West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

5 posters

West Ham United FC v Boro

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

West Ham United FC v Boro Empty West Ham United FC v Boro

Post  Admin Fri 30 Sep 2016, 4:54 pm

West Ham United FC v Boro West%20ham%20v%20Boro_zpsgchexqlp

[size=34]West Ham v Middlesbrough preview: Hammers and Boro target return to winning ways[/size]

West Ham and Middlesbrough will look to put a torrid September behind them when they face each other at London Stadium on Saturday.

Slaven Bilic's West Ham failed to win a Premier League game in September, while build-up to this match was dominated by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Bilic [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], with the club currently struggling in 18th position in the table

Boro meanwhile have lost three games in a row following an unbeaten league run in August, most recently falling to a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Team news

Bilic confirmed Havard Nordtveit is doubtful to face Boro, and Andre Ayew remains sidelined for another three to four weeks through injury.

Aaron Cresswell will return to training on Monday and is likely to feature for the Hammers after the international break.

Head coach Aitor Karanka has no fresh injury concerns ahead of the clash.

For Middlesbrough, club captain Grant Leadbitter (hernia) is progressing well but remains out for the game.

Karanka also confirmed Fabio (knee) and James Husband (shoulder) have returned to training but the pair are likely to be eased back into action.

Opta stats

Alvaro Negredo has scored five goals in four appearances in all competitions against the Hammers, although all five goals arrived in the EFL Cup.

West Ham have lost five of their opening six top-flight games in a season for the first time in their history.

Boro have lost their last five Premier League away games in London and have won only two of their last 22 trips to the capital (D3 L17).

Since the start of April, West Ham have conceded 19 home goals, more than any other Premier League team in that period.

Middlesbrough have not scored more than once in an away league game at West Ham since a 2-1 win in April 1989, netting four goals in 14 games since.

West Ham have lost all four Premier League games Dimitri Payet has appeared in this season - he only lost six games in the whole of 2015-16.

Victor Valdes has played six Premier League games (two for Man Utd, four for Middlesbrough) and has never been on the winning side.

Merson's prediction

This is the type of game that makes Super 6 very difficult! You just don't know. This could be any score either way. West Ham are really struggling, their defence is all over the place and they are not playing to the standards they were last season.

It was bad business to sell James Tomkins. He might not be the difference, but he makes difference. He can play at centre-half or full-back, he is comfortable on the ball and at the moment they have no defenders. They sold him for just £10m, it wasn't a huge fee.

Middlesbrough are lacking pace and have become a bit predictable. But if they can turn in a performance like they did in the second half against Tottenham last week when the game was lost, then they have more of a chance. It's a really tough one to call.

PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1 ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
    Arran H
    Reserves

West Ham United FC v Boro Empty Re: West Ham United FC v Boro

Post  Arran H Sat 01 Oct 2016, 9:13 am

Not going to be an easy game and to be honest I`d be happy with just a Draw today just to bring an end to our losing run we are currently on.

I can see Downing scoring against and can see them nicking it 1-0 Tbh tho I hope I 'am proved wrong !
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sat 01 Oct 2016, 1:49 pm

Reece Oxford is playing for the young hammers team playing in the Cup against Leicester today.

West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577West Ham United FC v Boro 2723394577
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sat 01 Oct 2016, 2:06 pm

WEST HAM UNITED: Adrian, Byram, Collins, Reid, Ogbonna, Obiang, Noble (c), Kouyate, Tore, Payet, Antonio
    SUBS: Randolph (GK), Arbeloa, Feghouli, Lanzini, Zaza, Fletcher, Fernandes  

MIDDLESBROUGH: Valdes, Barragan, Gibson, Chambers, Friend (c), Fischer, de Roon, Forshaw, Downing, Rhodes, Stuani
    SUBS: Guzan (GK), Ayala, Espinosa, Clayton, Negredo, Ramirez, Traore
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sat 01 Oct 2016, 3:53 pm

Clean sheet at half time......Noble hit the bar........that is all.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sat 01 Oct 2016, 4:06 pm

Not impressed with the first half apart from the last 10 min,s and I would,nt call that part impressive they just seem to have woken up a bit . 0 0 , I,m happy for now , just sort it out FFS
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:46 pm

Disappointed. Goal behind and if it was not for Payet may well have lost. Just cannot see how Bilic works out his team.
    I think he will have to go.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sat 01 Oct 2016, 7:17 pm

Anyone that say`s that Slav needs to go are fupping mad !! , How many times under Fat Sam did we have this sort of run ... the answer is quite a lot and look how long he stayed with us for !
    Bilic is the best manager we1ve had for years and I believe if we hadn't of suffered all the injuries we did at start of season we would of started similar to last season Tbh , the injuries have hit us hard and now that we have them all coming back things will only improve for us

Carroll , Sakho and Ayew are back we will be much more of a threat going forward with the likes of Payet , Lanzini , Tore and Fegoulie etc we will be mid table or higher come xmas I personally think
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Sat 01 Oct 2016, 7:35 pm

Arran H wrote:Anyone that say`s that Slav needs to go are fupping mad !! , How many times under Fat Sam did we have this sort of run ... the answer is quite a lot and look how long he stayed with us for !
    Bilic is the best manager we1ve had for years and I believe if we hadn't of suffered all the injuries we did at start of season we would of started similar to last season Tbh , the injuries have hit us hard and now that we have them all coming back things will only improve for us

Carroll , Sakho and Ayew are back we will be much more of a threat going forward with the likes of Payet , Lanzini , Tore and Fegoulie etc we will be mid table or higher come xmas I personally think  

Fupping mad am l? What makes me mad is seeing our team out played in midfield by Boro. How can you leave Lanzini on the bench and choose Tora, Noble and Kouyate over him? Team selection makes me mad.
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Sat 01 Oct 2016, 10:21 pm

Arran H wrote:Anyone that say`s that Slav needs to go are fupping mad !! , How many times under Fat Sam did we have this sort of run ... the answer is quite a lot and look how long he stayed with us for !

The injuries we have had haven't been to players who play in the area where we have struggled most though. Our centre backs and centre midfielders have been woeful so far this season and all Slaven has done is switched them around. He looks like a desperate man to me. Tore starting and Antonio upfront looks quite desperate when we have Fletcher and Zaza on the bench. Tore starting ahead of Lanzini looked like he was hoping to get something out off Tore to justify chasing him all summer.

It's not all Slavs fault though, the players have to do their bit. Antonio losing the Boro man for the goal today a prime example. Antonio needs a spell on the bench for me, for all his effort, pace and headed goals when the ball is at his feet 9 out of 10 times it's going to be given away or end up in row z. Noble needs to step back as well but we never drop our captains so I can't see that happening.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sun 02 Oct 2016, 7:12 am

Charlie Ham I wasn't actually meaning you mate I was just stating as a whole people who have starting saying that Bilic should go are mad considering what we have had to Put up with - Not many other many Managers would of done any better then what Slav has done with the Injuries we suffered.
    If come Xmas we are still in and around the relegation Zone with a fit squad THEN you could start to question Bilic but until then we should all back Bilic and hope that once EVERYONE is back Bilic can turn things around and we start to see the West ham off last season.

Kray JR I know we haven't had any injuries at the back but what I`m getting at is I think the Injuries hit the squad hard and it`s affected the way we played and had to Set Up for games ... I mean If Sakho or Carroll were fit then Zaza would not be starting that for sure , I think Tore and Fegoulie need more time especially Fegoulie considering he had picked up an injury during pre-season.

Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Sun 02 Oct 2016, 9:10 am

I am still torn between whether Bilic got "lucky" last season with his signings, which, coupled with a poor Premier League (Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool not even qualifying for Europe and Leicester winning the league) put us in a false finishing position and whether he has been badly let down by the players this season so far

What I do blame him, and the owners, for is the following:-

• Making it public to the world that we were after a "World Class striker" and making us look fools when none of them wanted to come to us
    • Burying their heads in the sand when our goals against column since Xmas resembled one of a team in a relegation battle. We conceded 2 or more goals in about 8 of our last 10 league games
    • Failing to recognise that we desperately needed a proven senior right back - until the last day of the transfer window
    • Failing to recognise that we had no cover for Cresswell at left back (until he got injured - then they acted)
    • Signing Tore
    • Signing Zaza
    • Playing Antonio at right back
    • Selling Tomkins with no intention of playing Reece Oxford ahead of Ginge or replacing him, even in the short term
    • Having Noble as a permanent fixture both as player & captain making him undroppable. He has taken him off in most games. Tells me a lot
    • Tinkering with the back four this season whilst failing to recognise the gaping hole that is left in front of them because we don't have proper defensive midfield players who are willing to stay in position and protect them. Nordtveit was bought to play there but has played in every position but the one for which he played in Germany
    • Treating Obiang like a bit-part player which, had they played him, would go a long way to solving the previous point

Yes, the players have a lot to answer for this season but I believe that their false confidence early on in the season stems from the fact that they somehow believed that all they needed was a "world class striker" to turn them into a top 4 side. They have not worked hard enough in or out of possession this season whilst the so-called lesser clubs work their collective nuts off. Our position is not a false one in the league. Perhaps 7th last season was
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:13 pm

To Some degree I agree with the points you have made Tony. I do believe the board and Slav were wrong to Publicly say that we were after a " World Class Striker " this Summer and I do believe that Byram was actually brought last season to be played this year as a replacement for Jenkinson as Arsenal had made it clear that we was not going to be allowed Jenkinson back again so yea your right that yet again the club acted in a desperate measure to bring another Right Back in Arbeloa and also the same for the Left Back with Masuaku so that we had cover in both Positions.

I think after the international break once we get Cresswell back I think we will become a lot stronger in defence as I think Slav will stick with a back four of Arbeloa - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell unless he is forced to change through injury or suspension`s etc.

Obviously the poor season the Top Clubs had last year did help us out and probs as you`ve said put us in a higher position then what we would of been had all the top clubs perform etc.

I`ve always back Noble but even I`m starting to see that he isn't performing no where near to the standards he was last year and maybe needs to be dropped to give him a kick up arse but having him as Captain is right as he knows what us Fans are feeling at the moment and their will no player in that Squad feeling more pain at where we are in the league then him.

And I do feel sorry for Obiang as when he plays , he does really well and I hope he gets more game time as he is a good solid midfielder so unlike players will just sit and protect the back four.

Signing Zaza and Calleri were both Desperate moves by the club and both so far have been mistakes as nether have done thing that makes me think they will be good for us.
    Fletcher however is a very clever signing as he looks good and is deffo one for the future and Ayew is a good signing but not worth the price we paid for him and think his injury was just unlucky I think he will become a good signing for us once he come`s back from his injury.
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Sun 02 Oct 2016, 8:25 pm

Arran H wrote: Charlie Ham I wasn't actually meaning you mate I was just stating as a whole people who have starting saying that Bilic should go are mad considering what we have had to Put up with - Not many other many Managers would of done any better then what Slav has done with the Injuries we suffered.
    If come Xmas we are still in and around the relegation Zone with a fit squad THEN you could start to question Bilic but until then we should all back Bilic and hope that once EVERYONE is back Bilic can turn things around and we start to see the West ham off last season.

Kray JR I know we haven't had any injuries at the back but what I`m getting at is I  think the Injuries hit the squad hard and it`s affected the way we played and had to Set Up for games ... I mean If Sakho or Carroll were fit then Zaza would not be starting that for sure , I think Tore and Fegoulie need more time especially Fegoulie considering he had picked up an injury during pre-season.

Arran take no notice of me, l just had the hump after Saturday game. I don't like to see anyone go but our present troubles started last year and have just got worse. Playing Antonio as a right back said a lot about Bilic who seem to be the only person who thought this right. This I feel had a major effect on our transfers during the break in which the only import so far who has shown some form is Masuaku with the others making no difference at all. In fact I can think of two, Zaza and Tore who are a waste of space. Bilic seems to mess around with changing the wrong players from the team. Noble and Kouyate need dropping and we may start seeing a difference in team performance.
    Kray JR
    Kray JR
    Reserves

Post  Kray JR Mon 03 Oct 2016, 8:54 pm

Personally I don't think a partnership of Reid and Ogbonna is going to fix our problems.

Both struggle with decision making and getting caught out of position too often.

I didn't rate Tomkins but I saw him play on Friday at Everton on tv and watched him chase a ball out wide and smash it into row Z, I couldn't help thinking to myself Ogbonna would have kept it in play and smashed it straight to the opposition in a dangerous area.

If we can keep our heads above water till January then a centre back with some bollix who is going to lead and demand from his team mates is a must over any other position.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Tue 04 Oct 2016, 6:38 pm

To be honest I`d feel much more comfortable with a back four off Arbeloa - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell then any other combination.

I just hope that Tomkins is given a good reception by our fans as we all know given the choice Tomkins would of stayed with us if knew he was going to get game time etc.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 12:54 pm