West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+4
Charlie Ham
Tony P
alfiehammer
Jiggs
8 posters

Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man

Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man  Empty Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man

Post  Jiggs Fri 11 Apr 2014, 6:09 pm

They are the marathon men of the Premier League, the players who put in the hard yards for their side. Some of them average more than 10km every game, a superb show of stamina in anyone’s book.
    And, on the eve of the London Marathon, when 36,000 runners will pound the 26.2 miles around the capital, we can reveal who has been going the furthest for your team.
    For supporters of West Ham it will come as little surprise to learn that crowd favourite Mark Noble has covered more ground than any other player in the top flight.
    Indeed, the 380,927 metres which he has galloped is some 16km more than his nearest running rival.
    Noble’s effort is the equivalent of having already completed NINE London Marathons this season.
    Or, in footballing terms, having set off from Upton Park and not stopped until he got to Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium on Teesside.
    There have been calls in some parts for Noble to be recognised with an international call-up for his performances this term. 

Read more:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

TOP TEN DISTANCES COVERED IN 2013/2014 PREMIER LEAGUE
    PositionPlayerDistance (m)
    1Mark Noble
    2Mile Jedinak
    3Steve Sidwell
    4Jordan Henderson
    5Adam Lallana
    6Jake Livermore
    Steven Caulker
    8Jay Rodriguez
    9Tom Huddlestone
    10Ryan Shawcross
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man  Empty Re: Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man

Post  alfiehammer Sun 13 Apr 2014, 9:08 pm

Can't knock his work rate...
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man  Empty Re: Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man

Post  Tony P Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:09 am

Statistics can tell you anything you want them to

How about this? I would rather Noble kept his shape in front of the back four, marked the man he is supposed to be marking and didn't run around the pitch chasing the ball like a schoolboy - clocking up miles. It may fool some. At times it looks undisciplined and unnecessary to me

Stands back and waits for pro-Noble flack !
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Mon 14 Apr 2014, 8:54 am

nothing wrong with an intelligent comment dude. and blindly defending or slagging off any player is just puerile, every player has his strengths and weaknesses. Just some of our players have had (much) more weaknesses then pluses.

I was gonna say it didn't matter how much ground a midfielder covers if the ball is played long over his head half the time  Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man  3953004961 

I do think noble is one of our better players mind. the 5 live team certianly sung his praises vs liverpool
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm

Tony P wrote:Statistics can tell you anything you want them to

How about this? I would rather Noble kept his shape in front of the back four, marked the man he is supposed to be marking and didn't run around the pitch chasing the ball like a schoolboy - clocking up miles. It may fool some. At times it looks undisciplined and unnecessary to me

Stands back and waits for pro-Noble flack !

Headless chicken comes to mind.
    Can do something really good then buggers it up with his next move.
    Reminds me a little bit of Rio Coker.
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:58 pm

none of the players in that list are really anyone you'd immediately think or to put on a list of the 'best' players.

if you're running around so much maybe you're just not in the right position or you're just chasing the game all the time.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Mon 14 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm

westhamonkey wrote:

none of the players in that list are really anyone you'd immediately think or to put on a list of the 'best' players.

if you're running around so much maybe you're just not in the right position or you're just chasing the game all the time.

My point exactly
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Tue 15 Apr 2014, 8:15 am

Ok I will defend Nobes on this one, sort of.
    I think to a degree the above comments are correct BUT, there are a few other players that should be putting in a harder shift around him
    I think Nobes does get pulled out of position on too many occasions but that is due to the fact that he is covering others, its what we get for having a slow lumbering midfield
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Tue 15 Apr 2014, 5:55 pm

Campo wrote:Ok I will defend Nobes on this one, sort of.
    I think to a degree the above comments are correct BUT, there are a few other players that should be putting in a harder shift around him
    I think Nobes does get pulled out of position on too many occasions but that is due to the fact that he is covering others, its what we get for having a slow lumbering midfield

an eloquent and well thought out defence sir
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Tue 15 Apr 2014, 7:14 pm

There is certainly some truth in that Campo but not a lot. Taylor tends to stay pretty central and hardly ventures over the halfway line. McCartney used to get forward but hardly does it now. Therefore the only covering Noble would need to do would seem to be in wide areas. Certainly Diame gives no protection to his full back and clearly doesn't want to be playing out wide. Hopefully tonight he will play just behind AC. His best position IMO

Noble regularly closes down high up the pitch. That is NOT his job. That is AC and Nolan's job. He needs to understand that his role in the side in our formation is to sit alongside Taylor in front of the back four, win tackles and give it simple. That allows our full backs to get forward. His job is NOT to be Roy of the Rovers and run around clocking up miles in his legs; especially as he hasn't got the pace to recover quickly enough

If he realises his role and sticks to it he will be a much better player for us
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Wed 16 Apr 2014, 8:38 am

maybe I did not use the correct words or phrases
    When I say Nobes is 'covering'  I mean he is covering the lack of closing down, not necessarily those out of position
    sometime we allow opposing midfield to collect and move the ball far to easily
    I feel and i may be wrong that we back off far to quickly at times in the midfield in order to pack the back line.

this also leaves us with the next problem, that when we do regain possession of the ball the only outlet being the hoof to Carroll in the hope he can keep the damn thing, our lack of fluidity is why we end up with around 40% possession most games, this again is probably due to our very slow midfield also.
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Wed 16 Apr 2014, 6:49 pm

a slow and technically poor central midfield Campo. Our ball retention is awful. Possibly the worst in the Prem
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Wed 16 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm

Tony P wrote:
    There is certainly some truth in that Campo but not a lot. Taylor tends to stay pretty central and hardly ventures over the halfway line. McCartney used to get forward but hardly does it now. Therefore the only covering Noble would need to do would seem to be in wide areas. Certainly Diame gives no protection to his full back and clearly doesn't want to be playing out wide. Hopefully tonight he will play just behind AC. His best position IMO

Noble regularly closes down high up the pitch. That is NOT his job. That is AC and Nolan's job. He needs to understand that his role in the side in our formation is to sit alongside Taylor in front of the back four, win tackles and give it simple. That allows our full backs to get forward. His job is NOT to be Roy of the Rovers and run around clocking up miles in his legs; especially as he hasn't got the pace to recover quickly enough

If he realises his role and sticks to it he will be a much better player for us

trouble is, as u said, that is clearly not happening...
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:33 am

Tony P wrote:a slow and technically poor central midfield Campo. Our ball retention is awful. Possibly the worst in the Prem

One of the pluses from the other night was Nocerino, who at times seemed to have far more time on the ball than out other midfielders, he can play a ball too
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Thu 17 Apr 2014, 6:10 pm

He has to be a contender for HOTY.  I think he does a great job  heart
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Thu 17 Apr 2014, 10:30 pm

Well his crows nest will go down in history
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Thu 17 Apr 2014, 10:30 pm

Jiggs wrote:He has to be a contender for HOTY.  I think he does a great job  heart

Nocerino? Nah? Not played enough games  Very Happy 
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:23 pm

Tony P wrote:
    Jiggs wrote:He has to be a contender for HOTY.  I think he does a great job  heart

That's what will probably make him a contender  Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man  1290824782 
    Charlie Ham
    Charlie Ham
    1st Team Bench

Post  Charlie Ham Fri 18 Apr 2014, 9:19 am

alfiehammer wrote:
    Tony P wrote:

That's what will probably make him a contender  Noble is the the Premier League's marathon man  1290824782 

I can't think of anyone this season who deserves HOTY.
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Fri 18 Apr 2014, 10:56 am

Exactly Charlie, so it's the always running, ever present and passionate Noble,
    with Adrian as runner up.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Fri 18 Apr 2014, 6:33 pm

I would have gone for Reid at one point but he disappeared off the radar

Nolan had a great run of inspiring us to that cluster of points that will probably end up keeping us up. That's about it
    Tony P
    Tony P
    1st Team Bench

Post  Tony P Fri 18 Apr 2014, 10:56 pm

Charlie Ham wrote:
    alfiehammer wrote:
    Tony P wrote:

I can't think of anyone this season who deserves HOTY.

Me neither. The most consistent performer - who has been playing all season - is Stewart Downing IMO. Normally a 7 or 8 out of 10. Adrian right up there since he came into the side. Noble has been decent too

Like Charlie Ham says there is nobody who really deserves an award won by the likes of Bonzo, Sir Trev, Stretch or PDC
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Sun 20 Apr 2014, 5:13 pm

Dylan for HotY. Nuff said
    Jiggs
    Jiggs
    1st team

Post  Jiggs Sun 20 Apr 2014, 7:57 pm

We discussed this yesterday JDLK, but Abbi seemed to recall that you were given a list to chose from.

If I get the opportunity though, my vote will go to Dylan.
    Arran H
    Reserves

Post  Arran H Sun 20 Apr 2014, 8:39 pm

It`s a shame that we have to choose from a list as like many people have said giving HOTY to Dylan Tombides would of been a perfect way of honouring him ! But out list of name`s we have been given I think it`s between Noble, Reid and Adrian

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 10:30 pm