West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+2
manurewa hammer
Campo
6 posters

Sundee gossip

Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Sundee gossip Empty Sundee gossip

Post  Campo Sun 17 Jun 2012, 8:07 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

QPR will wrap up a deal for West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green while the 32-year-old is on England duty at Euro 2012.

And manager Mark Hughes has also persuaded Spurs defender Ryan Nelsen to join him at Loftus Road.

Green left West Ham on a Bosman and his representatives have agreed a £40,000-aweek contract that will allow QPR keeper Paddy Kenny to go to Leeds United.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    SJ Sandos has his view on WHTID

If the latest reports are to be believed, Robert Green is on the verge of agreeing a Bosman move to QPR. It has been reported that Green has agreed a three year deal worth £40,000 a week. And QPR representatives have flown out to the Euro-Championships, where Green is currently on England duty, to clinch the deal. This is despite alternative interest from Spurs and WBA, who have either not pursued their initial interest or have been beaten to the punch by QPR.

No doubt financially it is a very good deal for Green. Not only does he get a reported £40,000 a week basic wage, but as a Bosman he also gets to negotiate his signing on fee, which will be substantial. In footballing terms, who knows? He is likely to play on a regular basis at QPR, something that is not guaranteed at a club like Spurs. A lot will depend on whether QPR are able to substantially strengthen their squad this summer and avoid a repeat of last season's PL struggles. Will West Ham out perform QPR in next season's PL? Obviously, It depends on our success in the transfer market and the ability of key current players to perform in the PL? Many neutrals will interprete this as a sideways move for Rob Green, in terms of the respective prospects of both club's next season.

I personally think that we Hammers supporters should wish Green well and bid him a fond farewell, without bitterness or grudge. West Ham obviously had the option to sign him on a new deal and decided that they could not meet his wage demands. So he has walked and is apparently in the process of joining a club that has met his valuation of his worth; as well as securing a Bosman signing on fee. And who can blame him in all honesty? Rumour has it that Green was the lowest paid senior professional at the club, which is surprising when you consider the consistency of his performances and his ongoing importance to us. There have been rumours over the last two seasons concerning a new deal for Green, only for talks between player and club to apparently break down, or be suspended, depending on what version you have heard! Regardless, the new deal did not materialise and the 11th hour bid to reach agreement ultimately proved abortive.

For the initial £2m fee, we got six seasons of sterling service. Green did very well for us, with his characteristic reaction saves. Every season, he pulled off wonder saves from opposition efforts that had 'goal written all over them.' In that sense, he definitely saved us points most seasons. Even in the dire relegation season of 2010-11 he was one of thevery few West Ham players to emerge with any credit. And thereafter, even though Green's future remained uncertain, he put in another committed series of performances last season. Green's final contribution to the club being his performance against Blackpool in the Play-off Final at Wembley. A key moment being that close range, near post, save from Scott Dobie in the early stages of the match. However, Rob Green's finest hour was doubtedly his vital contribution to the great escape of 2006-07. In particular, who can ever forget his performance against Arsenal, at the Emirates, that guaranteed our 0-1 win and a very unlikely 3 points. It was undoubtedly one of the finest displays of goal keeping that I have ever witnessed and will forever be enshrined in Hammers folklore.

Some wll argue that Green has his weaknesses as a keeper. Most commonly cited is his alleged failure to consistently command his area and collect high ball in to the box. That may be true, but it must also be admitted that he has some countervailing attributes that have to be recognised and given due weight. The bottom line is that Green was a good servant to the club and we should honour his past contribution. Time will tell if it is a good move, in football terms, for him; as well as determine whether West Ham have made a major mistake in not meeting his contract demands? But the truth is the club is bigger than any one player and there will always come a time when there has to be a parting of the ways, even for the greatest and most loyal of Hammers players.

Lets bid Rob Green a fond farewell and look to the future. I must admit that I would have preferred to keep him at the club, but it was not to be. So, a new goal keeping era opens with hope and optimism. The Goal keeper is the foundation building block of all good sides, upon which the defence is constructed. Jussi, Henderson and any other keeper that we recruit must rise to the challenge, next season, of filling the gap created by the departure of a good Hammers custodian! Upwards and onwards! COYI !

SJ. Chandos.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

CRYSTAL PALACE WANT WEST HAM STRIKER ON-LOAN

manurewa hammer
    manurewa hammer
    Reserves

Sundee gossip Empty Re: Sundee gossip

Post  manurewa hammer Sun 17 Jun 2012, 8:35 am

Green and Nelsen- good business by Hughes! I
    a) wanted to keep Greeno
    b) would have liked to sign Nelsen
    Never mind.
    Admin
    Admin
    1st team

Post  Admin Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:23 am

Read somewhere on Twitter yesterday that talks have broken down with Rob and QPR , hmmm
    shaun of the thread
    shaun of the thread
    Boot Cleaner

Post  shaun of the thread Sun 17 Jun 2012, 11:38 pm

Have herd QPR were interested but thought maybe it was just talk to get contracts sorted . Will be a big loss to us imo and hard to replace. He had been a good signing and always turned up and put a shift in, probs saved us a few games too.

I hope where ever he goes he continues to do well and non of us boo or give him stick. Real shame when he does go , but on the other hand looks like it's time to move forward and build a youngish team to move us forward.

Also is it just me or does anyone else think green would be better & look more confident in goal for England , Joe heart imo looks a bit unsure most of the time & worries me .
    Not say he ain't doing us good , just a lot of the time I dread them shooting as he leaves it till late to make the save.

Bear
    Blakey
    Blakey
    Reserves

Post  Blakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:58 am

Admin wrote:Read somewhere on Twitter yesterday that talks have broken down with Rob and QPR , hmmm

Yet I read the he's agreed a 5 year deal on 50K a week and a 2M signing on fee.
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:23 am

Blakey wrote:
    Admin wrote:Read somewhere on Twitter yesterday that talks have broken down with Rob and QPR , hmmm

Yet I read the he's agreed a 5 year deal on 50K a week and a 2M signing on fee.

that is what i have seen too
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    JulianDicksLeftKnee
    Reserves

Post  JulianDicksLeftKnee Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

That's what clungewhu said.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 8:04 pm