West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+3
lizzie
Charlie Ham
Admin
7 posters

I dont adam & eve it

Admin
    Admin
    1st team

I dont adam & eve it Empty I dont adam & eve it

Post  Admin Thu 29 Mar 2012, 5:14 pm

The slang is dying out amid London’s diverse, multi-cultural society, new research has revealed.

A study of 2,000 adults, including half from the capital, found the world famous East End lingo which has been mimicked and mocked for decades is on the wane.

The survey, commissioned by The Museum of London, revealed almost 80 per cent of Londoners do not understand phrases such as 'donkey’s ears’ - slang for years.

Other examples of rhyming slang which baffled participants included 'mother hubbard’, which means cupboard, and 'bacon and eggs’ which means legs.
    Related Articles

Significantly, Londoners’ own knowledge of the jargon is now almost as bad as those who live outside of the capital.

Yesterday, Alex Werner, head of history collections at the Museum of London, said: “For many people, Cockney rhyming slang is intrinsic to the identity of London.

“However this research suggests that the Cockney dialect itself may not be enjoying the same level of popularity.

“The origins of Cockney slang reflects the diverse, immigrant community of London’s East End in the 19th century so perhaps it’s no surprise that other forms of slang are taking over as the cultural influences on the city change.”

The term 'cokenay’ was used in The Reeve’s Tale, the third story in Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, to describe a child who was “tenderly brought up” and “effeminate”.

By the early 16th century the reference was commonly used as a derogatory term to describe town-dwellers. Later still, it was used to indicate those born specifically within earshot of the ringing of Bow-bell at St Mary-le-Bow church in east London.

Research by The Museum of London found that just 20 per cent of the 2,000 people questioned knew that 'rabbit and pork’ meant talk.

It also emerged that very few of those polled understood the meaning of tommy tucker (supper), watch the custard and jelly (telly) or spend time with the teapot lids (kids).

Instead, the report found that most Londoners now have a grasp of just a couple of Cockney phrases such as tea leaf (thief), and apples and pears (stairs).

The most-used cockney slang was found to be the phrase 'porky pies’ with 13 per cent of those questioned still using it. One in 10 used the term 'cream crackered’.

Forty per cent of the study also said they felt cockney rhyming slang was dying out, and a third admitted they were sad it was fading away.

David Crystal, honorary professor of linguistics at Bangor University, said: “Cockney slang was never very widely known as it started as a secret way for people to talk to each other. As soon as the slang became known the cockney’s stopped using it

“What I’ve noticed is that there are still quite a lot of people out there inventing new rhyming slang.

“In my files I’ve seen in the last two or three years slang such as 'he was wearing his Barack Obamas’, meaning pyjamas and 'he’s on the Adrian Mole’, meaning dole.

“So while it might be true that cockney slang may be dying out it’s worth pointing out that whatever started our impulse to rhyme words is still with us today.”

I,d like to point out East London is full of foreign types and they are not gonna use the slang are they . Oh and while I am at it , one of the main reason I would like to move from UP is down to the bloody state of the area nowadays , its a shit hole around the ground and a bloody embarrassment

Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

I dont adam & eve it Empty Re: I dont adam & eve it

Post  Charlie Ham Thu 29 Mar 2012, 5:48 pm

That’s because we are all posh now.
    lizzie
    lizzie
    Academy

Post  lizzie Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:06 pm

Well, I'll be off dahn the frog and toad to the local rub-a-dub for a Vera Lynn later! Very Happy
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Thu 29 Mar 2012, 6:15 pm

lizzie wrote:Well, I'll be off dahn the frog and toad to the local rub-a-dub for a Vera Lynn later! Very Happy

Mother ruin.
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:08 pm

A Vera and Phil?
    manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Post  manurewa hammer Fri 30 Mar 2012, 11:01 am

Talk to ya on the Dog and bone later!
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Fri 30 Mar 2012, 11:20 am

You'll have a job, I'm mutton (Mutt and Jeff)
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Fri 30 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

please speak English
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:57 pm

JulianDicksLeftKnee wrote:You'll have a job, I'm mutton (Mutt and Jeff)

Or Geoff Laughing
    Nicki
    Nicki
    Academy

Post  Nicki Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:59 pm

cheesey grin
    IronDane wrote:please speak English

One thing my uncle who worked at Billingsgate always said when it was time to leave was " Time for me to hop the twig" i have never found out the origins of this - anyone know?
    IronDane
    IronDane
    Reserves

Post  IronDane Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

maybe not a cockney rhyme but equivalent to hitting the sack, maybe ?
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

Nicki wrote: cheesey grin
    IronDane wrote:please speak English

One thing my uncle who worked at Billingsgate always said when it was time to leave was " Time for me to hop the twig" i have never found out the origins of this - anyone know?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] must say I,ve never heard of it Nicki

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 9:41 pm