West Ham Cockney Boys

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
West Ham Cockney Boys

+11
JulianDicksLeftKnee
Hungry Hammer 66
alfiehammer
RichB
SemiOldIron
Charlie Ham
westhamonkey
Campo
Admin
Tony P
Jiggs
15 posters

Sam Allardyce chooses to ignore criticism of his team’s playing style

Hungry Hammer 66
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Boot Cleaner

Sam Allardyce chooses to ignore criticism of his team’s playing style - Page 3 Empty Re: Sam Allardyce chooses to ignore criticism of his team’s playing style

Post  Hungry Hammer 66 Fri 09 May 2014, 4:38 pm

Can only see him spunking transfer funds on another crop of average joes with no re-sale profits and another season of dire football while hoping their will be three worse than us at the end of the season
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Sam Allardyce chooses to ignore criticism of his team’s playing style - Page 3 Empty Re: Sam Allardyce chooses to ignore criticism of his team’s playing style

Post  alfiehammer Fri 09 May 2014, 5:18 pm

Hungry Hammer 66 wrote:Can only see him spunking transfer funds on another crop of average joes with no re-sale profits and another season of dire football while hoping their will be three worse than us at the end of the season

well it worked this season  Sam Allardyce chooses to ignore criticism of his team’s playing style - Page 3 3953004961 
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Hungry Hammer 66
    Boot Cleaner

Post  Hungry Hammer 66 Fri 09 May 2014, 5:37 pm

alfiehammer wrote:
    Hungry Hammer 66 wrote:Can only see him spunking transfer funds on another crop of average joes with no re-sale profits and another season of dire football while hoping their will be three worse than us at the end of the season

well it worked this season  Sam Allardyce chooses to ignore criticism of his team’s playing style - Page 3 3953004961 

Woo Hoo !! what a bench mark for our aspirations  Sam Allardyce chooses to ignore criticism of his team’s playing style - Page 3 200143081
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Fri 09 May 2014, 7:25 pm

we finished tenth last season... two or three more wins and we could have done the same this season...

as shit as we've been... in those terms it's job done - and again, having spoken at length to a Geordie about how much they HATE Pardew and want him out... managers who hit their 'targets' are unlikely to get the spanish archer.

The thing is... the points difference between bottom and 10th post is: 17 points

The difference between 10th and the top is: 36 points

When Palace played Liverpool and fucked up their season (hopefully) the points difference between them was 36 points - yet Liverpool had conceded more goals that Palace.

So the thing is... as much as we all hate the squeaky bum time - unless there's a big kick on, you are pretty much in the squeaky bum part of the table o the top ten because anything lower than tenth and you really have barely 40-50 points.

Which means it's going to take a big leap in terms of quality (which means a big leap in terms of expenditure) to go from 10th-20 to even 8th-9th.

I'm not completely convinced Allardyce is the person to get us there... but beyond that, I have no idea who could do that at all unless there's a major change in our financial fortunes and playing staff and I just don't see that happening in the short term.

So we got to go for small incremental steps...

we should have finished higher than 12th this season... but if we get 12th then that's not that much worse than tenth which means we're kinda stable.

what would probably help a lot might be a cup victory... it brings n money, exposure, the notion of success and if it got us into europe then that would be a big plus in terms of encouraging new and hopefully halfway decent players to sign for us... I mean... even Hull can offer european football (I know i's stupid) but it makes them one up on ManUre next season...

I don't think changing Sam will do much if anything at this stage... we need better players.
    He's out in a year unless something miraculous happens... so they'll probably stick with him and see where our third year in the Prem takes us.

If you're not 8th or 9th then you really could be anywhere from 10th to bottom with just a bad month or two in the season.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Fri 09 May 2014, 7:57 pm

westhamonkey wrote:

we finished tenth last season... two or three more wins and we could have done the same this season...

as shit as we've been... in those terms it's job done - and again, having spoken at length to a Geordie about how much they HATE Pardew and want him out... managers who hit their 'targets' are unlikely to get the spanish archer.

The thing is... the points difference between bottom and 10th post is: 17 points

The difference between 10th and the top is: 36 points

So the thing is... as much as we all hate the squeaky bum time - unless there's a big kick on, you are pretty much in the squeaky bum part of the table o the top ten because anything lower than tenth and you really have barely 40-50 points.

Which means it's going to take a big leap in terms of quality (which means a big leap in terms of expenditure) to go from 10th-20 to even 8th-9th.

I'm not completely convinced Allardyce is the person to get us there... but beyond that, I have no idea who could do that at all unless there's a major change in our financial fortunes and playing staff and I just don't see that happening in the short term.

So we got to go for small incremental steps...

we should have finished higher than 12th this season... but if we get 12th then that's not that much worse than tenth which means we're kinda stable.

i often seem to argue with a lot of things u say monkey man...moyes, the merits of relegated players, the validity of HOTY...(although i do always take the time to read your posts and like an alternative POV). But on this occasion u do make a very good point. There really wasn't many teams that didn't have a squeaky bum at some point...as there aren't many teams within our expenditure levels that have done much (any) better then us apart from saints and everton. I always think of the premier league as a game of roulette and over enough years every team has a bad one. this year it was fulham (last year wigan etc). looking forward to it being evertons.
    Campo
    Campo
    1st team

Post  Campo Fri 09 May 2014, 10:25 pm

to be fair to Sam , Adrian and Downing were good signings
    westhamonkey
    westhamonkey
    1st team

Post  westhamonkey Sat 10 May 2014, 2:19 am

don't think Downing was too much to sing about but without Adrian we might have been in a bit more bother than we were/are

so... going into the final game...

we sit in 12th spot. There is no way for us to finish higher than that.

Hull could overtake us based on the +/- goal ratios in theirs and our games

and further to that... so could either Swansea or Sunderland merely due to the fact that they play each other and although Villa are likely to lose to Spuds, they too could top us if results go one particular way.

all of which means, we could be anywhere from 12th to 15th by sunday evening.

So at season's end... there could a 56 point disparity between top and bottom of the table and only 10pts between the bottom and ourselves.

all of which just goes to show that unless you'e equipped to get into the top 10, you're never that far from a horrifying drop into the Chimpionship.
    alfiehammer
    alfiehammer
    Reserves

Post  alfiehammer Sat 10 May 2014, 7:44 am

i think Tony P pretty much said Downing was one of our players of the season and a rare ray of sunshine. when fit.

I honestly haven't watched a great deal of west ham this season to really comment.

I think its a bit early to write carroll off still. if he is a favourite to make the england squad for the summer then he couldn't have been to bad could he. 35000 voices in unison were all begging GAS to sign him 12 months ago.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 04 May 2024, 4:15 am