West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

4 posters

Interesting read from WHTID

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Interesting read from WHTID Empty Interesting read from WHTID

Post  Admin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 8:14 am

By: S J Chandos, WesthamtilIdie

News from the training ground is that Reid, Demel and Diop are fit, but on the down side is that Noble is likely to miss the two Easter fixtures with a leg injury. The availability of that trio is significant in my view. It will allow Sam Allardyce to bring strength and experience in to the side. Demel should add power and physical presence at right-back, e can reunite Reid with Tomkins at centre back and bring the massive influence and know how of Diop as the Midfield anchor. While, O'Neill, Lansbury and Collison will be competing start alongside Diop in central midfield.

Arguably, Diop has ben a unsung hero this season, whenever he has played (espcially away from home) we have had a greater coheson in midfield, where he has sat in front of the back four, shielding it, winning the ball and giving the forwards greater assurance to push forward on the attack. Is it co-incidence that our results have flat lined since he has been absent through injury? Certainly, Diop has power, strength, enormous physicality, as well as the experience to make a difference in the run in, and I am glad to see him available once again. Similarly Demel is another player that has been missed I am big fan of Demel and it is a great pity that he has not been able to contribute so far this season. His injury problems have meant that we have not been able to call upon his experience and ability on the right side of defence. Now would be perfect timing if the ex-Arsenal man could come in to the team and make the type of positive impact of whivch he is undoubtedly capable. Similarly, we were very unfortunate to lose Reid, to a serious head injury, whilst he was on international duty for NZ, in the fairly meaningless friendly match. Faye has been a very good replacement, but I feel that it might be time to reintroduce the Reid-Tomkins combnation at centre back.

After the Reading defeat, we need to shake things up in key positions and bring some new blood in to the set up. If they are fit and in reasonable form, which performances in the recent Developmental Squad victiory over a strong QPR XI would seem to indicate, then serious consideration must be given to the introduction of all three for Faubert, Faye and Noble. ONeill has performed well in central midfield against Reading FC and is probably favourite to line up alongside Diop in central midfield. However, Lansbury performed very effectively in the QPR match and could be an inspired choice. Lansbury, playing wise, has been kept on a fairly short leash and now ould be the time for him to explode in to life at first team level. Another player that could be promoted to the bench is Brian Montenegro-Martinez, who scored the winner against QPR. If we need an option on the bench to give us extra width, then it could be an option to include him. He also has the attractive attribute of scoring goals from out wide on the left. Is he ready? Give it a gamble, it might w**k in our favour to have an unknown option on the bench. Similarly, it will be interesting to see if Ravel Morrison can force himself in to first team contention at the business end of the season?

I liked the forward line against Reading FC, with Vaz Te on the right, Taylor on the left, Cole through the centre and Nolan playing in an advanced forward position, in close support. This formation has real possibilities and certainly should be retained for the Barnsley match. It means that Baldock and Maynard figure from the bench, hopefully to be introduced later in the match as the likes of Cole and Taylor tire. Our away tactics are not broken so we do not need to fix them! Lets go there, play it tight and play a strong counter-attacking game. Of course, Barnsley are not exactly in great form and it may be that we can dominate the match from the off and dominate play, if that is how it transpires so much the better.

What needs fixing is our approach at home and Allardyce will need to re-assess his tactics and selection against Birmingham City. Many fans will call for the introduction of a 4-4-2 against Birmingham, with either Maynard or Baldock partnering Cole up front. I think that it will depends how the Vaz Te, Cole and Taylor combination shapes up in the Barnsley match. With Nolan pushed forward in support of Cole, this formation has the potential to be a genuine 4-3-3, rather than a da facto 4-5-1. Perhaps against Birmingham City, Vaz Te could play on the left and we could introduce Baldock on the right hand side? There are obvious pros and cons for that, not least that it does not offer the same width and balance as a line up that includes Taylor on the left. The problem, as always, is that Birmingham City are likely to come to Upton Park and play 5 in midfield. It is a brave manager who does not match opposiion numbers in the centre of the park, but perhaps that is exactly what is needed bravery and attacking intent. Cancelling out Brum and playing out a draw is really of limited value to us, we must go for the win.

Key players need to start delivering. Nolan had good games against both Peterborough Utd and Reading FC and must continue to get forward and add to his 10 goal tally. Carlton Cole scored against Reading FC and that is a good sign. Cole tends to score his goal in batches and a mini burst of goal activity from him, at this crucial juncture, would be most welcome. Vaz Te is the only forward in good goal scoring form, he needs to continue that and, along with Taylor, offer us vital width. Taylor has had an njury disrupted season and he has not hit top form since his return. But he gives us balance on the left, can deliver a good ball into the box and has the potential to score from distance. And that is what we to see in in the next six matches, Taylor cracking home one or two with that outstanding left peg of his. Needless to say, Baldock and Maynard also need to find their shooting boots, when they get their chance they need deliver and start converting the chances that come their way.

Apparently, Kevin Nolan called a dressing room meeting with the players after the Reading FC match. We can only hope that it has helped hem sort out their heads and their attitudes. It is at the 11th hour and if we are stand any chance of capitalising on any slip ups by Reading or Southampton then we must gain victories.. Draws are of uncertain value, we might as well go for broke, not in a reckless way, but in a controlled but adventurous style. We have little to lose and everything to gain, but can Allardyce's side do it? We need some of the spirit of the great escape of 2006-07, we have the players, can they perform as required? One can only hope that they can and Allardyce encourages the type of expansive, passing football that we have seen in the last two matches. If Demel, Diop and Reid can help us tighten up defensively and we can sharpen up in front of goal, then it is possible. The loss of Mark Noble is a problem, but hopefully our other midfielders will now step up to the plate.

It is a word that I have used before this season, but we must be 'ruthless' in the final six games. We need to play with pace, discipline and clinical finishing. A late sprint to automatic promotion could happen and we need to approach it as if it will. Even if results do not go our way, and we cannot storm our way back in to the top two, we must build up some form and momentum for the play-offs. They are wiinable, but if that is our fate, then it is crucial that we enter them with good form, confidence goals and the will to win!

COYI!
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Interesting read from WHTID Empty Re: Interesting read from WHTID

Post  Jiggs Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:23 pm

I do like his enthusiasm and I wish I could find some for myself. Please give me some over the weekend West Ham.
    Nicki
    Nicki
    Academy

Post  Nicki Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

I do like the way that bloke writes. At least he doesn't go for the rampant knee jerk sack allardyce and everyone who works at the Boleyn ground.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:39 pm

I enjoy reading SJ,s bloggs , he,s clued up when it comes to WH he knows what he,s talking about .
    clap S J Chandos
    Nicki
    Nicki
    Academy

Post  Nicki Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:46 am

clap x 2
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:29 am