West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

4 posters

O,brien for Ireland

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

O,brien for Ireland Empty O,brien for Ireland

Post  Admin Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:13 am

Joey O'Brien has expressed his delight after receiving his first Republic of Ireland call-up in four years.

The versatile West Ham United defender or midfielder has battled back from a series of serious knee injuries to earn his place in Giovanni Trapattoni's squad for a friendly international with Serbia in Belgrade on 15 August.

For O'Brien, who made his Ireland debut against Sweden in March 2006, earned the last of his three senior caps in a UEFA European Championship qualifier against Cyprus in October 2007.

Unfortunately, a combination of injuries and frustration at a lack of playing time then saw O'Brien's opportunities limited, but he is now back in favour and hoping to start against Serbia and in next month's UEFA European Championship qualifier in Kazakhstan.

After such a long period in the international wilderness, the 26-year-old was naturally chuffed to bits with the news that he will be joining up with the Boys in Green again.

"It's been a long time and I've had a few sleepless nights. Comments I made in the past were taken out of context and weren't what I wanted to say because I love playing for my country. Hopefully I'll get the chance to do it."

O'Brien burst into the Bolton Wanderers first team as a teenager, earning six Republic of Ireland Under-21 caps before making his senior debut in Steve Staunton's first game in charge - a 3-0 win over Sweden.

The following year, 2007, the Dublin-born player helped Ireland hold Germany to a goalless draw in a UEFA European Championship qualifier in his home city.
    Sir Ian
    Sir Ian
    Academy

O,brien for Ireland Empty Re: O,brien for Ireland

Post  Sir Ian Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:17 am

pleased for him, at least he is irish for a change
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:18 am

Well done Joey clap
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:42 am

I`am Happy for him but also not happy with this news due to his history of injuries , the last thing we need is for him to pick up an injury playing in a silly friendly

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 4:27 pm