West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

4 posters

Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff)

Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff) Empty Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff)

Post  Tony P Fri 23 Mar 2012, 9:40 pm

Sam Allardyce: facts count. not opinions

The West Ham manager on the chain of events that led to post-match disagreement with TV interviewer this week
    Share Share this article Email this article Print this article

23 March 2012

It was another home draw and more frustration the other night against Middlesbrough. Perhaps that frustration showed a little when I was interviewed by Sky’s Andy Burton afterwards but all I really said was that we should have had two penalties — I knew what I was talking about.

Matthew Bates made a movement towards the ball, stopped it going into an empty net and it doesn’t matter how much or how little of the arm the ball has hit, as long as some of it has been struck by the ball — and it had.

Compare that one with the penalty given against Michael Essien at Manchester City on Wednesday night. The ball was going way over the crossbar and was a powerful volley from less than five feet away.

Decisions like that change games and even help to decide titles. If City hadn’t been given that penalty, in my opinion, they wouldn’t have won the game. They might have drawn but they wouldn’t have won.

Our other claim on Tuesday night was equally strong. Matt Taylor was clearly caught by their goalkeeper but it wasn’t highlighted and not many saw it.

My job is to see everything. When I am asked my opinion I give it from a position of knowledge — and therefore strength. That is different from people who have an opinion often affected by the desire to say the things that others, say TV viewers, want to hear.

My opinion on Tuesday night and at other times is based on information from officials on how they want their referees to operate.

I remember that information so that when I give an opinion or talk to referees, it has a base, it’s not plucked out of thin air.

I don’t have an agenda. Telling the truth often hurts and if you’re an open and honest person, telling the truth, especially in football, can be detrimental to your career.

I have always been honest. At Bolton we achieved great results because we were clever enough to prepare the team tactically to beat bigger opposition. But the problem then was that opposition managers, either out of embarrassment and as an excuse, would sometimes criticise how we played.

That was picked up by the media and no matter what I did or said after that, eventually it became fact.

Against Middlesbrough the other night, we were accused of lumping the ball up. We didn’t, we comfortably out-passed them but once again, the long ball thing was brought up. It annoys me but I can’t let it get me down.

As I’m often saying, I don’t live in the world of perception, I inhabit the world of reality.

For example, the perception on Tuesday night was that we didn’t play well — in reality, we did. We did everything other than finish with a scoreline better than ­Middlesbrough’s.

They didn’t play better football than us and we made more passes, even though the perception was different.

That’s what slightly annoyed me about the TV interview afterwards. Middlesbrough didn’t play lovely football but they did employ a well-structured defensive game and then counter-attacked.

That is difficult to break down but we did and we had enough chances. Our failure was not to confirm that advantage by scoring.

None of the teams who we’ve played recently have played better than us. Not Crystal Palace, not Watford, not Doncaster, not Leeds and not Middlesbrough. What we have failed to do is deliver the final product.

The bottom line is how many clean sheets can we keep and how many goals can we score? Our defensive record remains solid but, at the moment, we’re not scoring enough goals.

We can’t cure those deficiencies by getting other players in, only by the players we have scoring.

We know the opposition will go the extra mile when they play us. Leeds played so hard against us that, in their next game against Nottingham Forest, the tank was empty. On Tuesday night Middlesbrough celebrated as if they had won.

It’s nothing we didn’t expect. We have to face up to it and the players must be big enough to take it. If we do under-perform, it has to be less than anyone else.

There has been criticism this season that we have loads of strikers yet I play just one up front. My answer to that is that it is antiquated nonsense. The reality is that I usually play three up, not one.

When we change it and play two up front and don’t score, as has been the case, no one seems to mention that.

No one has more knowledge and data at this football club than me. That’s fact. It’s not arrogance but it is self-confidence and there is an important difference.

I’m always learning, I never stop learning and that’s why I am confident. If I was arrogant I would be out of w**k now because I would have stopped listening in the misapprehension that I was already great.

This approach can be misconstrued as self-praise yet when a foreign coach comes here and says he is the ‘Special One’, the reaction is very different.

I do what I do for those players at West Ham. They are my priority. They are 95 per cent of my life, the rest revolves around other parts of the job and seeing the family.

The one thing about football, about life in general, is that if you don’t get the basics right, you don’t ­succeed.

We had a young chap in recently to talk to the players. He was a soldier in Afghanistan and lost the use of his arm after being shot. He emphasised that, if they don’t get their basics right out there, they could be dead.

One of the hardest jobs is to keep sight of the reality. It’s an emotional game and sometimes that results in people saying things they later regret. We’re all guilty of that.

There’s nothing to be negative about, though. Yes, we’re frustrated because, as I’ve said before, the players and me want to win games more than anyone. It’s our job, our responsibility.
    carrick
    Tea Boy/Girl

Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff) Empty Re: Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff)

Post  carrick Sat 24 Mar 2012, 4:14 am

It's embarrassing now. After reading that tripe, I guessed it may have come from the offish. It didn't, but this did...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For shame :pale:
    Arran H
    Reserves

Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff) Empty Re: Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff)

Post  Arran H Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:49 am

Tony P wrote:Sam Allardyce: facts count. not opinions

The West Ham manager on the chain of events that led to post-match disagreement with TV interviewer this week
    Share Share this article Email this article Print this article

23 March 2012

It was another home draw and more frustration the other night against Middlesbrough. Perhaps that frustration showed a little when I was interviewed by Sky’s Andy Burton afterwards but all I really said was that we should have had two penalties — I knew what I was talking about.

Matthew Bates made a movement towards the ball, stopped it going into an empty net and it doesn’t matter how much or how little of the arm the ball has hit, as long as some of it has been struck by the ball — and it had.

Compare that one with the penalty given against Michael Essien at Manchester City on Wednesday night. The ball was going way over the crossbar and was a powerful volley from less than five feet away.

Decisions like that change games and even help to decide titles. If City hadn’t been given that penalty, in my opinion, they wouldn’t have won the game. They might have drawn but they wouldn’t have won.

Our other claim on Tuesday night was equally strong. Matt Taylor was clearly caught by their goalkeeper but it wasn’t highlighted and not many saw it.

My job is to see everything. When I am asked my opinion I give it from a position of knowledge — and therefore strength. That is different from people who have an opinion often affected by the desire to say the things that others, say TV viewers, want to hear.

My opinion on Tuesday night and at other times is based on information from officials on how they want their referees to operate.

I remember that information so that when I give an opinion or talk to referees, it has a base, it’s not plucked out of thin air.

I don’t have an agenda. Telling the truth often hurts and if you’re an open and honest person, telling the truth, especially in football, can be detrimental to your career.

I have always been honest. At Bolton we achieved great results because we were clever enough to prepare the team tactically to beat bigger opposition. But the problem then was that opposition managers, either out of embarrassment and as an excuse, would sometimes criticise how we played.

That was picked up by the media and no matter what I did or said after that, eventually it became fact.

Against Middlesbrough the other night, we were accused of lumping the ball up. We didn’t, we comfortably out-passed them but once again, the long ball thing was brought up. It annoys me but I can’t let it get me down.

As I’m often saying, I don’t live in the world of perception, I inhabit the world of reality.

For example, the perception on Tuesday night was that we didn’t play well — in reality, we did. We did everything other than finish with a scoreline better than ­Middlesbrough’s.

They didn’t play better football than us and we made more passes, even though the perception was different.

That’s what slightly annoyed me about the TV interview afterwards. Middlesbrough didn’t play lovely football but they did employ a well-structured defensive game and then counter-attacked.

That is difficult to break down but we did and we had enough chances. Our failure was not to confirm that advantage by scoring.

None of the teams who we’ve played recently have played better than us. Not Crystal Palace, not Watford, not Doncaster, not Leeds and not Middlesbrough. What we have failed to do is deliver the final product.

The bottom line is how many clean sheets can we keep and how many goals can we score? Our defensive record remains solid but, at the moment, we’re not scoring enough goals.

We can’t cure those deficiencies by getting other players in, only by the players we have scoring.

We know the opposition will go the extra mile when they play us. Leeds played so hard against us that, in their next game against Nottingham Forest, the tank was empty. On Tuesday night Middlesbrough celebrated as if they had won.

It’s nothing we didn’t expect. We have to face up to it and the players must be big enough to take it. If we do under-perform, it has to be less than anyone else.

There has been criticism this season that we have loads of strikers yet I play just one up front. My answer to that is that it is antiquated nonsense. The reality is that I usually play three up, not one.

When we change it and play two up front and don’t score, as has been the case, no one seems to mention that.

No one has more knowledge and data at this football club than me. That’s fact. It’s not arrogance but it is self-confidence and there is an important difference.

I’m always learning, I never stop learning and that’s why I am confident. If I was arrogant I would be out of w**k now because I would have stopped listening in the misapprehension that I was already great.

This approach can be misconstrued as self-praise yet when a foreign coach comes here and says he is the ‘Special One’, the reaction is very different.

I do what I do for those players at West Ham. They are my priority. They are 95 per cent of my life, the rest revolves around other parts of the job and seeing the family.

The one thing about football, about life in general, is that if you don’t get the basics right, you don’t ­succeed.

We had a young chap in recently to talk to the players. He was a soldier in Afghanistan and lost the use of his arm after being shot. He emphasised that, if they don’t get their basics right out there, they could be dead.

One of the hardest jobs is to keep sight of the reality. It’s an emotional game and sometimes that results in people saying things they later regret. We’re all guilty of that.

There’s nothing to be negative about, though. Yes, we’re frustrated because, as I’ve said before, the players and me want to win games more than anyone. It’s our job, our responsibility.

Iam sorry BFS but that was finguck long ball against them on tuesday and has been for most of the season you Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff) 3725042725 and as for the state thing on the last 5 draws - I couldnt give two shits if we dominated the oppponent for 90mins the fACT IS WE DREW NOT WON FFS BFS AND ITS WINS WE NEED angry2
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 24 Mar 2012, 12:03 pm

Statistics back Hammers cause, so say the Official Site spin doctors

Statistic back the Hammers cause, so says the Official Site."West Ham have dominated opponents in all areas during the previous five draws. INDEPENDENT statistics show the Hammers have completed more passes, more shots on target, put more crosses in the penalty area and run further than Crystal Palace, Watford, Doncaster Rovers, Leeds United and Middlesbrough football clubs. Sam Allardyce's side have consistently outplayed the opposition and have done more than enough to win”.

You couldn't make it up could you? The article not only insults our intelligence regarding the game of football, but portrays Samuel Allardyce as deluded, arrogant and downright insulting towards everybody associated with West Ham United Football Club. It is also an indication of a manager under immense pressure clinging on to his job.

No amount of spinning from the Allardyce spindoctors will alter the fact that the quality of football has been dire in the extreme. The person solely responsible for these state of affairs is Samuel Allardyce, most certainly not the owners who've backed the manager to the hilt. I bet when they hear the fans say “what a waste of money” they must think "Tell me about it, buying the club and spending on transfers means we've paid £60 million to watch this crap".

I especially love the spin about pass completion rate and possession. God Liverpool used to have 70% pass rate and 65% possession in their golden years when I was growing up. They would pass the ball all around their half, rarely crossing the half way line. Admittedly the back pass rule to the goalkeeper was allowed then, but West Ham United Football Club 2012 do the same as Liverpool back then. Loads of possession in their own half going nowhere,

Even Noble has started to fall into the trap, taking the ball to the half way line, turning back and passing it to one of his team mates. No one is carrying the ball forward. After the inevitable twenty or so sideways or backpasses, either Green or the fullbacks will hoof the ball forward into no man's land. The one that really made me chuckle was the spin about having more final 'balls' into the opposition penalty area. Well when your final ball consists of Faye hoofing the ball into the opposition penalty area like a rugby flyhalf and the opposition are cutting in from the wings and playing dangerous balls into your penalty area, you don't need to be Ron Greenwood to be able to tell which teams final balls caused the most problems.

The stats about shots on target are also misleading. West Ham had 8 and Middlesbrough had 6, only two West Ham shots troubled the Boro keeper. Indeed West Ham's first shot on target was a tame shot from Cole after 24 mins. Middlesbrough almost scored three times in the last 20 minutes. Sorry Mr Allardyce, spin and stats convince nobody, not the owners, players or patrons of the Boleyn Ground. Time to hold your hands up "Yes this is not good enough , I’m going to be positive and turn things around" Failure to grasp reality will result in further setbacks on the field and no time at all your position will become untenable

Time to be positive! Be brave! Prove that you are a real managerial big beast, who can change his approach to the way he has traditionally set out his teams . Allardyce has been allowed to accumulate the best squad in the championship, It’s time to use it and trust them to play football the 'West Ham' way.

There is no need for Nolan when we are playing at the Boleyn Ground, no need for a holding midfielder either. Get players who are creative, play the ball to the strikers on the deck, with the midfield coming forward, playing one two's, so many options.

I’d like us to play something like this at home:

Green
    O'Brien Faye Tomkins Taylor
    Vaz Te Noble Morrison Lansbury
    Maynard Baldock

I'd have Taylor at Left Back in place of McCartney, Taylor has played left back wingback when Harry was in charge of Pompey with some success. He is a far better option than McCartney at left back, whose main attacking option is to hoof the ball into Thy Kingdom come. I'd have Vaz Te on the Right, Lansbury on the left with Morrison and Noble in the middle. Morrison can also play on the left so you could bring Lansbury to partner, Noble in centre midfield should you wish to change things later in the game

The great Joe Louis used to say “they can run but they can't hide.” Approach the Burnley game and all future games with a positive attitude and class will tell, the opposition won't be able to run or hide, but rolling out a list of meaningless stats is hiding from the truth.

The football has been poor, and we've being outplayed by the opposition too many times this season .Should we not get the required result tomorrow I’m afraid that Samuel Allardyce could also become a victim of stats. On the stats listing ex managers of West Ham United, let’s hope that’s not the case. We are more than a football club, we are a way of life! COYI'S!!!

Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 24 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm

More on stats from weloveyouwestham

The stats don't lie Mr Allardyce

Why BFS got angry with the Sky interview (and other stuff) Striker+stats

Big Sam likes to remind people about statistics all of the time, how much possession we have, chances we've created, crosses into oppositions box, blah blah blah. Well I have some stats of my own, which supports my theory from the beginning of the season. That it’s not the players that are at fault for us dropping points against too many teams.

Big Sam is forever blaming our players for not being clinical, even bringing in new faces to end the goal drought. This season HE signed Baldock, Maynard and Vaz Te (I am disregarding Carew). All proven goal scorers as 'THE STATS' suggest, so why are they not scoring I ask you Sam?

Well the answer is there for all to see Big Sam; your tactics simply aren't working! The only time we look like scoring is when the ball is played on the floor, which to be honest, isn't too often? 4 draws from the last four home games IS NOT good enough. Yes I’m one of the fans that would love to see us play 'the west ham way' with pretty football, but like most fans I will settle for promotion by any means possible.

The truth is unless Sam changes things soon, promotion IS NOT a certainty. He has to start recognizing and realising that the squad he has assembled isn't suited to route one football. He seems to be the only person who cannot see it. He seems puzzled by why fans are booing when he says 'we are still third place in the league,' but I’m sorry Sam, for how long cause the other teams are now making huge ground on us and fans pay a lot of money to watch our team, so they are fully entitled to vent their frustrations if they feel we are under-performing.

These tactics are the very reason he was booted out of Newcastle and they aren’t exactly doing too bad now are they? I know Mr Gold has stuck up for Sam in some of his tweets, because he knows HE HAS TO. The chairmen dare not play with fire this time around, at least until the season has finished anyway.

I have to give it to Gold and Sullivan and so should Sam, because they have shown great faith in him and backed him massively. I'm certain most of the other championship managers would be purring at the squad Sam has at his disposal.

West Ham is actually in the best position they have been for many years, although some will disagree of course. But come on, we have 2 chairman who are lifelong supporters and are ridding us of the debt and fiasco of the previous regime. They will continue to heavily invest in the club for the foreseeable future and potentially take us to the Olympic stadium, which will put our name on the world map undoubtedly, subsequently bringing in extra revenue.

The stadium not being everyone’s cup of tea but it would benefit the club in my opinion, although, I will be happy either way. None of this is possible without a top quality manager to go with it though and I’m not sure we have that. I think he is a good man manager but is tactically inept. He just cannot adapt his playing style, which is more suited to lower league football with all due respect. Then again, Di Canio is showing that you can play good football and take the league by storm?

I genuinely hate being negative when it comes to west ham, but it’s not aimed at the club itself, it's just so frustrating that we have all the right ingredients but they are being mixed up completely wrong by the chef, Mr Allardyce.

We are running out of games to rectify the problem, I just hope for the fans and club it does not derail our promotion bid we all crave so much. I could not bare to see another dream fade and die.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:56 pm