West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+12
Sir Ian
Johnny K
Chas Hammer
JulianDicksLeftKnee
Campo
Arran H
Jiggs
daib0
Suzanne Claret
SemiOldIron
IronDane
Admin
16 posters

West Ham United FC v Aston Villa

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

West Ham United FC v Aston Villa Empty West Ham United FC v Aston Villa

Post  Admin Sat 11 Aug 2012, 11:39 am

West Ham United FC v Aston Villa 367 West Ham United FC v Aston VillaWest Ham United FC v Aston Villa 238

Barclays Premier League
    Venue: Upton Park
    Date: Saturday, 18 August

TEAM NEWS
    West Ham will hand a second debut to centre-back James Collins but Jack Collison is out with a knee problem.

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce has revealed new signings Modibo Maiga and Alou Diarra are not yet fit enough to start.

Mark Lawrenson Football Analyst "Looking at the prospects of the newly-promoted teams, It is a big ask for any of them to stay up but I can't help but feel that West Ham are in the best shape, if only because they have Sam Allardyce in charge."

MATCH PREVIEW

West Ham's return to the Premier League takes place within the shadow of the Olympic Stadium, fresh from all the excitement, euphoria and global attention of the London Games over last few weeks. The Olympic Stadium could well be West Ham's future new home if the Hammers board get their way but their first priority above anything else this season must be to stay up.

“The Olympic Stadium could well be West Ham's future new home... but their first priority above anything else must be to stay up this season”

To do this the Hammers are going to have to w**k on their home form, which was a patchy last season despite their eventual promotion. The fans also need to unite behind Sam Allardyce. Some may not like his methods but he is a man who knows what the Premier League is all about, knows how to fire up a newly-promoted side and most importantly knows how to keep clubs away from a relegation battle.

Allardyce has made eight new signings so far, three of them goalkeepers as he looks to replace loyal servant Rob Green. The experienced Jussi Jaaskelainen and Stephen Henderson will fight it out to be the club's new number one and a reliable goalkeeper is a vital for any newly-promoted side.

Resolute centre-back James Collins has returned to Upton Park from Aston Villa to strengthen the defence, while the arrivals of Alou Diarra and Mohamed Diame should add foreign industry to the British steel that already exists in the Hammers midfield. I believe another new player Modibo Maiga will eventually play as part of a front three alongside Carlton Cole and Ricardo Vaz Te.

It must surely be a more stable campaign for Aston Villa under Paul Lambert's management than they experienced during Alex McLeish's uncomfortable season-long tenure. Hiring the manager of your most fierce rivals is always risky, but especially in this case after he was relegated with Birmingham the previous year. The slate is now wiped clean and this is Lambert's Villa, although it may be small steps of recovery at first.

Lambert is a thoughtful manager, not frightened to switch his squad around. I saw Villa play a friendly at Nottingham Forest and judging by what I saw I'm expecting an adventurous 4-4-2 from them this season. Three of the four new signings over the summer have come in from Holland, continuing a trend from Lambert of unearthing gems rather than buying superstars.

I think they will need an immediate return from new centre-back Ron Vlaar, who has already endeared himself to the Villa fans and won comparisons with club legend Paul McGrath. Of the existing players I believe Charles N'Zogbia owes Villa a good season, be it on the wing or as a second striker. Stephen Ireland's role may have to adapt despite winning the club's Player of the Year title last year, while Shay Given's decision to retire from international football with the Republic of Ireland will see him dedicate more time to his club commitments and he may need to with the impressive Brad Guzan breathing down his neck.

I expect to see both sides battling it out for mid-table honours this season, with perhaps a draw the most likely result to get both their campaign up and running.

MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head

•Half of the 16 Premier League matches Aston Villa have played at Upton Park have ended in draws.
    •West Ham have won only two of their last 11 Premier League home meetings with Villa; a 2-1 triumph in 2009 and a 4-0 win in 2005.
    •The home side has won on eight of nine previous between the clubs in August, including 7-2 and 5-2 West Ham wins in 1958 and 1960 respectively. The only result to buck this trend was the 2-2 draw at Villa Park in 1999.
    •West Ham began their 2010-11 Premier League campaign against Aston Villa. They lost 3-0 at Villa Park and went on to be relegated at the end of the season.
    West Ham

•West Ham have lost their last two opening day fixtures since beginning with a 2-0 win at Wolves three years ago.
    •Sam Allardyce's West Ham ended last season with seven wins in their last nine matches and just one defeat in 21 games. This run included all three play-off matches.
    •The Hammers ended the 2010-11 Premier League campaign with nine winless matches. Their last top-flight victory was a 3-0 home triumph against Stoke in March 2011.
    •Allardyce is taking charge of his 324th Premier League match - the only Englishmen with more are Harry Redknapp (593) and Alan Curbishley (328).
    Aston Villa

•Villa have failed to win in their last five away opening Premier League fixtures of the season, since a 1-0 victory at Newcastle in 1999.
    •Aston Villa ended last season with just one victory in their last 16 league matches.
    •Villa recorded just seven league wins last term, their fewest in a top-flight season since the 1890-91 campaign - when only 12 teams competed.
    •Darren Bent is two away from scoring his 150th league goal. The club won only twice in 17 league matches without him last season.

Last edited by Admin on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

West Ham United FC v Aston Villa Empty Re: West Ham United FC v Aston Villa

Post  IronDane Sun 12 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

Footy is back! Smile Don't know what to expect, really, so I'll go for a 2-2!
    SemiOldIron
    SemiOldIron
    Academy

Post  SemiOldIron Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:12 pm

A point would be good. So would a clean sheet. Anything else is a bonus.

Where the hell are my mindless optimism tablets??? scratch
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:29 pm

Apparently it’s going to be 30º tomorrow [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

Very interesting article from the Beeb on the eve of the new season - by Harry Redknapp - and speaks well of all 3 promoted clubs ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Be comforted by this quote:

"For all his critics though, Allardyce has never taken a club down and his experience could be vital in their bid to beat the drop."

Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

I dunno why I read that, he so winds me up.

Well I ain't fooled....He's expecting it to be hard for all three clubs, with a manager being sacked by Christmas. He's just laying a few foundations, the bent fucked face bastard!
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:59 am

woohoo woohoo The day has come woohoo woohoo I think we will start off with 3-1 win against Villa today Bear

Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Sat 18 Aug 2012, 11:31 am

its gonna be a tough one peeps

any win will do West Ham United FC v Aston Villa 149001992
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:43 pm

Sausages?
    Chas Hammer
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Chas Hammer Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:45 pm

And there I was, resigned to watching the game late tonight when they rescheduled the game live. With Helen watching the Liverpool game, I hot foot it round to the pub only to find their tv's are tuned to the rugby, the cricket and the Liverpool game. Time to try and get one changed.

Not holding my breath though.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:46 pm

JulianDicksLeftKnee wrote:Sausages?

Here you go mate : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Iam using the last link on that page and its worked fine for me while ive had it on Smile
    Chas Hammer
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Chas Hammer Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:03 pm

Internet is down and I'm working wit my Blackberry, but thanks Arron.
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:51 pm

Good w**k Arron!
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:54 pm

Arran H wrote:
    JulianDicksLeftKnee wrote:Sausages?

Here you go mate : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Iam using the last link on that page and its worked fine for me while ive had it on Smile

Yep, worked well first half. Team did OK too. Goal was definitely offside though and Mike Dean keeps giving us the decisions for no apparent reason!
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:58 pm

Great 1st half back inthe prem !!! Diame has IMO been outstanding so far Smile Would like to see cole subbed as I dont think he is playing anywhere near like he can and maige on for the 2nd half

More of the same please west ham in the 2nd with one more goal would be nice Bear
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:59 pm

woohoo clap Bear Brilliant result,brilliant proformance by the whole team and My MOTM would of been Diame , shame that Maige didnt finish the game of in the last min by getting his goal but never mind egypt

But to top it off ...... QPR 0-5 Swansea larffff finger fcuk you GREEN !!! rofl smiley
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Sat 18 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

Well that went above all expectations! How good is our defence ? Bloody amazing! MOTM James Collins! Bear
    Chas Hammer
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Chas Hammer Sat 18 Aug 2012, 5:08 pm

Only got the last 5 mins which is enough for me to celebrate the win.now for a glass of Claret! Very Happy
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Sat 18 Aug 2012, 6:46 pm

:party:

west ham 3-1 Reading u21s
    West ham 1 - 0 Villa
    Basingstoke 2- 1 Sutton Utd

West Ham United FC v Aston Villa 3777063607

all in all a damn good weekend

however i need to see the scrolling text from the bint saying

37 points to safety

daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Sat 18 Aug 2012, 7:12 pm

Well done lads, worth mentioning as it's the first game of season, and good to hold the banner up for the new boys.
    Mind you, won't be on saying this every match even if you do go great guns! Laughing

Enjoy the pints tonite ...
    Sir Ian
    Sir Ian
    Academy

Post  Sir Ian Sat 18 Aug 2012, 7:18 pm

We are Champions league Smile
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey Sat 18 Aug 2012, 7:20 pm

JulianDicksLeftKnee wrote:. Goal was definitely offside though and Mike Dean keeps giving us the decisions for no apparent reason!

The Offish wrote:That growing pressure told when Mark Noble's free-kick hit an Aston Villa defender and fell to Ricardo Vaz Te, whose cut-back was converted by captain Nolan. The assistant referee initially flagged for offside, but referee Mike Dean was sure the ball had hit a defender and played Vaz Te onside. After a short conversation with his colleague, Dean gave the goal.

"In the end, they cracked and the referee made a huge decision for us - which was the right decision - by not allowing the goal to be scrubbed out for offside. The ball came off the Villa defender and not a West Ham player. The linesman had flagged and the referee ignored that flag and gave the goal, which was the right decision.

Definitely offside, eh.
    Sir Ian
    Sir Ian
    Academy

Post  Sir Ian Sat 18 Aug 2012, 7:28 pm

ok then WE ARE EURO LEAGUE SAY WE ARE EURO LEAGUE wine WH Flag
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 18 Aug 2012, 8:06 pm

If we can play like did after the goal onwards for the rest of the season we will have no trouble staying up IMO , Diame only one word can describe him today and thats SUPERB !! Collins played like the collins we all know , fingers crossed that both players can stay fit for us this year as them both could become if play like they today very important players for us !

Tho Swansea beat QPR 5-0 today I think we will beat them 2 0r 3-0 next week , WH Flag

My only concern was Cole , He didnt seem to be himself today like he can be tho i will put this down to match fitness etc , Maige looked good and just a shame he didnt score
    Vaz Te looked nervous to start of with but soon got into his stride
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Sat 18 Aug 2012, 8:16 pm

Looked like a nod on from a West Ham player to me on the live visual feed I was watching-still, the offish wouldn't lie so I stand corrected and have booked a SpecsSavers appointment Monday.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 12:41 pm