West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+4
SemiOldIron
Charlie Ham
Admin
daib0
8 posters

Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...

daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...  Empty Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...

Post  daib0 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:06 pm

Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...

Jose Mourinho: Chelsea boss says West Ham's style is '19th century'

Jose Mourinho accused West Ham of playing "19th-century football", after his Chelsea side were held 0-0 in Wednesday's league encounter. The Blues had 39 efforts on goal, while the visitors only managed one, having spent most of the match defending.

"This is not the best league in the world, this is football from the 19th century," said Mourinho. "The only [other] thing I could bring was a Black and Decker [tool] to destroy the wall."

Despite the numerous attempts, the Blues managed only nine on target. Hammers keeper Adrian made three good saves from John Terry, Samuel Eto'o and Frank Lampard. Brazil midfielder Oscar and substitute striker Demba Ba were also denied by the woodwork. West Ham's only effort on goal was when James Tomkins's header was comfortably dealt with by Petr Cech. They should have made the Blues keeper work again moments later, but Andy Carroll failed to connect with Stewart Downing's delivery from eight yards out.

"It's very difficult to play a football match where only one team wants to play. It's very difficult," added Mourinho, whose side are now three points behind league leaders Manchester City after they won 5-1 at Tottenham.  "A football match is about two teams playing and this match was only one team playing and another team not playing. I told Big Sam [West Ham manager Allardyce] and I repeat my words: they need points and, because they need points, to come here and play the way they did, is it acceptable? Maybe, yes. I cannot be too critical, because if I was in his position I don't know if I would do the same. Maybe."

Allardyce, whose side remain in the bottom three but recorded only their second clean sheet in 11 matches, hit back at Mourinho's comments.
    "He can't take it, can he? He can't take it because we've outwitted him - he just can't cope," said the Hammers boss.
    "He can tell me all he wants, I don't care. I love to see Chelsea players moaning at the referee, trying to intimidate him, Jose jumping up and down saying we play rubbish football. It's brilliant when you get a result against him. Hard luck, Jose."

Allardyce also praised his team's defensive performance, with his team having conceded 17 goals in their previous five fixtures going into Wednesday's match.
    "Tactically we got it right in two areas particularly: one was in stopping [Eden] Hazard, Oscar and Willian and [Samuel] Eto'o scoring goals; and the other one was stopping them scoring from set plays. We did a fantastic job."

Cummon José, why don't you just accept that Chelsea weren't good enough to score?!  Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...  1290824782  

Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...  3162320136
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...  Empty Re: Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...

Post  Admin Thu 30 Jan 2014, 4:41 pm

And that is why I cant stand the prick
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Thu 30 Jan 2014, 5:30 pm

muttley
    SemiOldIron
    SemiOldIron
    Academy

Post  SemiOldIron Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:20 pm

Thirty-nine attempts on goal and they couldn't score?? No wonder he wanted to talk about West Ham's performance and not his own - chuck in some colourful phrases to give the hacks something to use, and the papers won't be headlining "Toothless Chelsea performance".

BFS clearly loved it, didn't he...... Just what we needed, before we can start winning we had to stop losing, and we did.
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Fri 31 Jan 2014, 11:43 am

Chelsea boss wrong on 19th-Century football

Although not specifically any team in particular I think this article sums up a lot of good points that WOULD have affected us in the 19th century ...

BBC Sport

Jose Mourinho is an intelligent and articulate man and a talented manager, but he is not a historian. He said West Ham played "football from the 19th Century" after the Hammers' defensive approach secured a 0-0 draw on Wednesday. Mourinho's remarks were clearly meant more as a general slur alluding to the dark, unenlightened pre-Premier League days of English football than an accurate comparison to the game's Victorian past. But he might be interested to know that 19th-Century football was actually characterised as much by attacking and sportsmanship as by dour, defensive play.

How did a 19th-Century football team play? Well, it varied. It depended on what sort of team it was and at what point in the 19th century. From the foundation of the Football Association in 1863 to the early 1880s, British football at the highest level was dominated by teams of gentleman amateurs, many of whom had learnt the game at public school and university.

Football in this period was a game to be played rather than watched. Players dribbled up the field until they lost the ball. Team-mates would back the dribbler up and then continue to try to move the ball to the opponents' goal. But they were not there to be passed to.

When an England colleague in the 1877 match against Scotland complained to the Hon Alfred Lyttleton that his dribbling was excessive, and that he was not passing to team-mates in space, Lyttleton is said to have replied: "I am playing purely for my own pleasure, Sir!"

As football became more popular, and spread to the working classes, the passing game gradually replaced the dribbling game. Teams from Scotland and the north of England were influential in developing a new style of play based on passing combinations.

In the 1883 FA Cup final, Blackburn Olympic perplexed the Old Etonians by hitting long cross-field passes from wing to wing. They had also caused a stir by preparing for the match at a training camp in Blackpool, something that shocked the Etonians and their supporters.

Olympic won 2-1, took the cup north for the first time and changed the game forever. Professionalism was legalised in England in 1885. The best clubs became businesses and from 1888 began to compete in the Football League. Spectators and the press wanted to see good play but increasingly they also demanded a winning team.

A picture from 1885, the year the Football Association formally legalised professional football. Three years later a league was formed -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

How defensive were these teams? During the 1870s, it was not unusual for teams to line up with six or seven forwards. Their main priority was to attack, with defending left predominantly to two backs.

Over time, many teams chose to move one of their centre-forwards into a deeper position. This became the centre-half, who was to be the pivotal figure in a 2-3-5 formation - the so-called 'pyramid' system - that became standard from the late 1880s.

Some traditionalists bemoaned the move away from all-out attack. One Scottish writer condemned those clubs who kept two defenders close to their own goal merely, he suggested acerbically, "to keep the goalkeeper in chat". Another team from Ayrshire was reproached for only attacking with nine men.

Defensive tactics such as the 'one-back game', in which a full-back would drop into a deep defensive position to limit long forward passing, were considered unattractive and even unsportsmanlike. But they were defended by club directors and officials, such as Blackburn's John Lewis, who reminded critics that the main objective of league clubs was to win rather than please the spectator. And even the so-called 'defensive' teams, we should remember, were generally playing with five forwards.

Football in the 19th century was also characterised by a moral code - often associated with amateurism - that decried cheating or even play that was contrary to the spirit of the game.

The famous Corinthian club, for instance, opposed the penalty kick when it was introduced in 1891, and are said to have actively resisted the new law by deliberately shooting wide when they were given a penalty and withdrawing their goalkeeper if one was conceded.

That is not to say gamesmanship and time-wasting did not take place, of course. It almost certainly did. But football in the 19th Century was varied and complex and changed over time.

The best teams were described as "scientific". Being scientific was not only about being skilled and technically proficient but also about employing successful strategies and tactics.

Preston North End's team from 1888-89 went through the whole of the season unbeaten  -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The first great football tactician was William Suddell, manager of the Preston 'Invincibles' who won the first league and cup double in 1889. He used a blackboard, and sometimes chess pieces on a billiard table, to devise tactics and communicate them to his players. The Preston team were known for their systematic style of play - not particularly fast but methodical and consistent. They were described as "machine like… in working the ball along the ground" during a match in 1885.

In the 1889 FA Cup final, the Wolves forwards were characterised by their "very hard and determined play", whereas the Preston team "plodded away with a distinct system", and ended up winning 3-0.  As a manager synonymous with pragmatism in the way he strives for success on the field, Mourinho would surely have approved of that.

Professor Taylor is a historian at De Montfort University's International Centre for Sports History and Culture and also an author of sports history books.
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Fri 31 Jan 2014, 11:54 am

Jose Mourinho's sour grapes ...  4TOBNLm
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Fri 31 Jan 2014, 1:56 pm

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has labelled Premier League rivals Arsenal ‘boring’ after securing a 0-0 draw at the Emirates on Monday.

In the eyes of many pundits, Mourinho set a defensive stall for the heavyweight clash of London rivals, earning the ire of the home crowd who sent out the chant of ‘Boring, boring Chelsea’.

But Mourinho responded by claiming that it was the Gunners who failed to entertain their own fans.

“I think boring is a team that plays at home and cannot score a goal. That's boring,” Mourinho said.
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Tue 04 Feb 2014, 6:37 am

He is a complete clown!
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 5:33 pm

manurewa hammer wrote:He is a complete clown!

Well I don't understand the guy - he says this today in BBC Sport:

Chelsea are not contenders to win the Premier League this season, says Jose Mourinho after his side beat Manchester City.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:59 pm

daib0 wrote:

Chelsea are not contenders to win the Premier League this season, says Jose Mourinho after his side beat Manchester City.

Erm.........mind games per chance ?!
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:05 pm

Tony P wrote:
    daib0 wrote:

Erm.........mind games per chance ?!

but I think he's confusing himself!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 3:31 am