West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

2 posters

Hammers are special for Rio

Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Hammers are special for Rio Empty Hammers are special for Rio

Post  Campo Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:46 pm

Rio Ferdinand admits playing against West Ham is always a special occasion for him ahead of Wednesday's FA Cup replay at Old Trafford.

The cultured defender was in good form against Liverpool at the weekend and will hope to feature against his former club after sitting on the bench for the 2-2 draw at Upton Park.

With doubts over Nemanja Vidic and Jonny Evans' involvement, and the possibility that Rafael might be rested with the likely assignment of marking danger-man Gareth Bale against Tottenham this Sunday in mind, the 34-year-old may play at the heart of the back-four.

"West Ham is special for me," said the centre-back. "I look at West Ham as being a similar club to Manchester United in terms of their history and the way they keep all their people for so many years. Here, you see Cath on reception who has been here 30-odd years. It is similar at West Ham with Jimmy Frith and people like that. It is a club that is close to my heart because I came through the ranks there. I look out for their results, after Manchester United's results. I am sure it will always be that way."

Ferdinand is one of a number of players to learn their trade with the East Londoners and is pleased to see Joe Cole return to his old stamping ground, even if he hopes he does not impress in the replay.

"That will be part of West Ham's history forever now, the era we had there, with so many players who went on to play for England and win league titles with other clubs," stated Ferdinand. "It is unfortunate for West Ham that those players did not stay there and get built upon. That is all history now. Joe Cole has gone there to rewrite a bit of his own history in the coming months. It would be good to see him do something good, but not on Wednesday. We want to get through this round."

When asked if there would be a hole in his medal cabinet if he fails to win the FA Cup, he replied: "I don't know. I will only be able to tell you when I retire. It is something I would love to rectify and change. What will be will be. Fingers crossed, we will win it this year."
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Hammers are special for Rio Empty Re: Hammers are special for Rio

Post  Charlie Ham Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:08 pm

Yes, we should be regarded as a special case.

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 7:21 pm