West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+7
Jiggs
JulianDicksLeftKnee
Suzanne Claret
mottinghammer
Tony P
Charlie Ham
Admin
11 posters

Cardiff v West Ham United Play Offs 1st Leg

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Cardiff v West Ham United  Play Offs 1st Leg Empty Cardiff v West Ham United Play Offs 1st Leg

Post  Admin Mon 30 Apr 2012, 5:00 pm

Cardiff v West Ham United  Play Offs 1st Leg ClubLogoCardiff v West Ham UnitedCardiff v West Ham United  Play Offs 1st Leg ClubLogo

Npower Championship play-off semi-final first leg

Venue: Cardiff City Stadium
    Date: Thursday, 3 MayKick-off: 1945 BST

Coverage: Online: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Cardiff boss Malky Mackay will select his starting line-up for the first leg of their play-off semi-final against West Ham from a full-strength squad.

Four unspecified players sustained knocks in the win at Crystal Palace, but are all expected to be back.

West Ham also have a fully fit squad available with midfielder Gary O'Neil (ankle) passed fit.

Kevin Nolan is also fine despite suffering a dead leg and James Tomkins has shaken off a knock to the head.

Mackay is determined that his team will not be unnerved by recent disappointment in the play-offs.

The Bluebirds lost out to Blackpool in a thrilling Wembley final two seasons ago, before being beaten by Reading at the last-four stage last term.

"That's in the past, you have to take the individual games on their own merit," the Bluebirds boss said. "Each of us have been better away from home so it will be interesting. But it's a 180-minute game of football. Nothing will be decided until 6.15pm on Monday.

"When you get to this stage it is about who is the calmest on the day, who gets that bit of luck, but also who tactically gets it right over the 180 minutes."

Meanwhile, West Ham assistant boss Neil McDonald insisted the Hammers would not be affected by their favourites tag.

The Londoners finished 11 points ahead of sixth-placed Cardiff and have won a club-record 13 matches away from home this term.

"There's no reason why we shouldn't handle the pressure," McDonald said. "There were doubts about our home form but we've put that to bed with our last two games and our away form is fantastic. I don't think we have anything to be afraid of.

"It will be a unique atmosphere but our experienced players will calm everyone down and the ones who haven't done it before should be positive. It will be a close game but hopefully we can take advantage of our away form and then bring them back to Upton Park on Monday and show what we did in the last two matches, which is play positive football, create chances and score goals."

MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head

• This is their 50th meeting, spanning 92 years. West Ham have won 25 of the last 49, and Cardiff nine.

• The Championship clashes this season were both away wins; 1-0 for Cardiff at Upton Park in August, and 2-0 for the Hammers at the Cardiff City Stadium in March.

• This is their first meeting in the play-offs.

Cardiff City

• The Bluebirds ended the season on a 10-match undefeated sequence (W4, D6), with the four wins in their last six, to end the campaign in sixth spot, five points ahead of seventh-placed Middlesbrough.

• The club finishing sixth in this division has won promotion through the play-offs five times in 20 years.

• Cardiff are participating in their sixth play-off campaign, and third in successive seasons. They gained promotion to the second tier through them in 2003, lost to Blackpool in the Wembley final in 2010, and were knocked out at this stage by Reading last year.

• The Welsh club have spent the last nine seasons in the second tier, and last played top-flight football in 1962.

• Manager Malky Mackay was part of the Watford team that beat Leeds 3-0 in the 2006 Championship play-off final, at the Millennium Stadium.

West Ham United

• The Hammers missed out on automatic promotion by two points, but also ended the regular season with four wins in six games. They lost one of the last 18 to wind up third.

• The club finishing third has been the most successful in the play-offs over the last 20 years, gaining promotion seven times - the most recent being Swansea last season.

• West Ham are aiming to make an immediate return to the Premier League. They qualified for the final in both previous experiences of the play-offs, and were successful in 2005, beating Preston in the final at the Millennium Stadium, when Malky Mackay was at the club, but did not play.

• These will be the fourth play-offs in which Sam Allardyce has managed a club. He took Bolton up to the Premier League via this route in 2001

COYFI

Just a thought , what happens with Nolan after he reached his 10 yellows at UP last Saturday , will he serve a two match ban or is it all scrubbed clean ?

Last edited by Admin on Wed 02 May 2012, 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Cardiff v West Ham United  Play Offs 1st Leg Empty Re: Cardiff v West Ham United Play Offs 1st Leg

Post  Admin Mon 30 Apr 2012, 5:10 pm

Fat Sam today

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce was happy that the Hammers once again have promotion to the Barclays Premier League back in their own hands.

Big Sam and his squad were back at Chadwell Heath on Sunday morning after Saturday's 2-1 win against Hull City did not prove to be quite enough as Southampton secured the final automatic promotion spot. That means West Ham will now face a Play-Off semi-final away at Cardiff City on Thursday before a Bank Holiday Monday second leg to decide who goes through to the Wembley final.

"It'll be a Bank Holiday Monday and everyone will be looking to finishing the long weekend off by coming here and supporting us and hoping that we can get through the two-legged tie," said the boss.

"We just have to not worry about it and relax and enjoy the couple of days that we'll have to recover from Saturday, not just with ourselves, but at home with our families, to make sure we rest the bodies and get as much mental and physical fatigue out as you can.

"We're stronger and fitter than we were at the start of the season and that's an important thing at this stage of the season. We've increased the fitness levels by preparing and recovering and using them in the right way and keeping them as fresh as we can."

Allardyce had the luxury of a near fully-fit squad on Saturday and will help the minor knocks and bumps will be patched up in time for Thursday night's game. James Tomkins and Kevin Nolan are both expected to be passed fit from head and leg injuries respectively, while there is some concern that Gary O'Neil will not make the game after a strong second-half tackle from Hull's Corry Evans left him with a sore right ankle.

"The main problem is the short time between now and Thursday after 46 long and tough games," said Big Sam. "We could have done with a bit longer to overcome the injuries that we might have but the schedules have to be met and that's where it fits it in.

"I had 21 players available on Saturday and I think the last time I had that was about five games in. The rest of the injured players have recovered and they'll come back into the squad.

"The players who are in very good form are key to us. The only disappointment from Saturday was that it was out of our hands and the injury to Gary O'Neil, which was very unfortunate and for him considering how well he's been playing."

West Ham will go into the Play-Offs full on a high, having lost just once since 1 February and with four wins in their last six games. Better still, Carlton Cole's brace against the Tigers demonstrated how Big Sam's strikers have started finding the net again on a regular basis, which is unlikely to have gone unnoticed by Cardiff City's Malky Mackay.

"We will all go into the game with a lot of confidence as we're playing well and we've all produced good performances. We've had some disappointing draws but the performances weren't bad but the end result was.

"18 games with one defeat is very good. We'll see what happens in the semis and then we'll worry about the final after."

Big Sam admitted that although there was some frustration that West Ham were unable to leapfrog the Saints on the final day, he knows that the togetherness of his squad will ensure only positive emotions will remain going into Thursday. Undoubtedly the support of the Hammers faithful be essential to maintain the good vibes, with the 35,000 packed into the Boleyn Ground on Saturday making West Ham's game the second-highest attended game in the country on the day.

"Coming into the ground on a day-to-day basis makes you smile as we've got a fantastic group of players. We're disappointed that we haven't achieved our ultimate goal of automatic promotion.

"What I've got to do is show them the way forward and produce that form that will be good enough for the Play-Offs two legs and not concern ourselves with the final or even think about it yet.

"Of the 30 teams that have been relegated in the last ten years, only eight have gone straight back up. For four of last five seasons, 86 points were enough and that shows you we are a bit unlucky but we've got to master our own destiny and prove that what we've got is good enough."
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Cardiff v West Ham United  Play Offs 1st Leg Empty Re: Cardiff v West Ham United Play Offs 1st Leg

Post  Charlie Ham Mon 30 Apr 2012, 8:42 pm

Took ages getting home tickets today due to West Ham silly queuing system, kept cutting to busy tone.
    Now have tickets for the crew and son number one and his crew are going to Cardiff.
    Only 3 more wins to go. WH Flag
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Mon 30 Apr 2012, 8:52 pm

I heard that lots of peeps have had problems getting tickets sorted the last two days , typical WH . Sorted a final ticket out , if we make it WH Flag
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 30 Apr 2012, 11:27 pm

I think I have booked mine online but I have had no confirmation whatsoever and when I try to check my booking history to make sure the page will not load

Typical West Ham lack of organisation
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Tue 01 May 2012, 10:07 am

going to try tomorrow morning to book on line, made sure got nothing else to do on Monday!
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Tue 01 May 2012, 10:13 am

Been over to Cardiffy Chat , here,s some feedback

Colin's Reversible Hat

I think we'll bring 2000 easy, nice kick off time and all that, even if the restrictions we had on us earlier in the season were a bit farcical.

I'm quietly confident about this year's playoffs, feels strange going in as the underdog when we've lost the past 2 seasons as favourites. There's clearly more belief and determination in this squad than seasons past though. It just depends whether or not we can match the class of some of your players over 180 minutes; having said that, with both teams on good runs, I wouldn't be surprised if extra time or penalties has to decide it in the end.

Hopefully a Cardiff Birmingham final, then another good show from us at Wembley this season but ending the right way. Anything can happen mind!

Riversideblue

I think we'll stuff ewe butt!!

Windsor Bluebird

We will fill our allocation at the Anne Boleyn stadium if the the Old Bill allow

However if you lot don't win with the amount of money you've spent and the players you've got then Big Sam will have to go.

JamesWales

Cardiff-Blackpool final.

God makes no mistakes, except the 2010 play off final result.
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Tue 01 May 2012, 12:58 pm

I couldnt get an away ticket - not enough priority points.

Que'd for ages on the phone to get my home ticket.

We'll beat Cardiff & hope that we get Blackpool in the final.
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Tue 01 May 2012, 6:00 pm

Son number 2 has heard he has aticket for the away leg so both my boys and their crew are going.
    We will all be there for the home leg and will get tickets for Wembley.

West Ham & Birmingham in final.

Only 3 more wins to go.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Tue 01 May 2012, 9:32 pm

Finally got through on the phone and had it confirmed that my online booking went through. Bring it on !!
    Suzanne Claret
    Suzanne Claret
    1st Team Bench

Post  Suzanne Claret Wed 02 May 2012, 9:19 am

A wee drink-ette before the game MrP ??
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Wed 02 May 2012, 10:01 am

Wee cheesey grin
    mottinghammer
    mottinghammer
    1st Team Bench

Post  mottinghammer Wed 02 May 2012, 10:11 am

Ticket booked Alpari Lower L288, lets see if I can get to this one! WH Flag
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Wed 02 May 2012, 10:28 am

Have a good one Motty , shame you could,nt make it last Saturday , another time eh
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Wed 02 May 2012, 10:30 am

Got through this morning with little hassle. Alpari A122 for me. Luvly jubbly.

Now watch us lose the away leg 16-0 now I have a ticket!!
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Wed 02 May 2012, 12:32 pm

Enjoy stu and think positive dude Very Happy
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Wed 02 May 2012, 4:19 pm

Sausages for the game tomorrow

Sky Sports 1 (UK/Ireland) its on the box so will be more streams , post them when I find them

LiveOnlineFooty.com - Channels 3 & 6
    LiveFootballStreams.tv
    FlashSportStreams.tv
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Wed 02 May 2012, 5:18 pm

So, it all comes down to 450 minutes of football and competed by four sides. As much as everyone would love a crystal ball so the agony of the next 3 weeks could be resolved now, nobody knows what the future may hold for West Ham, Birmingham, Blackpool or Cardiff. So we have turned to a generic Championship website – footballforums.net – to see who fans of other sides think will progress to the Premier League after this season’s shake up.

Cardiff City fan: We'll probably be fancied the least this year of all the teams & a massive deal less than we were the previous two seasons, but going into them 10 games unbeaten the lads can hold their heads up high & do the best they can to at least enjoy them. A lot of young players can take something from the experience. The least pressure, which is a nice feeling to have this year.

Bristol City fan: I've a funny feeling that Cardiff will do it this time. They are in good form, and no longer have serial bottler Dave Jones as manager. Would like to see Blackpool do it again though.

Nottingham Forest fan: My predictions-

1st leg- Cardiff 2-1 West Ham

2nd leg- West Ham 2-0 Cardiff

aggregate- West Ham 3-2 Cardiff

1st leg- Blackpool 1-1 Birmingham

2nd leg Birmingham 3-2 Blackpool ET

aggregate- Birmingham 4-3 Blackpool

Final- West Ham 0-1 Birmingham

Colchester United fan: Hopefully West Ham, think they have enough to do it but all of the play off games should be very tight. I'll go with a West Ham 2-2 Blackpool (4-3 on Pens) final.

West Ham fan: Think it will be a West Ham v Blackpool final with Blackpool winning it.

Southampton fan: Blackpool I think are the form side heading into this, and therefore will win.

Norwich fan: Blackpool is my tip. I think West Ham are generally too erratic at home and Cardiff is a hard place to go.

Leyton Orient Fan: Another Cardiff-Blackpool final, think it'll be a Cardiff win.

Watford fan: Went for Blackpool - Holloway may be annoying but they play good attacking football; Cardiff - Manky Mal, say no more; Wet Spam - can't stand Allardyce; Birmingham -ah poor souls, their poor owner is a conniving thief and they have no money...other than the £60 million parachute payments...

Crystal Palace fan: Birmingham vs West Ham final with Birmingham coming out on top

Brighton fan: Think and want Brum to do it. Great fans, decent team and I like the manager too. Still annoyed Boro didn't make it.

Burnley fan: I hope Blackpool win them but think its going to be Birmingham.

Leeds United fan: I predict -

Cardiff 1 West Ham 1

West Ham 2 Cardiff 1

Birmingham 2 Blackpool 0

Blackpool 3 Birmingham 2

Final

West Ham 1 Birmingham 1

Birmingham win 5-4 on penalties.

Preston fan: Hope Birmingham do it, can't stand the other 3 teams. Think they're strongest going into it, with Blackpool (unfortunately) second favourites. Can't see Cardiff having a chance this season, but they've been favourites many times before and fluffed it up, so being least favourites this year may w**k in their favour.

Swansea fan: West Ham to beat Blackpool in the final although i would like to see Blackpool come up.
    Birmingham fan: Can't believe so many people are predicting us to go up. Judging by our league performances against the three teams, Blackpool may seem our best bet. Our 3-0 win against them at St.Andrews was one of our best performances all season. Probably our best in the Championship other than Millwall away.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Wed 02 May 2012, 7:13 pm

Suzanne Claret wrote:A wee drink-ette before the game MrP ??

It would be extremely rude not to Mrs M !
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Thu 03 May 2012, 5:32 am

Refs for the two legs

Play off referee appointments
    By Michael Morris
    Updated Thursday, 3rd May 2012
    Cardiff City RSS Feed

Neil Swarbrick and Mike Dean are the referees allocated to the Cardiff/West Ham play off matches.
    NEIL SWARBRICK will take charge of the first leg at Cardiff City Stadium tonight. He will be assisted by Ron Ganfield and Simon Long. The Fourth Official is Anthony Taylor
    Mr Swarbrick sent off two West Ham players when they lost 3 - 0 at Reading in December. He has officiated three Cardiff gams in the past with City winning all three. The last one was Craig Bellamy's debut in 2010 when City beat Doncaster 4 - 0.
    This season he has issued 103 yellow and 7 red cards in 29 games.
    MIKE DEAN is the referee at Upton Park next Monday. He will be assisted by Gary Beswick and John Flynn. The Fourth Official is Michael Oliver.
    Mr Dean was the man who took charge of City's 2008 FA Cup final against Portsmouth. He was in charge of City's Carling Cup semi final defeat at Selhurst Park against Crystal Palace this season and last night was the referee at The Reebok for Bolton's home defeat against Spurs.
    You have to go back to April 1999 to find his first game in charge of Cardiff City. A 0-0 draw at Cambridge.
    This season he has issued 139 yellow and 4 red cards in 41 games.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Thu 03 May 2012, 7:27 am

I am not happy with either appointment TBH. Swarbrick is plain useless and Mike Dean wants to be the centre of attention as he struts around trying to look good Sad
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Thu 03 May 2012, 8:26 am

McDonald bigs up Fat Sam and
    "We don't just have a plan A, we have a plan B and a plan C. If we have to do something we have never done before we will do it.

Shame he did,nt have this plan b and c for the whole season instead of just for the playoffs
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Thu 03 May 2012, 2:59 pm

Admin wrote:
    Cardiff v West Ham United  Play Offs 1st Leg ClubLogoCardiff v West Ham UnitedCardiff v West Ham United  Play Offs 1st Leg ClubLogo

COYFI

Just a thought , what happens with Nolan after he reached his 10 yellows at UP last Saturday , will he serve a two match ban or is it all scrubbed clean ?

Not too sure, but reckon it would have made the headlines by now if he was. Aren't the playoffs a seperate issue to the league?
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Thu 03 May 2012, 4:25 pm

Could well be but really they should count and cost. But seeing as we will benefit then we will play along!

I just hope Sheff Utd don't find out.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Thu 03 May 2012, 4:26 pm

Check this place out peeps [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , free to the end of the season ,HD . Just tried this one and I,m in , just have to wait untill 7:45 COYFI

Or

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - we’re on Sky Sports 1
    or good stream at
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Channels 1 and 2

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 7:15 am