West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+11
Campo
manurewa hammer
JulianDicksLeftKnee
Tony P
Jiggs
Johnny K
westhamonkey
Arran H
mottinghammer
Dan C
Admin
15 posters

Five worst signings

alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Five worst signings - Page 2 Empty Re: Five worst signings

Post  alfiehammer Mon 01 Jul 2013, 5:49 pm

Never seemed to have minded ljungberg as much as others. Wouldnt have him in the top 5 anyways. I loved Abou Tony, wouldn't have had him either. As has been said, Dailly had his good moments and there was worse then him. That said a VERY interesting topic and a great post by Tony that took me right back down memory lane. Needs saving or sticky IMHO
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Mon 01 Jul 2013, 7:48 pm

Of course! Repka! He needs to be on that list too!
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Mon 01 Jul 2013, 7:54 pm

You been on the sauce dude?
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:25 pm

Dan C wrote:Of course! Repka! He needs to be on that list too!

Agreed. Another liability
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:05 pm

alfiehammer wrote:You been on the sauce dude?

No - just surprised I forgot the biggest waste of £5.5m I've ever seen in a claret and blue shirt.
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:18 am

mottinghammer wrote:MH, how often did you see him play? Lots of effort but rarely any end result, and gave away as many fouls as big Tommy Repka, but without the same impact emot
    Only on the tele a few times mate i must admit. You must have seen some stuff i didn't. I'll bow down to you on that one .
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:47 am

Ok repka wasn't the greatest of defenders. But in my opinion certainly not the worst we've had either and no where near a waste of money list

Unsworth, Ferdinand, stimac, margas, Anton Ferdinand, ruddock, billic, none of our defenders have been amazing really.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:30 pm

jawdrop  Bobby, Bonzo, Dicks, Lampard Snr, Alvin, Pottsy, Tony Gale, Winston, Ginge and James Tomkins...................Naughty Alfie!
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Tue 02 Jul 2013, 3:58 pm

All much older or very recent- during repkas tenure our defenders hardly covered themselves in glory jiggly one
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:22 pm

I wasn't slating Tomas, I'd loved the way he put him self about, the comment was in reference to the reckless way dead snake went about it, not in the same class! emot 
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:33 pm

Out of all those defenders you listed Alfie, Repka was the worst out of all of them. For £5.5m, and our record signing at the time, he was a monstrous waste of money.

Some of the names on your list confuse me: Bilic was a fantastic defender for us; Unsworth was fine too and it was a shame his wife forced him back north; Stimac didn't see his best days for us but brought us experience; Margas had a decent start to 99/00 when he returned from his hiatus and showed glimpses of form; Anton was fine for us at the time and helped us get promotion and stabilise. Ruddock, I grant you, he was never my cup of tea. But all of them, to a man, were better defenders than Tomas Repka.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:08 pm

Dan C wrote:Out of all those defenders you listed Alfie, Repka was the worst out of all of them. For £5.5m, and our record signing at the time, he was a monstrous waste of money.

Some of the names on your list confuse me: Bilic was a fantastic defender for us; Unsworth was fine too and it was a shame his wife forced him back north;  Stimac didn't see his best days for us but brought us experience; Margas had a decent start to 99/00 when he returned from his hiatus and showed glimpses of form; Anton was fine for us at the time and helped us get promotion and stabilise. Ruddock, I grant you, he was never my cup of tea. But all of them, to a man, were better defenders than Tomas Repka.

Yeah sorry dude, confusing post. Those that I listed I considered to be the best defenders I've seen as my time as a a hammer (I'd forgotten to add ian Pearce) and I'd put repka in their company as opposed to some of the shite defenders we've had. IMHO.
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

Dan C wrote:I wouldn't put Lee Chapman in there. He at least scored a few goals for us, including an equaliser in one of my favourite ever matches for atmosphere, a 2-2 draw against Man Utd in 1994. Also got the winning goal in two matches in our run to the FA Cup quarter-finals in the same season.

Plenty of others to consider - Kieron Dyer? Joey Beauchamp? Rigobert Song? Wayne Quinn? Gary Breen? Nigel Quashie? Benni McCarthy?

Great memories of that 93-94 season, my first after leaving school so done loads of games that season including a 4-1 win at the yids Smile
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:54 pm

alfiehammer wrote:Those that I listed I considered to be the best defenders I've seen as my time as a a hammer (I'd forgotten to add ian Pearce) and I'd put repka in their company as opposed to some of the shite defenders we've had. IMHO.

Sorry mate, can't agree. We all have our dislikes and Repka was/is mine. In my view, a God-awful defender and his brand of 'passion' was, again in my opinion, of detriment to his team-mates and the club.

If we're talking good defenders (as per your earlier post), from those I've seen (not including any current players) I'd add Stuart Pearce, Schemmel, Pottsy, Gabbidon and Julian. Repka couldn't hold a candle to any of them!
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:00 pm

Kray JR wrote:Great memories of that 93-94 season, my first after leaving school so done loads of games that season including a 4-1 win at the yids Smile

Great times mate - I was in last year of junior school at the time, the only home game I missed all season was Leeds as I was in the school Christmas play!

Aside from those games mentioned earlier, I remember a great night atmosphere when we beat City 3-1, another Monday night thriller against Norwich which ended 3-3 and David Seaman denying Trevor Morley a late winner by grabbing him round the neck when clear on goal! Didn't go to away games in those days as was too young but we won at both Highbury and the Lane!
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey Wed 03 Jul 2013, 5:56 am

Dan C wrote:
    alfiehammer wrote:Those that I listed I considered to be the best defenders I've seen as my time as a a hammer (I'd forgotten to add ian Pearce) and I'd put repka in their company as opposed to some of the shite defenders we've had. IMHO.

Sorry mate, can't agree. We all have our dislikes and Repka was/is mine. In my view, a God-awful defender and his brand of 'passion' was, again in my opinion, of detriment to his team-mates and the club.

If we're talking good defenders (as per your earlier post), from those I've seen (not including any current players) I'd add Stuart Pearce, Schemmel, Pottsy, Gabbidon and Julian. Repka couldn't hold a candle to any of them!

Yet Christian "How far can I back off before he gets a shot off, ooops" Dailly is remembered well. He was one of the worst defenders I have ever seen.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:19 am

Dan C wrote:

Wasn't schemmel great for a season (HOTY) then went pants after that much like Ilunga? Other then that agree with your list but still liked Repka, although I will admit he wasn't the best. Certainly not the worst either.
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Wed 03 Jul 2013, 1:45 pm

Blakey wrote:
    Dan C wrote:

Yet Christian "How far can I back off before he gets a shot off, ooops" Dailly is remembered well. He was one of the worst defenders I have ever seen.

He has to be given some credit for the 'curly hair too' song & his '*fupping* cheats!' German rant. Bertie Vogts yelling 'Christian! Christian!' was good value.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Thu 04 Jul 2013, 9:27 pm

And his goal in the play offs after controlling the ball with his onions...
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sun 07 Jul 2013, 5:32 pm

Should we add Titus Bramble to this as he is starting against Cork this evening ? scared2 
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey Sun 07 Jul 2013, 7:53 pm

Kray JR wrote:Should we add Titus Bramble to this as he is starting against Cork this evening ? scared2 

A game we won 2 - 6
    Nicki
    Nicki
    Academy

Post  Nicki Mon 08 Jul 2013, 4:23 pm

Blakey wrote:
    Kray JR wrote:Should we add Titus Bramble to this as he is starting against Cork this evening ? scared2 

A game we won 2 - 6

And looked shocking from highlights
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Mon 08 Jul 2013, 6:33 pm

WTF!?!?!?!?  Five worst signings - Page 2 2723394577
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Mon 08 Jul 2013, 8:56 pm

Jiggs wrote:

WTF!?!?!?!?  Five worst signings - Page 2 2723394577

I was going to text and tell you but didnt want to spoil your evening.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Tue 09 Jul 2013, 11:02 pm

Awwwwwwwww.....you are too good to me Daz xx

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 10:52 am