West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+2
Campo
Tony P
6 posters

The greatest try ever scored ?

Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

The greatest try ever scored ? Empty The greatest try ever scored ?

Post  Tony P Sat 26 Jan 2013, 11:49 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sadly I am old enough to remember this. The only thing that may not qualify it as the "greatest ever try" IMO is that it was a Barbarians game and as such is a showpiece - Harlem Globetrotters type - game

Still a cracking try from inside their own 22 though
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

The greatest try ever scored ? Empty Re: The greatest try ever scored ?

Post  Campo Sat 26 Jan 2013, 1:02 pm

I aint no rugby guru but that was like watching Barca with an egg , very quick hands and passing
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:58 am

Did this on fb earlier. Even some of my Scandy mates thought it was glorious. Like you Tony I remember it, watching it live on Grandstand actually, & it probably played a big part on Rugby Union being my 2nd favourite team sport. Those Phil Bennett sidesteps, sublime, & look how 'normal' some of the backs look with their build. Mike Slemen gave me hope as a skinny kid (until I got my arm broke playing rugby in Games!).
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Sun 27 Jan 2013, 8:26 pm

Don't really agree with you about it being a 'Harlam globetrotters' type game. having watched the baa baas several times over the last 40 years against the all blacks, the springboks and the convicts, none of those sides wants to lose when on tour over here, and even more so against an 'invitation' side. Rugby union was my game of choice as a player from and early age until I was 41, and the try in 1973 that you are talking about was definitely the greatest try ever, incredible skill against what was the best side in the world at the time. jawdrop
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:00 pm

Still are Motty!
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:27 pm

mottinghammer wrote:Don't really agree with you about it being a 'Harlam globetrotters' type game. having watched the baa baas several times over the last 40 years against the all blacks, the springboks and the convicts, none of those sides wants to lose when on tour over here, and even more so against an 'invitation' side. Rugby union was my game of choice as a player from and early age until I was 41, and the try in 1973 that you are talking about was definitely the greatest try ever, incredible skill against what was the best side in the world at the time. jawdrop

While I bow to your superior knowledge of rugby union Motty, my question is - "would a side run the ball from inside their own 22, taking the risks that the Ba-Ba's did in that move, if it were in a World Cup, 6 nations or tri-nations game?". That is what I meant by the "Harlem Globetrotters" reference. The game had no significance other than a "show game". Nobody was going to lose a vital game or lose their job if that move had been intercepted and a try scored against them

Still a bloody good try though
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Sun 27 Jan 2013, 9:55 pm

I use the Harlem globetrotter reference when Swedes try to gloat about Zlatan's goal v England last year. It does wind them up!
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:07 pm

manurewa hammer wrote:Still are Motty!

nah, not after we dumped you at Twickenham recently Laughing not a bnad side though, but aging fast, we'll see how good you are in 2015 finger
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:09 pm

Tony P wrote:
    mottinghammer wrote:Don't really agree with you about it being a 'Harlam globetrotters' type game. having watched the baa baas several times over the last 40 years against the all blacks, the springboks and the convicts, none of those sides wants to lose when on tour over here, and even more so against an 'invitation' side. Rugby union was my game of choice as a player from and early age until I was 41, and the try in 1973 that you are talking about was definitely the greatest try ever, incredible skill against what was the best side in the world at the time. jawdrop

While I bow to your superior knowledge of rugby union Motty, my question is - "would a side run the ball from inside their own 22, taking the risks that the Ba-Ba's did in that move, if it were in a World Cup, 6 nations or tri-nations game?". That is what I meant by the "Harlem Globetrotters" reference. The game had no significance other than a "show game". Nobody was going to lose a vital game or lose their job if that move had been intercepted and a try scored against them

Still a bloody good try though

I see where uyou are coming from and no in todays game they wouldn't even contemplate it, but its was a different game in 1973, just look at the body shapes of the players, most of them wouldn't get near top class professional rugby to day as they are to small.
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:34 am

mottinghammer wrote:
    manurewa hammer wrote:Still are Motty!

nah, not after we dumped you at Twickenham recently Laughing not a bnad side though, but aging fast, we'll see how good you are in 2015 finger
    We will be just as good if not better than in 2011.The production line just keeps rolling on. Oh, and don't be deceived by Englands win, good performance tho it was.! Smile
    Stevenage Dave
    Stevenage Dave
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Stevenage Dave Fri 01 Feb 2013, 7:51 pm

The "body shapes" comment doesn't wash, because those guys were amateurs.

The reason (IMHO) it was a great try was the mixture of individual skills and team skills that would make a great goal in football at any time too. That match and (dare I say it) the Chelsea - Leeds fa cup replay were highlights of my youth - catch that 1970 game if you get a chance; today's players would be in tears after 15 minutes...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 6:55 am