slated by some people on this forum but I find McCarthy quite a decent Manager , I would much pefer we had Allardyce but if we were to sack him i wouldnt mind McCarthy incharge of us .

When you looked at what he has done at wolves I think they are wrong to sack just because of a few bad results and the fact they are hanging aound in relegation positions which is where Imo i expect wolves to be .

What do you base this on Arran? Results? League position of the clubs he has managed in the Premier League? None of which suggest that he is a "decent manager". He has spent millions and done nothing with the players he has bought. They escaped relegation on goal difference last season and are in deep trouble again this. He has had more money to spend than Brendan Rogers at Swansea or Paul Lambert at Norwich. THEY are what I would call "decent managers". Look what they have done with their teams

I NEVER, EVER want him to be manager at West Ham
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Tue 14 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

I think he has done well with what he has had at his disposal and I quite like him too, but it is too late now for Wolves no matter what manager they bring in, I think. They have imo probably the weakest squad in the prem.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Tue 14 Feb 2012, 12:57 pm

Tony P wrote:
    Arran H wrote:I know i will slated by some people on this forum but I find McCarthy quite a decent Manager , I would much pefer we had Allardyce but if we were to sack him i wouldnt mind McCarthy incharge of us .

What do you base this on Arran? Results? League position of the clubs he has managed in the Premier League? None of which suggest that he is a "decent manager". He has spent millions and done nothing with the players he has bought. They escaped relegation on goal difference last season and are in deep trouble again this. He has had more money to spend than Brendan Rogers at Swansea or Paul Lambert at Norwich. THEY are what I would call "decent managers". Look what they have done with their teams

I NEVER, EVER want him to be manager at West Ham

As Irondane said he done well with what has at wolves give him a club like us with decent players and i think would be brillant IMO
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Tue 14 Feb 2012, 2:58 pm

I know shit about football managing though Wink, but when we were in the prem, I couldn't believe we were not better than this team with no real names worth mentioning. Maybe just Grant was a really really bad manager.
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Tue 14 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

IronDane wrote:I know shit about football managing though Wink, but when we were in the prem, I couldn't believe we were not better than this team with no real names worth mentioning. Maybe just Grant was a really really bad manager.

Got that right in one ID! cheesey grin
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Tue 14 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

What Motty said
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Tue 14 Feb 2012, 5:18 pm

Grant was a really really bad manager.

You got that right dude
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Tue 14 Feb 2012, 8:58 pm

going by what was said on Talkshite ealier , mick has close to £50M in his time
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:39 am

So he doesn't need to worry where the next feed is coming from! Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 2:43 am