West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+11
Campo
manurewa hammer
JulianDicksLeftKnee
Tony P
Jiggs
Johnny K
westhamonkey
Arran H
mottinghammer
Dan C
Admin
15 posters

Five worst signings

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Five worst signings Empty Five worst signings

Post  Admin Thu 27 Jun 2013, 10:15 am

Do you agree ?

Lee Chapman
    The former Nottingham Forest and Leeds United striker was signed from Portsmouth for £250,000 in September 1993. When fan-favourite Julian Dicks was swapped with Liverpool for David Burrows and Mike Marsh, Chapman was signed in the same week. Often a point of ridicule at West Ham, the footballer with the actress wife was as immobile as they come. So immobile that cries of “you can move Chapman, it’s not Subbuteo” were uttered from the famous Chicken Run. Sure he may have won the last ever League Division One title with Leeds but for West Ham he scored 11 goals in 51 appearances. He was so despised at the Boleyn that on one occasion after a relentless tirade of abuse from a fan attending a pre-season friendly; then-assistant manager Harry Redknapp substituted him for said fan.
    Marco Boogers
    The famous caravan dwelling Dutchman Marco Boogers arrived at West Ham in July 1995 for £1 million and made just four substitute appearances in a three year spell. He was sent off in his second appearance for the club for a violent challenge on Gary Neville at Old Trafford. The legend goes that during his suspension he returned to the Netherlands depressed and went to live in a caravan – the truth is it was mix up between a journalist and a former West Ham employee. However, when Boogers returned to the Boleyn Ground he found he had been displaced in the team by Iain Dowie.
    Titi Camara
    When then boss Harry Redknapp sold Rio Ferdinand for £18 million to Leeds United, he bought Rigobert Song, ‘Titi’ Camara and Christian Dailly with the money. Now while Song often creates debate in the Boleyn as to how good/bad he was and Dailly is known as the club’s football genius, there is no doubting Camara’s impact, or lack of. Camara arrived from Liverpool for a hefty sum, and sporting a hefty waistline, in December 2000. He made 14 appearances for the Irons in three years without ever registering a goal in the Claret and Blue.
    Savio Nsereko
    When West Ham’s Icelandic owners held a press conference to announce the arrival of a 19-year-old Ugandan-born German U20 international eyebrows were raised. He perhaps best encapsulates the extravagance of biscuit baron Eggert Magnusson’s reign in the East End. He arrived full of promise for a fee thought to be £9 million and left for Fiorentina on an undisclosed fee plus defender Manuel da Costa having made just 10 appearances for the Irons. He was arrested in Pattaya, Thailand in October 2012 for a false kidnap claim. He had reportedly tried to extort money from his own family.
    Freddie Ljungberg
    Ljungberg’s transfer is another prime example of the poor miss-management under the ill-fated Icelandic reign at West Ham. Ljungberg had been a very successful player for Arsenal in a nine year spell, but by the time West Ham had come in for him he had been cut down by injury and was a shell of the player he used to be. This did not stop the aforementioned biscuit baron from shelling out £3m and a four-year £75,000 a week deal for the Swedish international. To be fair to Ljungberg he scored two goals in 28 appearances for West Ham and although his legs had clearly gone, he showed flashes of the player he had been. The issue is with Ljungberg’s appearance on this list is more to do with the size of wage he was offered and the fee the Hammer’s had to pay to release him from his contract after only a year (£6 million).
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Five worst signings Empty Re: Five worst signings

Post  Dan C Thu 27 Jun 2013, 6:28 pm

I wouldn't put Lee Chapman in there. He at least scored a few goals for us, including an equaliser in one of my favourite ever matches for atmosphere, a 2-2 draw against Man Utd in 1994. Also got the winning goal in two matches in our run to the FA Cup quarter-finals in the same season.

Plenty of others to consider - Kieron Dyer? Joey Beauchamp? Rigobert Song? Wayne Quinn? Gary Breen? Nigel Quashie? Benni McCarthy?
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Thu 27 Jun 2013, 6:49 pm

Agree with the others you mentioned Dan , maybe we could have a Top Ten instead but would that be enough Smile
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:10 pm

Allan McNight? Worst keeper I ever saw for West Ham, John Radford played 30 games for us and never looked like scoring, that Rumanian bloke what went off shopping (one of good old 'Arrys buys). Dale Gordan! Christ what a waste of cash he was! The list goes on.......................
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:23 pm

Ah yes, 'Disco' Dale Gordon! Scored our first ever PL goal and then spent the next three years injured!

I always liked Florin Raducioiu - the shopping trip was one of Redknapp's tall tales. 'Arry decided he didn't like him, having shelled out £2.4m on him (which was a big amount for us then) - I always thought he could have come good, scored two lovely goals against Man Utd and Sunderland, and a decent finish against Stockport in the League Cup. 'Arry carted him off without giving him a proper go, and signed Mike Newell on loan instead.
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Fri 28 Jun 2013, 11:33 am

Another stunning signing by 'Arry boy, played 7 scored fupp all, never looked interested!

What about that stunning defender Gary Charles, noted more for his ability to get into trouble behind the wheel than on the park!

Going back a bit we signed Peter Eustace from Sheffield Wednesday for a record £90,000 in 1970, the only thing I can remember about him is his nickname at Upton Park, 'Useless Eustace', seems to have spent half of his two years at West Ham on loan to Rotherham and Sheffield Weds.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Fri 28 Jun 2013, 12:21 pm

Surely Benni McCarthy has to be on this list as one of the worst signings we have made ?!?!?!?!?!?
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Fri 28 Jun 2013, 8:10 pm

what about Simon Webster?

hardly his fault... but we bought him - allegedly to be our captain (can't remember where from) - but he got injured in pre-season and never played a game for us and was then shipped out after a couple of years never once having played...

like i said... not his fault... but hardly money well spent.
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Fri 28 Jun 2013, 8:50 pm

westhamonkey wrote:

hardly his fault... but we bought him - allegedly to be our captain (can't remember where from) - but he got injured in pre-season and never played a game for us and was then shipped out after a couple of years never once having played...

Signed from Charlton if I recall. Dicksy broke his leg in training. He did actually play a few games for the first team, think he may even have come off the bench in the final game of 1994/95 when we denied Man Utd the title. Was on our physio team for a while too.
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:54 pm

David Kelly was fairly crap, although he somehow managed to get 7 goals before becoming a WMD whistleblower & committing suicide.  Maybe.

Lino - as he was always on the floor.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:11 pm

Dan C wrote:
    westhamonkey wrote:

Signed from Charlton if I recall. Dicksy broke his leg in training. He did actually play a few games for the first team, think he may even have come off the bench in the final game of 1994/95 when we denied Man Utd the title. Was on our physio team for a while too.

Learnt as he laid on the table eh Dan?  Very Happy
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:17 am

A top 5 simply isn't enough ! To add to the names already mentioned above

1. Christian Dailly
      Sasa Ilic
      Gary Strodder
      Hugo Porfirio
      Robbie Slater
      Samassi Abou
      Christian Bassila
      Kaba Diawara
      Hayden Foxe
      Ragnvald Soma
      Laurent Courtois
      Vladimir Labant
      Svetoslav Todorov
      Niclas Alexandersson
      Neil Mellor
      Robbie Stockdale
      Luke Chadwick
      Sergei Rebrov
      Jeremie Aliadiere
      David Bellion
      Yaniv Katan
      Kepa Blanco
      Luis Boa Morte
      Henri Camara
      Radoslav Kovac
      Luis Jimenez
      Mido
      Tal Ben-Haim
      John Carew
      Danny Collins
      Marouane Chamakh
      Emanuel Pogatetz
      Franz Carr
      Sandy Clark
      Justin Fashanu
      John Harkes
      Walter Lopez
      Ted MacDougall
      David Noble
      Mike Small
      Youseff Sofiane

Now I know a lot of those were loanees but boy we have signed some crap haven't we ?!!!
    Johnny K
    Johnny K
    Academy

Post  Johnny K Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:47 am

Blimey Tone!  You've been doing your homework!  I always feel a bit sorry for Mike Small when he appears in these lists as he did score 18 goals in his first season & was our top scorer, including one beauty at Arsenal.  Fair do's he was a bit - well, predictable is the polite word I guess!

Who is the last one, btw?  & who was that Mexican fellow we had a couple of seasons back?  The first thing he said was he hoped this would lead to him moving to a bigger club.
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:58 am

Harsh to put Dailly in there and I always liked Porfirio and Abou! I'd throw Mitchell Thomas' name into the hat too, along with Alex Bunbury.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sun 30 Jun 2013, 12:30 pm

Cant understand why you have put Dailly and Kovac on the list of the worst signings Tony ,
    Dailly may not have been a very good player but he always did a good job when he was needed
    Kovac I thought was a good player for us and pop up with a couple of good goals with the one against Everton being the stand out one .

Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sun 30 Jun 2013, 3:07 pm

Tony P wrote:A top 5 simply isn't enough ! To add to the names already mentioned above

1. Christian Dailly
      Sasa Ilic
      Gary Strodder
      Hugo Porfirio
      Robbie Slater
      Samassi Abou

Etc, etc, etc blah blah blah blah blah blah .................................................

Now I know a lot of those were loanees but boy we have signed some crap haven't we ?!!!

rofl 

That's a new book ............. The claret and Blue's 40 odd shades of grey? Long Leg
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Sun 30 Jun 2013, 3:52 pm

Dowie-both times!
    Dan C
    Dan C
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Dan C Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm

Dowie always gave 100% though and did strike up a good partnership with Tony Cottee in 95/96, helping us to a top ten finish, our highest placing for ten years at the time. He was also runner-up Hammer of the Year that season. He wouldn't make my list of worst signings because of that contribution.
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Sun 30 Jun 2013, 5:57 pm

Agreed Dan but I didn't bring him up because of fix work rate or that he was a fans favourite-more the fact he was a shit footballer!
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm

Arran H wrote:Cant understand why you have put Dailly and Kovac on the list of the worst signings Tony ,
    Dailly may not have been a very good player but he always did a good job when he was needed
    Kovac I thought was a good player for us and pop up with a couple of good goals with the one against Everton being the stand out one .

Only my opinion Arran. I thought Dailly was an awful defender. I preferred it when he was pushed into midfield. As for Kovac - I thought he was a shocking player
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:19 pm

Dan C wrote:Harsh to put Dailly in there and I always liked Porfirio and Abou! I'd throw Mitchell Thomas' name into the hat too, along with Alex Bunbury.

Can't argue with that
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:02 am

i'm not sure that Boa Morte should be in their either. A bit harsh.
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:19 am

MH, how often did you see him play? Lots of effort but rarely any end result, and gave away as many fouls as big Tommy Repka, but without the same impact emot
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:20 pm

we may have a new one, titus bramble is with our lot training at chadwell
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Mon 01 Jul 2013, 4:08 pm

Five worst signings 2723394577 f'ckin hell will we never learn!!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 4:14 pm