West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+2
Kray JR
daib0
6 posters

The New Under 21s League 2012-13

daib0
    daib0
    Academy

The New Under 21s League 2012-13 Empty The New Under 21s League 2012-13

Post  daib0 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:17 pm

West Ham play Reading today! Yes, but in the U21s in the new league that's kicking off. I don't think we'll either whinge on or gloat about the score however it goes, because although a win is a win and that's always nice, that's not the most important thing here. It's a great opportunity for the younger players to go out and express themselves on the pitch and hopefully after a season of interesting games be banging on the first team door.
    So what's this Under 21 league thing then? I found this info which I'm copying and sharing with you, and it's quite interesting. Having said that the system is a bit complicated for my liking after Christmas!
    Cheers guys ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Radical youth shake-up revealed with U21 Premier League set for big kick-off

* 23 teams confirmed to play in new style group phases before competition culminates in knock-out format
    * Regional games scrapped in favour of national mix
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A new Barclays Under-21 Premier League will be launched later this month aimed at bridging the gap between youth academies and first teams at England's top clubs. The Premier League have confirmed the creation of the first national Under-21 competition which will kick off on Friday, August 17 when Chelsea meet Manchester City and Reading visit West Ham.

The league will be made up of 23 teams – 17 Premier League clubs and six from the Championship whose academies have also been granted category one status – and split into three groups.
    The first will be made up of Arsenal, Blackburn, Bolton, Everton, Norwich, Reading, West Brom and West Ham. Aston Villa, Manchester United, Newcastle, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, Watford will play in the second group. And a smaller seven-team group three contains Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Middlesbrough and Wolves.

National Group 1 - eight teams
    Arsenal
    Blackburn
    Bolton
    Everton
    Norwich
    Reading
    West Brom
    West Ham

National Group 2 - eight teams
    Aston Villa
    Man United
    Newcastle
    Southampton
    Stoke
    Sunderland
    Tottenham
    Watford

National Group 3 - seven teams
    Chelsea
    Crystal Palace
    Fulham
    Liverpool
    Manchester City
    Middlesbrough
    Wolves

The New Under 21s League 2012-13 Article-2183247-145DD46F000005DC-854_468x243

The New Under 21s League 2012-13 Article-2183247-145DD4AD000005DC-720_468x254

From January onwards, the teams will be placed into three new pools based on their performance to encourage more even games, leading to a knockout stage and final. Each team will be restricted to three over-age outfield players and one over-age goalkeeper to try and ensure Under-21s are given as much football as they need.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said:
    'The restructuring and reform of the youth development system in English professional football is driven by the objective of producing more and better home grown players at every level. Each stage of a player's development is tailored to ensuring they have the best possible chance of progressing, and the new Barclays U21 Premier League addresses one of the most critical points – the transition from academy football to the highest standards in the first team. We believe this competitive environment, where fans can also come along to watch the next generation of Premier League and international players, will help deliver more talented home grown boys to that next level.'

Matches will take place from Friday to Monday and be scheduled around first-team fixtures to ensure that young players still get a game in the U21 League if they do not play for their senior side. Premier League director of youth Ged Roddy said:
    'As a first team manager there is a great benefit in knowing that you can have your U21 player on the bench for the first team, but if he doesn't play then there's still the option for him to have high quality competitive football that weekend.'

Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

The New Under 21s League 2012-13 Empty Re: The New Under 21s League 2012-13

Post  Kray JR Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:49 pm

our boys playing at Rush Green tonight

might have to keep an eye out for future fixtures and try and get along to see them.
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 7:38 pm

yeah, being under 21s but with 3 wild card players of any age it'll be rather like the Olympic football teams, players right on the first team fringe - plus maybe a real star or two who are recovering from injury and getting first couple of games under their belts. I think it's all pretty positive having it set as a league situation, because as it was for most clubs recently didn't function well - just having a few friendly botch games hardly aroused any interest. Some of Reading's games, for example, are going to be seen at the main Madekski Stadium - great for the young lads of both sides.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Fri 17 Aug 2012, 7:58 pm

Kray JR wrote:our boys playing at Rush Green tonight

might have to keep an eye out for future fixtures and try and get along to see them.

Let me know dear.....I'll meet you over there, if you want a bit of company egypt
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:19 pm

The New Under 21s League 2012-13 86123369
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:29 pm

Very Happy

You'll have to let me know where it is though Rolling Eyes
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:59 am

Hammers won ....

a tweet in -

"#readingfc U21's lost 3-1 but young Ryan Edwards got on the score sheet. Something to build on."
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:11 am

and ...

West Ham United Official Club Site

Development Squad 3 Reading 1
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

an in-depth report from the Hammers' perspective ... sounds a comprehensive victory, well done lads
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Sat 18 Aug 2012, 7:09 am

Cheers Daib0

good start for the wippersnappers

lets hope the first team can continue that WH Flag
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:16 am

Development Squad 3-1 Reading
    The Development Squad got off to a winning start in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League
    SendSend PrintPrint RssRSS

The Development Squad made the perfect start in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League by beating Reading 3-1 at Rush Green.

Paul McCallum opened the scoring in the 42nd minute, tapping home the rebound from Rob Hall's initial effort. The forward then got his second ten minutes into the second half. Hall twisted and turned before bursting into the box and crossing to McCallum, who dispatched the ball expertly into the corner.

Reading rarely threatened, but pulled one back in the 72nd minute, but a trialist made sure of the win for the hosts four minutes from time, clinically finishing over the stranded Jonathan Henly.

Speaking post-match, Development Squad manager Ian Hendon revealed his delight after a near flawless performance from his young side.

"I'm delighted with the result because it gives us an excellent platform going into the season," explained Hendon. "We had a mixed pre-season and played a lot of experienced, physical teams but it has prepared us well for tonight's game.

"Reading are a big team who tried to knock the ball long up to the front three and I felt we dealt with that, and we of course did extremely well going forward scoring three good goals."

Hendon often admitted his side had lacked a little focus defensively during pre-season so he was very pleased at the way his side organised themselves.

"It's something that I have highlighted recently so it's good to see the lads respond and take it on board.

"It was a little disappointing conceding from a corner, but that may have more to do with a little lapse in concentration due to being 2-0 up.

"It's early days and that is something we can focus on ironing out on the training ground, but as I say I'm delighted with the result and to have got off to a winning start."

McCallum was the star turn, scoring two and grabbing an assist, leading Hendon to praise him and his support trio of Hall, Blair Turgott and Dominic Vose.

"They are very talented, forward-thinking players as you can see, Dom has done really well for the first goal and Rob has shown his talent with the second and that is another thing that is pleasing.

"We worked hard this week on getting the ball to the back post for Paul because he is very good at attacking that, so it's very pleasing as a coach to see something you have worked on come to fruition."
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:17 pm

Hope a couple of these youngsters get a chance against Crewe.
    daib0
    daib0
    Academy

Post  daib0 Mon 24 Dec 2012, 3:46 pm

Thought it worth recuperating this thread lads. You know me, I'm a Reading fan but I'll always give credit where it's due.

Well, West Ham WON their division of the U21 league, congratulations.

Here's the final tables of the National Groups - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The first two or three from each table will go into the elite division play-offs after Christmas clap
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Mon 24 Dec 2012, 3:51 pm

Thanks daib0.

Merry Christmas.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 8:02 pm