West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+8
Campo
IronDane
Kray JR
Jiggs
Hungry Hammer 66
westhamonkey
Charlie Ham
Admin
12 posters

West Ham United FC V Newcastle

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

West Ham United FC V Newcastle  Empty West Ham United FC V Newcastle

Post  Admin Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:27 pm

West Ham United FC V Newcastle  WESTHAMvNEWCASTLEhEADER_zpsa398d361West Ham United FC V Newcastle  FatSamVNwcastle_zps22384e50

West Ham will be hoping to build on last weekend's 2-0 victory over Cardiff when Sam Allardyce's side play host to Newcastle on Saturday at Upton Park.
    The Hammers will be looking to improve their home form when they face Newcastle as they are without a win in their four previous home games and have only picked up five points in their last 11 home matches.
    West Ham are currently in 17th position and are level on points with Cardiff, who occupy the third relegation spot.
    Newcastle are without a victory in three successive games and have not won since Boxing Day, scoring one goal in the process.
    Alan Pardew's side are eight points off the Europa League spots so if they are to have European ambitions it is crucial that they return to the north east with maximum points.
    Newcastle's last victory at Upton Park came in 2010 when two current West Ham players scored for them in the shape of Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll.
    Paul Merson's prediction:
    West Ham had a massive win last week, as big as it gets. How many times do you see Big Sam jumping up and down on the touchline? Not often. That shows how big it was.
    Newcastle were hard done by with a referee who had a nightmare last Sunday and he should probably be reffing my Sunday League game this weekend until he learns the rules of football again. I think Newcastle are a decent team when they get their best players on the pitch and I think they will go there and win.
    PAUL PREDICTS: 1-2
    West Ham United FC V Newcastle  TextWHVNewc_zps00b73dc0
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

West Ham United FC V Newcastle  Empty Re: West Ham United FC V Newcastle

Post  Charlie Ham Fri 17 Jan 2014, 7:51 pm

Make or break game.
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:15 am

big big game... fortunately NBC has sorted their shit out and put the game(s) back on TV so I can record it and watch later as I gotta be out early tomorrow.

we need to win this - everyone knows this, unfortunately so do Newcastle (and they need a win too)
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Hungry Hammer 66 Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:23 am

Heading up to Dub to watch the game with The Dublin Hammers,
    Can't really call this, all 3 results possible,
    COYI's
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 18 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

Will be setting out myself soon. I agree with HH66, with no premonitions on the outcome.

COYI   West Ham United FC V Newcastle  1343512671
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

Shocking defending yet again
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

0-2, crap defending..
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:38 pm

I just can not be arsed with this shower of shit anymore
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:52 pm

Defence is a joke but now we have a life line COYI
    RichB
    RichB
    Boot Cleaner

Post  RichB Sat 18 Jan 2014, 4:23 pm

Well now it's two up front with Carroll & Cole and Morrison in midfield... COYI
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sat 18 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm

Put up a bit of a fight in the second but it just was,nt good enuff , two open goals that should of been put away . Certainly looked better with two up front so how about it at home Sam .......... one up front at home dont rock my boat
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sat 18 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm

I dont think two upfront can save us now, our defence is shocking.

Sam will come out and bleat on about all the injuries we have but if he had spent more wisely or used the odd young defender to give them experience throughout the season he would have more options.

Instead he would rather go through a season with experienced past it so called pros playing out of position and hoping we could nick enough wins to stay up.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sat 18 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm

Charlie Ham wrote:Make or break game.

We broke
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:46 pm

Kray JR wrote:I dont think two upfront can save us now, our defence is shocking.

Sam will come out and bleat on about all the injuries we have but if he had spent more wisely or used the odd young defender to give them experience throughout the season he would have more options.

Instead he would rather go through a season with experienced past it so called pros playing out of position and hoping we could nick enough wins to stay up.
    Especially when one of them is Carlton fookin Cole ........ Me and Abbi were two feet off the ground, arms raised shouting Yeeeeeeeees!!!! seconds before he missed again today.   West Ham United FC V Newcastle  2723394577
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:24 am

I don't think that the defence is necessarily the biggest problem. They are continually exposed by a weak, small, ineffective, slow and in one case, lethargic midfield who offer NO protection to the back four whatsoever. If Sam really thought that a central midfield pairing of Noble and Collison, supported, when he felt like it, by a totally disinterested Diame was effective then I have to question him massively.

Noble - yes he gives his all etc etc but he chases players around like a kid in a playground would. He, like the others, would have been told who "their man" was. So stick with him, do YOUR job and don't try and do everyone else's job for them. From how we lined up it seemed to me that Noble was supposed to be marking Johan Cabaye. He got nowhere near him all afternoon. Add into this Noble's lack of height and pace it compounds the problem.

Collison - I see NOTHING that Jack Collison brings to the team. Weak, poor in the air, no tackling ability whatsoever and no pace. Whatever Jack had before his injury has now gone and he is no better than most of the Championship midfield players out there. If he gives us nothing defensively and nothing going forward then why on earth is he playing - particularly against a technical, mobile midfield like Newcastle's?

Diame - the one midfield player we have that has height, pace and power was played in the No.10 role yesterday and yet again looked totally disinterested.

Jarvis/Rat combination - this was totally hopeless yesterday. Jarvis like so many of our side is weak, poor in the air and afraid to get stuck in. Rat is an average defender at best and is clearly better going forward than the other way. Combine those two and Sissoko had a field day yesterday. Given the freedom of Upton Park to cross for Remy for their second. James Collins had to leave his position in the centre to come out to Sissoko as Jarvis and Rat were not even in the frame!

Taylor/Downing combination - considering Taylor was asked to play right back and has probably never played there in the PL I thought he was excellent and my MoM. Not Carlton Cole! Add into that Downing's willingness to get back and support him it was an effective combination

So what alternatives do we have for our midfield?

Joe Cole - no different to Matt Jarvis defensively. Both are poor. However Jarvis has the edge with his pace and crossing ability. So could Joe Cole have played in the centre instead of Collison? Maybe. But IMO Ravel Morrison is a better option. Joe's legs are not what they were

Alou Diarra - captained France at the World Cup in 2010 as a HOLDING MIDFIELD PLAYER. Not quick granted, but positionally very good. He is powerful and good in the air. Why is he sitting on the bench? He is exactly the type of player we need shielding the back four. Collison is not. I can only think that there is an ego power battle between Diarra and Allardyce which is preventing him playing. Remember BFS is the manager who bought an aging Hierro and Campo to Bolton and they were both revelations. Diarra is the same type of player. Something is very wrong there

Ravel Morrison - mercurial. Like Collison will not give you much defensively but, unlike Collison or Noble, this can be balanced by what he gives you going the other way. If you have a talent like Ravel then make sure the rest of the midfield is solid enough to plug the holes he may leave ie GET A PROPER HOLDING MIDFIELD PLAYER IN THE MIDDLE

What is clear is that when we come up against any side with a mobile, technical midfield it is like a knife through butter. It's even worse when they have power too. Our central midfield - in some cases through no fault of their own - is not quick, strong enough or technically good enough to cope. Consequently our back four are continually exposed and have to get blocks in etc to keep the score down

So my question to BFS surrounds his team selection yesterday. After the first 10 mins or so our central midfield was clearly being out run and outmuscled by Newcastle's midfield. Collison was a passenger. Noble was often outnumbered by 2 or 3 midfield players which left Cabaye to have an absolute field day. Diame was totally disinterested. Jarvis and Rat were a disaster.

Allardyce keeps going on about our lack of striking options and our defensive injuries. While they have been valid concerns it is our central midfield which is causing our problems right now

SORT IT OUT SAM
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sun 19 Jan 2014, 12:58 pm

Very well written piece tony, and whilst I old watched the MOTD high lights yesterday and most Saturdays, it's certainly the impression I get. When you compare how lambert at villa and pardew at Newcastle are slowly, and on a budget, building quick and technical (and in newcastles case, French) sides compared to our team and squad then it's certainly very down heartening. I watched MOTD yesterday and whereas I accept the fact I support a team with a small budget only recently promoted, I found myself guilty wishing I was a saints, Newcastle or villa fan. I just like what there managers are trying to build/ achieve. I was, and am, all for Sam getting us promoted and stabilising us, but long term no. Just no. The MOTD commentator made a point about rat bing lazy on the commentary and how Collins had to go over to cover him for their goal.

if Sam can't get his players to graft and grind out wins that what's he there for.

Ps, was there the protest at yesterday's match? The commentator spoke of an agitated crowd, specially after newcadtles second which would have been about the time of a planned protest?
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 19 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

alfiehammer wrote:Very well written piece tony, and whilst I old watched the MOTD high lights yesterday and most Saturdays, it's certainly the impression I get. When you compare how lambert at villa and pardew at Newcastle are slowly, and on a budget, building quick and technical (and in newcastles case, French) sides compared to our team and squad then it's certainly very down heartening. I watched MOTD yesterday and whereas I accept the fact I support a team with a small budget only recently promoted, I found myself guilty wishing I was a saints, Newcastle or villa fan. I just like what there managers are trying to build/ achieve. I was, and am, all for Sam getting us promoted and stabilising us, but long term no. Just no. The MOTD commentator made a point about rat bing lazy on the commentary and how Collins had to go over to cover him for their goal.

if Sam can't get his players to graft and grind out wins that what's he there for.

Ps, was there the protest at yesterday's match? The commentator spoke of an agitated crowd, specially after newcadtles second which would have been about the time of a planned protest?

I never saw or heard it mate. There was the inevitable booing after the second goal; not just because it put them 2-0 up but, I suspect, because they could and should have been 4-0 up by then
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Sun 19 Jan 2014, 2:40 pm

Well written Tony, just read this and the only part I have a disagreement with is Collison. Knew he would have been taken off at half time but thought it should have been Diame.

He is a little run down on our present squad as I see it:

Adrian: Early days for him so have not made up my mind if he is premiership or not.

Jaaskelainen: Too old and needs to leave.

Rat: Too old, passing is poor. Not good enough for the premiership.

Collins: Good lower half premiership player.

Johnson: Being kind saying he not up to premiership standard.

Taylor: Not a bad second half considering playing well out of position but he’s a Championship player.

Downing: A top half premiership player.

Collison: Championship player.

Noble:  At best a bottom third premiership player. Needs others around him who know what to do.

Diame: Always seems to be caught in possession. Does not want to know for us and should be sold on.

Jarvis: Just a waste of space and money for us. Championship player.

Cole: Just a waste of space. Championship player.

Morrison:  Good young player who should go on to do well in the premiership with another team.

Carroll: Rusty at the moment but a good upper half premiership payer.

Reid: Good upper half premiership player.

Tomkins: Really disappointed with him. Just seems to give up. Championship player.

McCartney: Over the top now. Too old for the premiership.

Maiga: Needs a change of club.

Vaz Te: Championship player.

O’Brien: like him but he’s a championship player.

Diarra: Not seen a lot of him. Too old now for the premiership.

Demel: Too old for the premiership.

J.Cole: Did not want him back. Too old now and not good enough for the premiership. Just came here to retire.

Don’t know a lot about the younger players but above is our current mature squad and out of them only 5 are good enough for the premiership and a couple of those could be questionable. Now take this squad and put Allardyce in, a manager who only knows one way to play and you have one big major problem. Now take this and add the Dave’s to the equation, people who are trying to do thing on the cheap. Talking things up all the time but doing very little in the transfer market to help and you have a recipe to go down.  

Administration if we go down anyone?
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Hungry Hammer 66 Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:07 pm

Tony P wrote:I don't think that the defence is necessarily the biggest problem. They are continually exposed by a weak, small, ineffective, slow and in one case, lethargic midfield who offer NO protection to the back four whatsoever. If Sam really thought that a central midfield pairing of Noble and Collison, supported, when he felt like it, by a totally disinterested Diame was effective then I have to question him massively.

Noble - yes he gives his all etc etc but he chases players around like a kid in a playground would. He, like the others, would have been told who "their man" was. So stick with him, do YOUR job and don't try and do everyone else's job for them. From how we lined up it seemed to me that Noble was supposed to be marking Johan Cabaye. He got nowhere near him all afternoon. Add into this Noble's lack of height and pace it compounds the problem.

Collison - I see NOTHING that Jack Collison brings to the team. Weak, poor in the air, no tackling ability whatsoever and no pace. Whatever Jack had before his injury has now gone and he is no better than most of the Championship midfield players out there. If he gives us nothing defensively and nothing going forward then why on earth is he playing - particularly against a technical, mobile midfield like Newcastle's?

Diame - the one midfield player we have that has height, pace and power was played in the No.10 role yesterday and yet again looked totally disinterested.

Jarvis/Rat combination - this was totally hopeless yesterday. Jarvis like so many of our side is weak, poor in the air and afraid to get stuck in. Rat is an average defender at best and is clearly better going forward than the other way. Combine those two and Sissoko had a field day yesterday. Given the freedom of Upton Park to cross for Remy for their second. James Collins had to leave his position in the centre to come out to Sissoko as Jarvis and Rat were not even in the frame!

Taylor/Downing combination - considering Taylor was asked to play right back and has probably never played there in the PL I thought he was excellent and my MoM. Not Carlton Cole! Add into that Downing's willingness to get back and support him it was an effective combination

Joe Cole - no different to Matt Jarvis defensively. Both are poor. However Jarvis has the edge with his pace and crossing ability. So could Joe Cole have played in the centre instead of Collison? Maybe. But IMO Ravel Morrison is a better option. Joe's legs are not what they were

Alou Diarra - captained France at the World Cup in 2010 as a HOLDING MIDFIELD PLAYER. Not quick granted, but positionally very good. He is powerful and good in the air. Why is he sitting on the bench? He is exactly the type of player we need shielding the back four. Collison is not. I can only think that there is an ego power battle between Diarra and Allardyce which is preventing him playing. Remember BFS is the manager who bought an aging Hierro and Campo to Bolton and they were both revelations. Diarra is the same type of player. Something is very wrong there

Ravel Morrison - mercurial. Like Collison will not give you much defensively but, unlike Collison or Noble,  this can be balanced by what he gives you going the other way. If you have a talent like Ravel then make sure the rest of the midfield is solid enough to plug the holes he may leave ie GET A PROPER HOLDING MIDFIELD PLAYER IN THE MIDDLE

What is clear is that when we come up against any side with a mobile, technical midfield it is like a knife through butter. It's even worse when they have power too. Our central midfield - in some cases through no fault of their own - is not quick, strong enough or technically good enough to cope. Consequently our back four are continually exposed and have to get blocks in etc to keep the score down

So my question to BFS surrounds his team selection yesterday. After the first 10 mins or so our central midfield was clearly being out run and outmuscled by Newcastle's midfield. Collison was a passenger. Noble was often outnumbered by 2 or 3 midfield players which left Cabaye to have an absolute field day. Diame was totally disinterested. Jarvis and Rat were a disaster.

Allardyce keeps going on about our lack of striking options and our defensive injuries. While they have been valid concerns it is our central midfield which is causing our problems right now

SORT IT OUT SAM

Mate, I completely concur, midfield is lightweight and devoid of players with any real class and vision going forward, or grit, steel and organisation when defending and I feel  this is because Fat Sham doesn't see midfield  as important due to his antiquated outdated  skyball style of play which is obsolete in the premiere league and modern game and sees us stagnating in the past and in a relegation place and I'm sorry but I've been saying it from post 1, I can't stand the man  and what he has done and is doing to our West Ham and hope he chokes on his chewing gum and if The Dave's are true fans of our club like they keep telling us and that the board are as astute at running football clubs like they've told us they are then they have to admit they have got it completely wrong and start putting right all the feck ups they and their managers have made in our name,
    WHTID
    Irons In The Soul
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

Tony P wrote:I don't think that the defence is necessarily the biggest problem. They are continually exposed by a weak, small, ineffective, slow and in one case, lethargic midfield who offer NO protection to the back four whatsoever. If Sam really thought that a central midfield pairing of Noble and Collison, supported, when he felt like it, by a totally disinterested Diame was effective then I have to question him massively.

Ravel Morrison - mercurial. Like Collison will not give you much defensively but, unlike Collison or Noble,  this can be balanced by what he gives you going the other way. If you have a talent like Ravel then make sure the rest of the midfield is solid enough to plug the holes he may leave ie GET A PROPER HOLDING MIDFIELD PLAYER IN THE MIDDLE

SORT IT OUT SAM

Quality piece Tone.

If only Sam could read that....then again even if he could he probably wouldn't bother and just come out with some crap about sports science. Surely a highly paid manager should be able to break down his players like you have above then pick his defence, decide which midfielders work best defensively and offensively with those defenders, throw in a forward or two and there's your starting 11.

Is he too stubborn or just not good enough to realise the players faults ?
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:48 pm

He aint just stubborn Daz, He's arrogant too.  He's never liked our fans, because they dared to offer suggestions from the terraces on how to play football.

That is a great piece tony, well said. Would BFS take that sort of advise on-board?  He'd look a right minge if he did and the team started to get results wouldn't he?  Also as HH66 says,  why bother with a decent midfield, if you are just going to bypass it.

It's his way, or no way, and it's really getting on my tits now. For what he's done to our team, I hope his ear'oles turn to arse'oles and shit all over his shoulders.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Mon 20 Jan 2014, 4:26 pm

Cant argue with that Mr P
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Mon 20 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm

Jiggs said:  For what he's done to our team, I hope his ear'oles turn to arse'oles and shit all over his shoulders.

Well said Jiggs.  muttley
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:34 pm

Same as the Arsenal game - if you take your chances, you score goals and get points. Against Arsenal, we were 1-0 up and missed three gilt-edged chances to wrap it up. Cole and Carroll did the same on Saturday. Carroll's was surely down to rustiness and he has shown enough in his two cameos to suggest that we will profit from his return.

I agree with Tony that Taylor played well at right-back, given the circumstances, and linked up very well with Downing, no more so than when he broke away to set up Cole's chance - what a delicious ball across that was, with his weaker foot too. I like Taylor, always have done, and just think it's a shame we didn't sign him five years earlier. However, he was caught under the flight of the ball for what proved to be a costly second goal. Although, with Collins pulled out wide by the negligence of Rat (who was simply awful on Saturday), surely Remy was Johnson's man? Noble was our Man of the Match, for me.

For tomorrow night, I would go with:

Adrian
    Chambers, Tomkins, Collins, Rat
    Diarra, Noble
    Downing, Nolan, J.Cole
    C.Cole

Subs: Jaaskelainen, Johnson, Taylor, Diame, Morrison, Jarvis, Carroll.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:44 pm

I can't award MoM to Noble mainly due to how poor the centre of our midfield was on Saturday. He was not only part of that but was captain. Yohan Cabaye was his man and he had the freedom of UP all afternoon

Watch the second goal. Noble is running with Cabaye but chooses to leave him and chase the ball when we already had three players around one of theirs. That left Cabaye free to drift in unmarked

Noble has to learn to be disciplined enough to track the man he has been designated to mark and NOT to chase the ball like a kid in a playground

He was not the only guilty one by any means but I don't expect much more from Collison and Diame TBH

Matt Taylor still my MoM

My starting 11 for tomorrow night

Jussi (needs to retain match sharpness)
    O'Brien Tomkins Johnson Rat
    Downing Diarra Noble J Cole
    Nolan
    C Cole

Subs: Adrian, Collins (coming back from injury), Jarvis, Carroll, Vaz Te (if fit), Chambers, Taylor (needs a rest)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 8:57 am